Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Telus: TWU Bad Standing = Blackballed from *all* unions?

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Telus: TWU Bad Standing = Blackballed from *all* unions?

Postby DStewart » Sat Aug 27, 2005 10:13 pm

If I cross the picket line, and am witnessed as doing so, and assuming that they get the paperwork correct, and mark me as in Bad Standing in the union, will this prevent me from getting work with any other union?
Not one bit- actually, I should clarify, not unless you put "Bad Standing with the TWU" on your CV/Resume when you're going for another union job. Being in the bad books with the TWU would only stop you from getting another job in a TWU shop (so unless you're looking to work for Shaw, you're safe).

If you're looking to become a limo driver, you're safe, if you're looking to become a teacher, you're safe. One union has no tie to any other union other than the word 'union'. They do not report to each other, they do not call each other up and go over member lists, and most importantly unless you're going to work for the Union itself, it's the company that hires you, not the union that represents its members.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:28 am

Great post... I don't know who the TWU thinks they are... If the people actually think they have this much power then i stand behind my convictions even more ...

Many of them truly beleive "the world is watching" this labour dispute... right...all those people honking at them are the same people thanking me for crossing the line and getting them an installer in a two-day turnaround... After they honk at the people on the street... they get on with their day... not another thought...

I get SO many people calling in and forgetting that we are on strike...

DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby DStewart » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:03 am

Oh, I love the turnaround garbage too-

"Shaw can do next-day service! Telus can't!"

Well, Shaw contracts out its installers, right now we're stuck using Telus-only members. Either you want it next-day or you want it non-outsourced.

Phoenix66
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Telus: TWU Bad Standing = Blackballed from *all* unions?

Postby Phoenix66 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:19 pm

(so unless you're looking to work for Shaw, you're safe).
and even that is only certain locations.. i believe Calgary Shaw is a completely different union.

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Edmontons

Postby Admin1 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:29 pm

Edmonton Shaw has no union, I think the TWU tried to get in there but they voted them out. One shaw person on IOS said he was happy with his job and the people were very happy there and felt a union would only intrude.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Tue Aug 30, 2005 8:36 pm

TWU no longer in Shaw Calgary either

DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby DStewart » Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:21 pm

Really? Thank goodness.
said he was happy with his job and the people were very happy there and felt a union would only intrude.
Funny, I feel the same. :P

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:38 am

As far as I understand it Telus is Open Shop meaning you don't even have to be a member of the union to work there. You must still pay union dues, but in no way have to be a voting member. When they tell you to sign the card and pay the $5 just tell them (in nice words) to take a hike. I wish I had known that when I first got hired. I would never have joined to begin with. Fresh from the Save-On-Foods union shop atmosphere however, I didn't know the difference.

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

majohnson

Postby majohnson » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:13 am

We're a close shop....you have to be a member.

krazytwacy

Some

Postby krazytwacy » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:33 am

Some are saying OPEN and Some say Closed. Where can I find the answer to this one? Can't ask telus they would say open. Can't ask the union they would say Closed. Who can I ask that is independant from the two and I will find out the answer.

BellaCoola
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby BellaCoola » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:33 pm

There was a shop steward who posted in VFC and acknowledged that in Alberta it is an open shop and BC is a closed shop. The post was in a thread about fining scabs a couple of weeks ago.

Katala

Re: Telus: TWU Bad Standing = Blackballed from *all* unions?

Postby Katala » Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:48 pm

Not one bit- actually, I should clarify, not unless you put "Bad Standing with the TWU" on your CV/Resume when you're going for another union job. Being in the bad books with the TWU would only stop you from getting another job in a TWU shop (so unless you're looking to work for Shaw, you're safe).

If you're looking to become a limo driver, you're safe, if you're looking to become a teacher, you're safe. One union has no tie to any other union other than the word 'union'. They do not report to each other, they do not call each other up and go over member lists, and most importantly unless you're going to work for the Union itself, it's the company that hires you, not the union that represents its members.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that is not true.

No there is no magic "master list" of blackballed members from various unions. But what does happen is they look at your resume and see you were employed by Telus. They know Telus is unionized. They call the TWU and ask if you are a member in good standing or not. Simple as that.

Case in point, and aquaintance of mine worked at Safeway during their last strike and crossed. 4 years later, they applied to the city. After going through the interview process, the recruiter called them and said "We really loved talking to you. You have great references. But I'm sorry, we can't hire you. The union won't have you."

So, unless you are with Telus a short enough time to not include it in your CV, you could have some issues with applying for unionized positions with other companies.

DStewart
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby DStewart » Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:38 pm

Hmm, could be, though that still relies on that big "if". There are plenty of jobs that aren't unionized (and thankfully ever-fewer as time goes on.)

worker.tech
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

unions dont hire staff

Postby worker.tech » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:17 pm

when you apply for a job at a company you dont get an interview with the union of that company. so what if you are black listed. unions dont hire.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:44 pm

TELUS is an open shop. A lot of people take the term "open shop" to mean union and non-union peopleare working side by side doing the same jobs, but that's not true - if it were, then TELUS would not fit that description.
Other people think closed-shop means their in only one union. While it's true that this is a one union compny, that's not the definition of closed shop.
In fact, open shop means you are not required to be a union member to be employed by the company. and this is true of TELUS. They may take union dues off your cheque, but if you don't sign your union card, you're not a member. TELUS is an open shop nationaly.

With respect to being in bad standing, at this point in history unions are trying very hard to INCREASE their membership, and are looking for ways to get more empoyees included... it would have to be a very strong union to tell a new employer not to hire you because you are in bad standing with some other unreleated union, and to actually have that employeer capitulate to their demand. Sure, it _may_ have happened before, some time in the past, but people have been hit by meteors too... this is NOT an eventuality I'd spend another second worrying about if I were you.

Return to “Rumour Mill”