Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

PM's not so private.

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
StanG
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

PM's not so private.

Postby StanG » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:04 pm

Just trying to clear up a rumor from ***no names***the person running the site. I've heard that you can read the PM's that go through the site. Any truth to this?
****Edited by Admin****

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Sun Sep 11, 2005 9:33 am

where there's a will, there's a way... I don't know what kind of mods the admin has on this site, but I do know that in the 'stock' version of phpBB there's no facility for the admin to read other people's private messages. Of course, until you've deleted a PM, it's stored in a database somewhere, so anyone with rights to perform queries against that database could conceivably drill down into it and read the raw text of the PMs. I suppose someone could also write a mod to automate the same thing. The same could be said of 'Dave' from VFC too...
One thing to remember though is that the webmaster, system administrator or website administrator isn't necessarily the same person as the 'admin' user of the phpBB bulletin board package. Most hosting comapnies would never give root privileges away, even to the owner of a site, and that includes raw rights to databases too... you've got to rembmer, there ware hundreds if not thousands of websites hosted on every server. Lord only knows who physically owns the server this site is hosted on... the system administrator could be in the Philipines for all we know.

One thing's for certain, this site was registered by *NO NAMES* of Momentus Hosting, aka domainsatcost.ca - they host thousands of .ca, .com, and .au websites, and that name is attached to the registration of hundreds upon hundreds of them. I'm not sure how you put two-and-two together to concluding that the web hosting provider itself is actively administering this forum, but hey - I guess that's union logic at it's finest...

MjrGaelic
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby MjrGaelic » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:26 pm

While phpbb has no built in capacity "stock" to read PM's - it is still never the less extremely easy to accomplish with the installation of a 3rd party program.

This would not require server root priveleges to accomplish only ftp access, DBName, and DBPass.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:46 pm

Well, this admin cannot read PM's that are not sent to, or by him. As for all that gibberish, and acronyms... above me. Believe me or not.... I know that I consider PM's to be viewable by anyone that wants to.

Safer that way, and I use MSN and ICQ too.

Return to “Rumour Mill”