Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Closing Down Offices

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
CandyApples
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Closing Down Offices

Postby CandyApples » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:45 am

I was talking to a neighbor today and they told me that they have relatives in Creston BC. The relatives told them that the Telus building there was emptied out and the people who were striking there are now looking for new employment. She except for one picket person who chooses to stay. They closed down the building and pulled out of Creston.
Does anyone know about this?

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:23 am

i dont know for sure but i would think that is one of the core jobs the company doesnt want to define. They may pull out of all the rural areas.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:32 pm

Hi Candy, That's actually two unrelated things, but they're both true - however, it doesn't mean what you think it does...

Many TELUS Stores and offices are closed across the province this is true, but it's a result of the strike - it doesn't mean those offices are permanently closed. In fact, all of them have signs on the door that say "Due to the current labour situation this location will be closed for the duration of the dispute"

Also, it's completely true that many union employees are currently looking for alternate employment. This is not because they've been laid off, but because they can't survive on strike pay, and need to suplement their income.

When the dispute is over, the stores/offices will re-open, and the people that were looking for temporary employment elsewhere will be back at work in them.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Wed Sep 07, 2005 6:03 pm

i dont know for sure but i would think that is one of the core jobs the company doesnt want to define. They may pull out of all the rural areas.
because god forbid they reduce costs that could allocate finances elsewhere

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:19 pm

because god forbid they reduce costs that could allocate finances elsewhere
You're absolutely right, Mow. Rural communities fon'e need phone service. They should just take their horseless carriage somewhere if they want to chat with others.

cragorn
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Closing Down Offices

Postby cragorn » Sat Sep 10, 2005 4:23 am

I was talking to a neighbor today and they told me that they have relatives in Creston BC. The relatives told them that the Telus building there was emptied out and the people who were striking there are now looking for new employment. She except for one picket person who chooses to stay. They closed down the building and pulled out of Creston.
Does anyone know about this?
I do not know anything personally of Creston however this subject has been popping up and it's even made a blip in the media. If you read between the lines, she is hinting quite hard about the subject. Focus especially on what I highlighted in red.

Labour battle puts TELUS call centre in question
Prince George Citizen
Page 3
September 3, 2005
By Paul Strickland

The president of TELUS Partner Solutions says she is disappointed by the actions of unionized TELUS employees on the picket line in Prince George and is questioning her decision to do more hiring.

"Prince George is breaking our heart right now," Karen Radford told the Citizen Friday in a teleconference.

TELUS has invested $58 million in a call centre station in Prince George and is putting another $1 million into the facility this year, Radford said. In addition, the company recently hired 30 people and has had plans to hire 65 more.
However, the actions of pickets in Prince George "make me think, 'Why would I hire for another 65 positions in Prince George?'," she said.

Radford said TELUS has about 300 employees in Prince George, including 160 at a call centre. These employees earn an average of $45,000 a year.

"It's amazing there are people out there on the street who make $5.28 per hour more than Bell customer service representatives make," Radford said. "That's 25 per cent more than Bell Canada CSRs, and in Toronto rent is a lot higher than in Prince George."

Unionized TELUS employees have been out since July 21.

Ron Williams, the Telecommunications Workers Union's business agent for northern B.C., said the central issue in the labour dispute is job security and the threat of contracting out, not money.

"If it was money, we would have settled long ago," he said.

Radford said unionized employees are guaranteed jobs under the contract provided by TELUS, and the union has misinterpreted the company's contract offer in this regard. In Prince George, plans call for contracting out 11 positions, but the employees affected would be guaranteed jobs elsewhere in the TELUS system, she said.

"It seems she hasn't read the contract language concerning contracting-out provisions," Williams said. "There is absolutely nothing in the contract language that the company has implemented that prevents them from contracting out -- just a notification clause that they'll notify the union when they contract out.

"The company is making money hand over fist," he said. "Shares are doing extremely well, and the company is paying dividends. There is no need for a company doing as well as this one changing their contract language to allow contracting out more jobs."

Radford said union leaders are misleading their members when they tell say TELUS is planning to move all jobs to a new call centre in the Philippines.

Williams said there is good reason for the concern. "They just invested a lot of money in a call centre in the Philippines," he said. "Given that they have made that investment there and are also wanting to change contracting-out language, it's made everyone suspicious."

Return to “Rumour Mill”