Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Telus: Free [insert whatever here]

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Telus: Free [insert whatever here]

Postby DStewart » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:03 pm

Y'all got free iPods!
Hell no, jimbo. What we did get were the same MP3 players that customers were getting a year ago when they signed up for Residential DSL. They hold at-most 64Mb (about 1 album of music, depending on how you encode it), which you would be hard pressed to find in stores these days with the multi-gigabyte versions now existing. (Some perspective: I had 64Mb mp3 player back in 1998. These aren't some top-of-the-line wonder machines.)
Don't lie! I've seen the white headphones! Only iPods have those!!
You can get white earbuds from plenty of places. What you most likely saw were the silver headphones that came with the silver MP3 player. Anyone you see with an iPod bought it on their own. If the company gave us free iPods, I certainly wouldn't still be using the MP3 player I have now.
But my ignorance and fear keeps me warm at night!
I know, it's easier for you that way.

Other things that we (I'm speaking for my office, and at least two other offices when I say we in this post) haven't gotten but apparently have gotten according to a couple friends of mine outside:

- Massages (not that I'd want one at work, that's a bit creepy)
- $1000/$2500/$7000/$ELEVENTYSEVENDOLLARS to cross the picket line
- Threats of being fired if we don't show up to work

krazytwacy

I agree

Postby krazytwacy » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:19 pm

They were MP3 players valued at I think 20.00 The players 64mb and can hold up to maybe 12 songs, but it's the thought that counts.
Very good Post.

DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby DStewart » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:27 pm

It's definitely the thought that counts, and I'm very glad that they gave them out- my younger brother was really happy to finally get an MP3 player.

Just seriously, if people are going to start rumours, I'd hope they'd at least know the matter of scale in the case.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:21 am

The stupidest part abotu the whole Ipod thing is that most of us who got them crossed from the beginning... We had convictions that the TWU was full of S**T from then... It was not a bribe... I owuld have corssed without all the perks... It jsut makes the job a little easier to handle while we are trying to save all the customers who the TWU is trying to send away...

DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby DStewart » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:05 am

Exactly. I'm doing the exact same job I've always been doing- no more, no less. I was scheduled to work the three days before the strike, the day of the strike, and the day after; I worked them all. If I felt at any moment that I wasn't being properly compensated, I've always been free to look for a better job elsewhere (y'know, probably what brought people to the company in the first place).

Phoenix66
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Telus: Free [insert whatever here]

Postby Phoenix66 » Sun Aug 28, 2005 7:23 pm

Y'all got free iPods!
I think it depended on the department .. sheepishly i admit that mine gave us little Ipod shuffles..

Other things that we (I'm speaking for my office, and at least two other offices when I say we in this post) haven't gotten but apparently have gotten according to a couple friends of mine outside:

- Massages (not that I'd want one at work, that's a bit creepy)

This is partially true.. the same outfit that came around last year to advertise their clinic in Calgary , gave another round of 5 min shoulder and neck massages.. they do it every year .. just that right now the timing is perfect :)

- $1000/$2500/$7000/$ELEVENTYSEVENDOLLARS to cross the picket line

This a total joke..

- Threats of being fired if we don't show up to work

This is a Bigger One!

DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby DStewart » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:03 pm

The shuffle still isn't worth $300 in any store. (Still $129 or less most places.) I think a lot of the rumours start just because people want to believe they have something to be angry about.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:09 pm

okay, I admit, we did get massages the first two weeks on our floor! LOL... I got two!

It was a nice littler perk... but you are right there have been other times that we have gotten massages as well... All it was doing was thanking us... The first few weeks were difficult for all of us...

DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby DStewart » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:13 pm

And that's all good, but the way the rumours outside go, one would think that these are all "whenever, wherever" things. I think for the most part work inside (right now) is business as usual.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:17 pm

Yes - business as usual indeed..

Phoenix66
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Phoenix66 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:58 pm

It is definitely business as usual..its sad that people see appreciation as "bribes".. i came in fully expecting to do my job as normal, be able to do my 10.5 hrs of OT per week if they needed me..etc.. .. none of these things brought me in ..nor do they keep me in ..
I'm sure none of them have had a problem cashing in their stock options.. or shares.. or any other benefit they have gotten.... Bottom line to me is the people inside truly care about the work they do..

DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby DStewart » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:22 pm

Even the overtime is a big issue for some- where as you (and I, and most of my department) love being even able to pick up overtime; most people outside see it as 'forced'. I always figure that if they want to pay me this much for my normal time, and even more for more of my time, I might as well stay!

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:35 pm

Massages? There was a sign posted here that the company had contracted a massage therapist that was willing to come to our office, if there was enough interest, and give 20 minute massages for $50 ... WE would have had to pay for it out of our pockets, and while I really could use a massage these days, nobody else in the office was interested, so they took down the sign and the masseuse never came. Was that like your guys deal, or did you actually get FREE massages? That would have been nice...

Ash
Site Wannabe Administrator
Site Wannabe Administrator

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 01, 2005 9:48 pm

I do recall that the MP3 players were given out long AFTER people had already crossed. I have yet to hear of anyone who crossed after that day getting an MP3 player.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

ihatedos
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby ihatedos » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:25 pm

any gifts made to encourage crossing is illegal.
Like what exactly? I've heard that Telus has given working employees things. There was an item in the news about iPods and such, but I haven't heard anything about enticement of this nature directed towards striking members. The media would have that in a second and would eat them alive if Telus was to do something so stupid. Have you heard more on this?

Return to “Rumour Mill”