Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Sit-in......like it's 1981

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Sit-in......like it's 1981

Postby JoePublic » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:27 pm

I heard that in Alberta the twu was going to try a sit-in --- haven't heard anything about whether it happened or not --- I'm guessing they are still trying to set it up.

Any one else hear about this?????

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Sit-in......like it's 1981

Postby Domino » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:24 pm

I heard that in Alberta the twu was going to try a sit-in --- haven't heard anything about whether it happened or not --- I'm guessing they are still trying to set it up.

Nope. I didn't hear anything about it.

cragorn
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cragorn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:29 am

This wouldn't happen in 2005...and if it did, it would last a whole 3 hours. Back in 1981, things were different. Getting court injunctions and high priced lawyers and security and actually standing up to the union probably wouldn't or didn't happen. Today, publicly traded companies like TELUS are very aggressive and resourceful and wouldn’t take this standing down.

That’s the whole problem with labor movements. Companies have moved forward with different tactics while the union still lives in the dark ages performing the exact same thing that was performed 70 years ago.

All this would do is have more TWU members fired.

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:25 am

Someone enlighten me, what exactly is a "sit-in"?

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

cragorn
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cragorn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:41 am

A sit-in is the same thing as a lock-out however it's in reverse. So instead of the union being outside, they would lock themselves inside and take over the building. So you end up with employees on the outside that can't enter the building and union members inside that won't come out.

So they don't answer the phone, they don't do service calls, they don't fix equipment that has clearly failed....they simply sit-in the building and make sure no one can enter.

They basically took BC TEL's assets as a hostage back in 1981.

cragorn
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cragorn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:47 am

This is as close of a definition I could find

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sit-in

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:57 am

Seems to me that would be illegal aside from the question of how would they get in?

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Sep 10, 2005 8:24 am

A sit in (as you describe it) would be a very dangerous thing from the Unions point of view.

Taking over a buildingcould be done. However Telus has taken great pains to have security everywhere so you could count on the takeover being well documented. If the building is filled with equipment and something goes wrong with that equipment which is not addressed immediately the backlash from the public would be swift and have a negative impact on how the TWU is percieved.

PUBLIC PERCEPTION
Right now anything to do with service it is TELUS in the foreground and the Union in the background. That means that any issues with service are generally laid at Telus' door.

With a Sit in that changes: Now the Union is directly involved in Customer Service. It may still be Telus' fault but now both groups own the blame.

It's too late to do the Sit In.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:22 pm

isnt that what happened in the 81 job action for bctel didnt employees take over the buildings,they kept things running business as usual but kicked out management. I am sure telus was prepared for that kind of situation this time.

Return to “Rumour Mill”