Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Okay let Play a Game

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Sun Sep 04, 2005 1:24 pm

Yes, I believe the admin staff are under contract and are actually members of another union, are they not?

Redrider
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Redrider » Sun Sep 04, 2005 4:41 pm

I have had on again off again success with TWU execs replying to emails. The info coming out of head office seems to be quite vague at best.
One answer I did receive from Sid Shniad was the executives are drawing picket pay and not on the regular payroll.

I did receive a personal call by phone from Bruce Bell trying to answer my question about the replacement workers that arrived on masse last friday in the lower mainland. He told me he was presentley writting up a draft that was to be sent to Joe Fontana, it's been a week so far and I have seen or heard of no such letter. :roll:

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:31 pm

When I spoke with him he did say there's something in the works with regards to the replacement workers but didn't go into details. He and Buz Hargrove also met with Joe Fontana a few days ago and he said the meeting went well. I guess we'll find out for sure in the next little while. Sorry I couldn't be more specific but I didn't dig for details that they're trying not to let out.

Redrider
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Redrider » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:15 am

Bruce and the Exec's best not get too friendly with Buzz and his pals in the CAW. I feel they are just chomping at the bit waiting for this whole thing to crash so we can all become CAW brothers.

Wwood
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Wwood » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:45 am

Bruce and the Exec's best not get too friendly with Buzz and his pals in the CAW. I feel they are just chomping at the bit waiting for this whole thing to crash so we can all become CAW brothers.
RR,you are so right!
With the huge decline in the Autoworkers workforce because NA automakers can not compete. The CAW would love to get hteir hands on another 13,000 members. Absolutely no doubt the CAW is also talking to Telus exec's about this too.
These guys are sharp and used to running a national union. They will eat up our union leadership.
This would be a huge step backwards for our members. We had better get this settled or the company will be the least of our worries.

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Mon Sep 05, 2005 5:53 pm

I thought this part of the forum was for debunking rumours, not for starting new, unfounded ones.

raider
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Okay let Play a Game

Postby raider » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:39 pm

Ok people the union contract states that the executive will get the same strike pay as the rest of the people on the picket line. They maybe able to weather ther Lock-out better because they may have been able to put away more maney so they could get by. If you could find proff that they are getting more picket pay than everyone else and be able to substantuate it then the members could ask them to step down and make way for a new executive board to be elected.

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Okay let Play a Game

Postby JoePublic » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:54 am

Ok people the union contract states that the executive will get the same strike pay as the rest of the people on the picket line. They maybe able to weather ther Lock-out better because they may have been able to put away more maney so they could get by. If you could find proff that they are getting more picket pay than everyone else and be able to substantuate it then the members could ask them to step down and make way for a new executive board to be elected.
What contract are you reading? I could not find anything that states that the executives are getting the same strike pay as the TELUS picketers. I went to the TWU website and found under the financial policy:

9. That the salaries for Officers be as follows:
Jan. 1/2000
President $79,240.71
Vice-Pres. & Sec.-Treas. $73,775.52
Business Agents $68,310.32

and

12. Be It Resolved that in order to prevent extreme financial hardship to our members honouring picket lines, a payment of 70% of gross wages will commence on the third day of picketing. (June 1983)

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:11 pm

The TWU exec pay is not in the contract with TELUS. I think it might be in the TWU constitution or other documents that are approved by the convention. I don't have a copy of the constitution (been retired for almost 3 yrs) or I would look it up for you. I do know that the exec officers have always been paid the same as the picketers in all previous disputes - I doubt very much that this one is any different.

Ash
Site Wannabe Administrator
Site Wannabe Administrator

Postby Ash » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:45 pm

While TWU workers at Telus are on strike, TWU workers at Shaw (in BC) aren't on strike. So, do they get extra pay while working on Shaw issues?

Also, what kind of expense accounts do the union execs get? If they are on the road alot during the dispute, I suspect that the union office gives them allowances for food, cars, accomodations, etc. that suppliment the strike pay they are allegedly living off of.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:59 pm

While TWU workers at Telus are on strike, TWU workers at Shaw (in BC) aren't on strike. So, do they get extra pay while working on Shaw issues?

Also, what kind of expense accounts do the union execs get? If they are on the road alot during the dispute, I suspect that the union office gives them allowances for food, cars, accomodations, etc. that suppliment the strike pay they are allegedly living off of.
Do you think that if Bruce Bell has to fly from Calgary to Vancouver on TWU business that the trip should come out of his own pocket?

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JoePublic » Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:41 am

The TWU exec pay is not in the contract with TELUS. I think it might be in the TWU constitution or other documents that are approved by the convention. I don't have a copy of the constitution (been retired for almost 3 yrs) or I would look it up for you. I do know that the exec officers have always been paid the same as the picketers in all previous disputes - I doubt very much that this one is any different.
Thanks I believe you can read the constitution on the twu-canada.ca website. Under "about the twu" and then "policies"...I didn't see anything on the execs getting the same pay as picketers, maybe I just need another pair of eyes to find the information. If you see it please post.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:37 am

maybe I just need another pair of eyes to find the information. If you see it please post.
Yeah, you have to see things the TWU way, then it'll all become perfectly clear... LOL
Once you see things the "TWU Way", you won't have to worry about silly little details like facts, you'll be right no matter what.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:25 am

witty scab.
but if they are all not lying( after Karen Radford and managers told us to our faces about the overseas call centers and how they would never do our work my world is crushed) when there is a job action the executive and the business agents go on the same picket pay as the picketters.

dakeyras
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby dakeyras » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:50 pm

My theory is this......let's say the TWU represents 4 groups of workers....TELUS, Shaw, Company X & Company Y. If President regularly earns $80,000 (as stated earlier as of Jan 1, 2000 it was $79,240.71), then that's $20,000 per company represented.

So if the TELUS workers go on strike, the execs will forsake their $20,000 that can be attributed to TELUS and earn $250/week, which over a full year equates to $13,000. Add to that any additional expenses, such as travel, hotels, dining and IF they're taking any hit in the pocketbook, it would be minimal.

If the TWU represents 5 companies, then $80,000 divided by 5 is $16,000 per group represented. In which case, the President would actually be earning MORE than what he had been. Then he'd be more than likely to want this strike to go on for a long, long time.....let's estimate....6-9 months......

However, that's just a theory I'm working with.

Return to “Rumour Mill”