Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Meals Cancelled.

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
Julie.S
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Meals Cancelled.

Postby Julie.S » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:13 am

I've heard a memo has been sent on the inside cancelling meals for the employees. Any truth to this from those on the inside?

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:57 am

Yes proudpicketer, er, I mean Julie.S. ... A memo was sent about meals being cancelled in some locations - namely Alberta locations.
Managers in B.C. still get two meals a day (no more dinners in B.C.)

The reasons given for the cancelation of food vouchers in Alberta is that since the vast majority of employees are back to work, and a large percentage of Alberta offices aren't even picketted any more, they're re-opening all the cafeterias starting Monday - it will then be pretty much back to business as usual, with the exception that about 1,200 unionized employees in that province still haven't realized that they should come in out of the cold.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:25 am

it sucks if you have to cross a picket line more than once. I would think they would at least help with lunch.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:23 pm

Well, the office cafeterias will be open, so you only have to cross for lunch if you want to go to the food fair, or a restaurant.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:09 pm

I don't mind crossing a picket line any time during the day. Its quite amusing to see the people who appear to have lost thier minds...I am also quite enjoying all the party favours... Its such a nice welcome entering the building!

So, given that we are provided $30/day to help out with costs of the strike... even if I did feel as though I couldn't cross the picketline, the company already compensates us for the hassle of having to eat Chicken Cordon TELUS...

Miles
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Miles » Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:17 am

The reasons given for the cancelation of food vouchers in Alberta is that since the vast majority of employees are back to work, and a large percentage of Alberta offices aren't even picketted any more
Lets assume Telus estimates are absolutely correct and the TWU is lying

how is 50% a vast majority?

Telus is saying 50% the union is saying 25% and as usual the truth lies somewhere in the middle

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:36 pm

I said a vast majority of employees are back to work in Alberta... 50% of them managers, and 25% of them union. 75% is a vast majority in my books.

Also, the TWU estimates are almost identical to the company estimates - nobosy said the TWU was lying... Brother Bell said 75% of unionized employees are respecting the picket line... well, that's 50% in BC and 25% in Alberta... just like the company said - though the number crossing in Alberta is just a fraction of a percent less that 60% now... so that's an even more vast majority.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:28 pm

scab i am confused by this .can you clarify. I thought we only spoke about bargaining members. That is all BruceBell would have data on. Please redo your post with only BU numbers in it.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:36 pm

Jorver, I think it's you that should re-read the post... I stated "the vast majority of employees in Alberta" not "BU employees in Alberta". We were not talking about BU employees. My post stands. Quit wasting my time.
The reasons given for the cancelation of food vouchers in Alberta is that since the vast majority of employees are back to work, and a large percentage of Alberta offices aren't even picketted any more, they're re-opening all the cafeterias starting Monday

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:06 pm

It can't really been seen as much of a coup that managers are crossing. That's their job. They aren't represented by the union. They don't have the option of not going in because of the dispute...though they do have the option to not do BU work. 25% of BU members crossing in AB? That figure is very close to what the union has been saying for weeks now.

Miles
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Miles » Fri Sep 09, 2005 2:55 am

Scab

I share in your figures of BU members crossing in AB

Telus has said in the media that up to 70% BU's have crossed

I hope you share in my anger that our employer would lie to us like that

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Fri Sep 09, 2005 6:17 am

Scab
I share in your figures of BU members crossing in AB
Telus has said in the media that up to 70% BU's have crossed
I hope you share in my anger that our employer would lie to us like that
Show me that media cliep Miles, I've never heard anyone ever say that 70% of the BU employees have crossed - that would be a rediculous claim - if you can provide me with proof that the company said that to the media, I'll personally start a thread entitled "!(a.scab) admits that he works for a pack of liars!"

Wwood
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Wwood » Fri Sep 09, 2005 8:52 am

It can't really been seen as much of a coup that managers are crossing. That's their job. They aren't represented by the union. They don't have the option of not going in because of the dispute...though they do have the option to not do BU work. 25% of BU members crossing in AB? That figure is very close to what the union has been saying for weeks now.
Domino,
My reading of what Bruce said is they they have the support of 75% of the members. He did not specify that 75% number applied to Alberta but to the entirety of the membership. If there are 13,700 members and 25% of them are crossing by his own counts. That is 3425 members crossing. That is well over half of AB.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:43 am

the telus payroll shows that a little more than 3200 have crossed in AB, of course that's last weeks numbers ... maybe Bruce knows of a couple hundred more that we haven't accounted for???

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Fri Sep 09, 2005 9:51 am

Domino,
My reading of what Bruce said is they they have the support of 75% of the members. He did not specify that 75% number applied to Alberta but to the entirety of the membership. If there are 13,700 members and 25% of them are crossing by his own counts. That is 3425 members crossing. That is well over half of AB.
Wwood. When the figures were taken the number given was only for people collecting picket pay. The union office has also spoken with many people who are not collecting pay but are choosing not to go in either. There are also a number of employees who are still on extended medical leave.

Return to “Rumour Mill”