Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Okay let Play a Game

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Okay let Play a Game

Postby Admin1 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:38 pm

How Much Money is BRUCE BELL making right now. The strikers have said he makes the same as they do. I think that is naive.

I THINK HE MAKING
100,000.00 A year its only far everyone knows what Darren is making.

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:41 pm

I think the best solution would be to email him or the union office to try find out. Any speculation on here, no matter how low or high, is just a guess. Why not try find out for sure?

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:43 pm

Right... and they will reply to my questions like they did when I emailed them, called them before the strike... :? Very helpful bunch

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:18 pm

I've gotten a response any time I've phoned or emailed the union. If you don't think they'll respond to your emails try phone them. The phone numbers are easy enough to get.

Ash
Site Wannabe Administrator

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:23 pm

I've gotten a response any time I've phoned or emailed the union. If you don't think they'll respond to your emails try phone them. The phone numbers are easy enough to get.
There were quite a few members who e-mailed and called the union office before the strike started. The union chose not to reply. The union chose not to return phone calls. The shop stewards didn't have answers for the reps. As a result, a large number of the people who crossed, crossed because Telus was the only one who took the time to address the employees concerns. So picketers should be crying "shame" at their own union execs for undermining their own union.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:28 pm

I can honestly say I don't know anyone who couldn't get a response from the union except for those who never tried and just waited for the union to contact them. I'm not saying this didn't happen as I'm not omnipotent, but I've never had a problem personally and I've never seen anyone else who did. There was one incident where I didn't get a personal response to a concern I emailed in but the day after I sent my email my concern was addressed on the TWU site.

I would recommend trying.

Ash

Postby Ash » Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:45 pm

E-mails and phone calls were igored by both the local office and the TWU head office, so the odds of it being an oversight are practically nil. It's a moot point now, as the union has already lost the respect and the support of the people involved.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

krazytwacy

My friend

Postby krazytwacy » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:23 pm

My friend who sent emails before the strike got a message back three times mail box unreachable. they then emailed off another account SHAW and the email got through but no answer. They were emailing to ask simple questions they had no idea anyone was going on strike. Showed up for work, no one was there and they went to work. They had no idea a strike was happening. New it when they went in but felt they weren't part of the union and kept working.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:51 pm

I can provide documentation as to my emails sent to the TWU... This will definately go in my appeal if I choose to even acknowledge the gong

majohnson

Postby majohnson » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:16 am

Oh C'mon people. We tell you but you won't believe. All Executive and BA's of the TWU get the same strike pay as the rest of us. This is a brotherhood and what happens to one happens to all. You really have to get your head around this concept. This union (and all for that matter) are about equality among members.

ihatedos
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Bruce Bell on $250 a week?

Postby ihatedos » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:12 pm

I see. The fact that Bell has official responsibilities beyond the concerns of the Telus union members lends itself to the idea that he'll be working for $250 a week like everyone else? It seems realistic to you that an individual heading an organization purporting to govern the interests of unionized workers for several different corporations would be able to make the ends meet on that amount?
The notion seems ridiculous quite frankly.
The TWU may promote the idea of solidarity and equality, but don't ever fool yourself into believing that there won't always be those who are more equal than the rest.
I'm not commenting on this to be contentious...just realistic.

Unionrep
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Unionrep » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:39 pm

This came up in a tri-local meeting in Calgary in July ( I think it was July)

at which time Bruce stated the union executive would be making the same as those on the line

I would assume there are per diem and other expenses covered, but, I personally don't begrudge any of the executive for any money they may be making - long hours and in the middle of a labour dispute that is beyond anything I have been able to find in this country

BellaCoola
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby BellaCoola » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:35 pm

This came up in a tri-local meeting in Calgary in July ( I think it was July)

at which time Bruce stated the union executive would be making the same as those on the line

I would assume there are per diem and other expenses covered, but, I personally don't begrudge any of the executive for any money they may be making - long hours and in the middle of a labour dispute that is beyond anything I have been able to find in this country
I have a hard time believing that they would be making the same as the picketers. They have a lot more work to do, longer hours more responsibilities and all that yada yada yada. I think they should be making what they were making before the lockout to think otherwise would be kinda unreasonable. Of course this is IMHO.

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:32 pm

With the amount of work they're going to be doing I agree that they should be making more than the picketters. Simply because of the number of hours they put in every day.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:35 am

went to the last union meeting before this happened. our business agent verified they all go on picket pay for as long as we are. The admin. staff gets paid as usual though.

Return to “Rumour Mill”