Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Picketline Rumour Sept 23/05

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Picketline Rumour Sept 23/05

Postby JoePublic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:42 pm

The picketers have been told that the Govt will step in and get things settled and back to work in 2 weeks...lol...

However, on v4c they are complaining that Joe is helping CBC and not twu, who was out first --- (stomping of the feet, temper-tantrum..etc).

Is it just me or does twu use the "in 2 weeks...." line quite often? Talk about being lied to all the time....

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Picketline Rumour Sept 23/05

Postby Domino » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:22 pm

The picketers have been told that the Govt will step in and get things settled and back to work in 2 weeks...lol...

However, on v4c they are complaining that Joe is helping CBC and not twu, who was out first --- (stomping of the feet, temper-tantrum..etc).

Is it just me or does twu use the "in 2 weeks...." line quite often? Talk about being lied to all the time....
As a picketter I can honestly say that I haven't been told that. I have been told that the meeting between Bruce and Joe went well and I've heard speculation on what will happen but I haven't been told that "the Govt will step in and get this settled and back to work in 2 weeks".

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:33 pm

Not much that Joe can do.......

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JoePublic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:05 pm

Not much that Joe can do.......

True....BRUCE WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE THERE ARE 5 CONTRACTS OUT THERE NOT JUST THE BCTEL --- (sorry for the caps). Once you realize there there is life east of the BC border, maybe you'll negotiate a contract for the MEMBERS from the language of all the contracts.

cragorn
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cragorn » Sat Sep 24, 2005 2:34 am

The government will not step in unless it threatens and/or endangers the public and/or employees lives. There are constant labour disputes and jobs lost in Canada. You never see Joe Fontana involved in any of them. Here is a sample of unions having issues in the last 2 weeks. There are others but I have to admit I got tired of googling :lol:

- BC Teachers' Federation serve strike notice
http://www.bctf.bc.ca/SchoolStaffAlert/ ... 09-23.html

- CBC locked out
http://cbcunplugged.blogware.com/blog

- TELUS on strike
http://www.canadianbusiness.com/investi ... 0014_70014#

- CAW looses 1000 jobs at DaimlerChrysler
http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nation ... 50920.html

- CAW looses 1100 jobs at Ford
http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/nation ... 50918.html

- CAW serves strike notice with GM for September 27th
http://www.caw.ca/news/newsnow/news.asp?artID=913

ihatedos
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Re: Picketline Rumour Sept 23/05

Postby ihatedos » Sat Sep 24, 2005 7:21 am

"Just two more weeks..."

That's what the NCO's would say when I first got into the Forces and we'd be on a long forced march, or a move on a patrol ex:

"Come on troops...just two more clicks..."

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Sat Sep 24, 2005 4:05 pm

i have not heard of any help. I have spoken to and gone to other unions websites and blogs..we seem to be holding them back on a leash.
Something fairly big will happen sept 30. All i can say.

cragorn
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cragorn » Sat Sep 24, 2005 5:41 pm

i have not heard of any help. I have spoken to and gone to other unions websites and blogs..we seem to be holding them back on a leash.
Such as what exactly?

- stock hits 60$?
- TWU goes bankrupt?
- instead of 3 rallies, there will be 4?
- Joe Fontana will publicly admit he's ignoring the TWU?
- Everyone comes back to work and sings kombaya?

The union has said this before...and nothing came out. They said there would be a general strike on labour day. It wasn't even close. Yeah there were a few good rallies.....but that doesn't constitute anything.

This constant "cry wolf" of wait two weeks, wait two weeks, wait two weeks...is getting annoying. However since you don't want to backup what it is that will happen on September 30th, I guess it is a rumor till then and it's been posted in the correct category.

cragorn
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby cragorn » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:30 pm

Well....Here we are. September 30th. Can't wait.

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JoePublic » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:25 am

Such as what exactly?

- stock hits 60$?
- TWU goes bankrupt?
- instead of 3 rallies, there will be 4?
- Joe Fontana will publicly admit he's ignoring the TWU?
- Everyone comes back to work and sings kombaya?

The union has said this before...and nothing came out. They said there would be a general strike on labour day. It wasn't even close. Yeah there were a few good rallies.....but that doesn't constitute anything.

This constant "cry wolf" of wait two weeks, wait two weeks, wait two weeks...is getting annoying. However since you don't want to backup what it is that will happen on September 30th, I guess it is a rumor till then and it's been posted in the correct category.

There's some meeting this morning and then a parade past the Len Werry to the Calgary Tower --- should we get out the ticker tape?

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:49 am

Just another Friday I think......

ItsMyLife
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby ItsMyLife » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:43 am

Oh but this time they've got the leader of the Provincial NDP party with them (Brian Mason).....must be because of how popular the NDP's are in Alberta! I'm being sarcastic of course.....out of a possible 83 seats in the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, they've got a total of 4. Honestly, I'm surprised they managed to get that many seats in the first place.

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us."

-Ralph Waldo Emmerson

Olive
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Olive » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:14 pm

Oh but this time they've got the leader of the Provincial NDP party with them (Brian Mason).....must be because of how popular the NDP's are in Alberta! I'm being sarcastic of course.....out of a possible 83 seats in the Legislative Assembly of Alberta, they've got a total of 4. Honestly, I'm surprised they managed to get that many seats in the first place.
4 seats. Thats awesome. I have more seats in my SUV :)

RealityChick
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby RealityChick » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:40 pm

So really....someone enlighten us all and let us know that 'something big' happens today (if/when it happens)...
The rally/march at the tower wasn't even that big.. Is that what they were talking about??

Ash
Site Wannabe Administrator
Site Wannabe Administrator

Postby Ash » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:01 pm

They had about 100 picnickers over at the Len Werry, blocking the entrance to the alley. But that's about it.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

Return to “Rumour Mill”