Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Fines

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
drvette
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby drvette » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:25 pm

This is my 3rd labour stoppage with BCTEL/TELUS and the TWU has threatened every time that there would be fines. Never has happened as far as I can recall. Just a threat.

The only the thing they will take away is the $1000 gift they give each member upon retirement.

BIG DEAL!!!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:16 am

Vette, three disputes? You should be called Dr. Vet(eran).

How much do you figure you have paid in union dues in that time?

drvette
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby drvette » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:57 am

Vette, three disputes? You should be called Dr. Vet(eran).

How much do you figure you have paid in union dues in that time?
Should say, 'How much have I wasted in union dues'.

Rather not think about it!!!

Hey, this stoppage wasn't a waste of time??? Had the summer off, my whole kitchen remodeled, new appliances, trip to Mexico ... money is really no object to me as TELUS is only a part of my income. :D

boob
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby boob » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:16 am

well bully for you what about all the young families with kids who are suffering, I am just amazed by the older work force who seem to think this is some sort of game and they are glad for the time off and probably wanted to be out on the street so they could get things done. meanwhile other people are loosing their shirts. I am not directing this at you personally but you just sound like so many others I picket with and it makes me furious. I wish they could never get back in.

drvette
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby drvette » Sat Nov 12, 2005 12:52 pm

I represent the older work force and I voted YES the first time and this time!!!

I have spoke to many of the younger ones on the picket lines and it seems to be the mentality of most of them. It's the younger ones that do not want to work and are keeping us all out!!!

And yes I agree with you. I too feel sorry for those that are suffering.

My attitude is that if I have to be out due to a bunch of TWU jerks trying to make a useless point then I might as well make the best of it!!!

It's wanting to work all these years that has put me in the financial position I am in.

wirely
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Re: Fines

Postby wirely » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:29 pm

The TWU is constantly saying that they will fine the employees who cross and I have checked into this. They can try to fine you but enforcing it is difficult. Also I believe that there is so much Misinformation about this issue that the Union would have a r
eally tough time proving the charges they bring to the members.
Sweety , the union has already fined scabs in Red Deer last week. Every last letter went out just this AM. Sorry to dissapoint you but the company will not protect you and cannot help with your fines by law ! If you dont show up at your tribunals you are automatically fined and 30 days later sent to collections.

You are on the wrong side sadly :(

*edited by JohnDoe - enabled BBCode*

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:42 pm

lol... sent to collections? a collection agency wouldn't touch one of these with a ten foot pole, and if they do, just tell them it is disputed and to litigate it... no court has ever (or likely will ever) uphold one of these fines.

as for red deer, yes, the union assessed "fines"... good luck collecting (and I know VFC said they paid... but nobody actually believes that (including those who suposedly paid... you'd think they'd remember writing a cheque...)

as for "Wrong side"... I dunno about you... but we're on the side of the MAJORITY of Alberta... we're on the side getting paid every 2 weeks... and we're on the side that is managing to get the contract we all wanted... I think that's the right side... sorry about your choice to stay outside...

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Fines

Postby Admin1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:46 pm

The TWU is constantly saying that they will fine the employees who cross and I have checked into this. They can try to fine you but enforcing it is difficult. Also I believe that there is so much Misinformation about this issue that the Union would have a r
eally tough time proving the charges they bring to the members.
Sweety , the union has already fined scabs in Red Deer last week. Every last letter went out just this AM. Sorry to dissapoint you but the company will not protect you and cannot help with your fines by law ! If you dont show up at your tribunals you are automatically fined and 30 days later sent to collections.

You are on the wrong side sadly :(
First of all that post is old, second re read it. It says they can fine you but enforcing it is another thing. The people in red deer have paid nothing. They are contacting the lawyer. The union will get no money from these people. I have a red deer letter posted in the general discussion area.

wirely
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby wirely » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:54 pm

re: The cabbies in CGY have been great , we get many "honks" from them. Please do not fool yourself the fines are comming ! As for pics from a dig. camera , it's what is written down that counts when it comes to tribunal time. Did you not see the ppl sitting beside the road writing down your names ? It was a full time job to keep up with the "crossers" I know i witnessed several hundred in CGY. Do you know if you had crossed even a week ago to join the picketing ranks you may have only recieved the manditory $1000- fine. Please think about it , promises were made by this company and most have been broken. How is it really going in there when calls are diverted to other countries. These same countries are known to harbour terrorists ? Canadian identities are going to suffer when the * hits the fan it will be the companies fault. VOTE no one more time then we will not be taken for granted by some of the richest ppl in the planet. It's all about investor , BOD and Entwistle GREED and if you vote anything other than NO you will hurt everyone. God bless

*Edited by Ash to remove inappropriate language. Please don't try to bypass the profanity filter. Thanks!

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Admin1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:08 pm

Wire you don't even make sence, Are you for real....The fines are a dead issue okay and it was your union that lied to you.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:21 pm

As for pics from a dig. camera , it's what is written down that counts when it comes to tribunal time.
pictures from a digital camera are just as admisable in court as those from a film camera (of course I'm sure kangaroo court has different rules) both forms are modifiable, in both cases it is only an addition to a witness testimony...
Did you not see the ppl sitting beside the road writing down your names ? It was a full time job to keep up with the "crossers" I know i witnessed several hundred in CGY.
well. considering the MAJORITY of alberta was back at work... yeah I bet it was a full time job keeping track... you know it might have been easier to count who hadn't crossed... shorter list that way (especially in calgary)
Do you know if you had crossed even a week ago to join the picketing ranks you may have only recieved the manditory $1000- fine. [/quoute] there is nothing mandatory about the "fine"... and $1000 is the maximum TOTAL fine as per the TWU constitution, so if you're going to be fined the maximum either way, why bother loosing your paycheque over it?
Please think about it , promises were made by this company and most have been broken.
I have yet to see the company break a single promise, I have however witnessed the union break dozens or more...

as for the "fines" it's been beaten to death... and until someone can find us that landmark case that shows a precident of any court upholding the fines... forgive us if you don't get a lot of sympathy on this one...

wirely
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Fines

Postby wirely » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:03 pm

Very sorry to most of you but whoever is "educating" you on the fine stuff really does not know what they are talking about.
Talked to any workers in Red Deer lately that have already paid fines .
Yah....you may want to look them up or open your eyes and ears.
Is it true the CEO advised you all to seek your own legal council ? Ever wonder why ?? Hung out on your own.......... Very sorry but at least get informed as i dislike anyone pulling the wool over anyone elses eyes.

Some of you used to be friends , how could this company divide us so terribly. Husbands / wives have split , buddies and loved ones alike ??

Things were not thought through that well and it hurts everyone involved.

Educate yourselves ....please..........

Thanks , god bless.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:08 pm

wirely, every RedDeer employee that we've contacted regarding your assertion that their fines have been paid has flatly denied it. That is a fact.
Perhaps it is you that should get your story straight before launching into your chicken little routine.

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:42 pm

wirely, could you also refrain from using bold type unless you are trying to emphasize something?

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:55 pm

yes, and wirely, please refrain from using dot-dot-dot... I've got the market sewn up on that... it's my trade mark...

Oh, and in the future, please capitalize 'God' where applicable. I find your failure to do so highly offensive. :fish:

Return to “Rumour Mill”