Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Fines

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
Ash
Site Wannabe Administrator

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:03 pm

As for bias...if there is no bias displayed by the board at the trial there is no justification for appeal on those grounds. You insist that the members of the trial board must give their handles in online forums. Ok, that's fair. But only if the person charged has to do the same and the information from both is supplied to the ombudsman only.
Revealing the VFC handle of the accused would only risk the increase odds of the trial being biased, so it depends if you want fair trials of vengence. Revealing the VFC handles of the Trial panels would theoretically allow both the accusor and the accused to eliminate the more biased of the panelists, and allow for a more transparent and fair process.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:30 am

Really, what is said and done by the trail board outside the trial itself isn't the issue if it comes to bias. The trial is simple. Is there evidence PROVING that the offence occured. If no, then there had better not be punishment or there is certainly a problem with the process and you'd better appeal. If yes, then is punishment for the offences consistent? If yes then all you have for appeal is the severity of the punishment. If no then you have a possible case for bias. One thing that is being done to reduce the chance of personal bias is to have the trial boards from other locals in the area conduct your trial. This way it is less likely that they will know you personally and have a personal bias against you.

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JoePublic » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:19 pm

I for one am not worried about these alleged charges....I won't accept unsolicited mail, so don't waste my time or your money. I won't waste a vacation day to make it to kangaroo court...take me to a real court and try to collect.

I have yet to hear anyone from the public tell me personally --- oh shame on you, you SCAB!!!!!!!!!!! I believe all I've heard is "Good for you to go back to work like the rest of the grown-ups".

I have had my picture taken many times, usually of my back and a few with a digital camera -- I wonder what the scrapbook will look like, hmmmmmmmmmm.

For those still picketing, I respect your decison to fight your fight. I made my decision on facts and walked away from everything for a couple of weeks to decipher who is lying to me the least. There's the twu version, TELUS version, media version and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

For those that have crossed GOOD ON YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:46 am

I for one am not worried about these alleged charges....I won't accept unsolicited mail, so don't waste my time or your money. I won't waste a vacation day to make it to kangaroo court...take me to a real court and try to collect.

I have yet to hear anyone from the public tell me personally --- oh shame on you, you SCAB!!!!!!!!!!! I believe all I've heard is "Good for you to go back to work like the rest of the grown-ups".

I have had my picture taken many times, usually of my back and a few with a digital camera -- I wonder what the scrapbook will look like, hmmmmmmmmmm.

For those still picketing, I respect your decison to fight your fight. I made my decision on facts and walked away from everything for a couple of weeks to decipher who is lying to me the least. There's the twu version, TELUS version, media version and somewhere in the middle is the truth.

For those that have crossed GOOD ON YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those have been my experiences as well. Most cab drivers (I've talked to many going back and forth from work) and general public have relayed their disgust for the picketers and their respect for my standing up for myself and what I believe in. As have parents, friends, acquaintances and relatives.

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Sat Sep 10, 2005 7:28 pm

I now have a general distrust and dislike for scab cab drivers. at least the ones here in the lower mainland ..they in the recent past had a job action and asked us to support them. Hypocrites.

Ash

Postby Ash » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:13 pm

Really, what is said and done by the trail board outside the trial itself isn't the issue if it comes to bias. The trial is simple. Is there evidence PROVING that the offence occured. If no, then there had better not be punishment or there is certainly a problem with the process and you'd better appeal. If yes, then is punishment for the offences consistent? If yes then all you have for appeal is the severity of the punishment. If no then you have a possible case for bias. One thing that is being done to reduce the chance of personal bias is to have the trial boards from other locals in the area conduct your trial. This way it is less likely that they will know you personally and have a personal bias against you.
Considering how emotional this whole dispute has gotten, I highly doubt that there are any union members left that are willing, much less able, to set aside their personal opinions/emotions and judge solely on the evidence.

Ash

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:18 pm

Ash
You judge too harshly.

Ash

Postby Ash » Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:58 am

Not at all. Look at all the people on VFC openly stating their hatred for the blockade runners, as well as how they have declared they are looking forward to getting revenge on them, and will try to drive the blockade runners out of the company. How impartial will they really be, even if they are ruling on members from a different local. Remember the VFC motto "a scab is a scab is a scab is a scab."

Ash

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:59 am

I would like to believe that that is just the intnetion of a few radicals and the majority will be fine with putting everything behind them....

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Sat Oct 01, 2005 9:43 am

Quite a few of the people on the picket lines want the scabs to be charged the maximum. The trial board members I've talked to, however, want to be fair about it. After the trials start and the trial board decisions are mailed out we'll see what they feel is fair.

RealityChick
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby RealityChick » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:04 am

Well I guess it really doesn't matter what any of them think is fair, whether they're trial board members or not. Because we all know damn well that none of us will be paying the TWU a cent of money for fines due to crossing their picket line. I don't know why the fines are really still up for dicussion. I guess it's more for entertainment value than anything because it's such a ridiculous concept and such a load of BS.

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Sat Oct 01, 2005 10:04 am

I now have a general distrust and dislike for scab cab drivers. at least the ones here in the lower mainland ..they in the recent past had a job action and asked us to support them. Hypocrites.
I have to ask, and I know this is way overdue as this post has been sitting here for almost a month now, but how exactly did you support them when they requested it? Did you refuse to give them service? I assume there was no fixing of their phones, and of course you went out and walked their picket lines. Oh and in the case of a general strike, you would have been more than happy to leave your $20+/hour job to go over and support their requests? I'm sure the pro-union people on this board will turn around and say yes, yes, and of course, but talk is cheap. I would like to see this in action.

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Oct 01, 2005 1:45 pm

it is easy to support someone elses job action when you don't lose any money by doing it.....

dante666
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dante666 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:49 pm

Here is my View on the "fairness" of having TWU members conduct a fair and un biased trial.

It's kinda like haveing the jury in an Assult case made up of the Victims family and friends... :shock: Compleatly fair and unbiased! :?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:01 pm

I still think that a jury of my peers would mean that the jury is made up entirely of crossers.... sounds fair to me...

Return to “Rumour Mill”