Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

THE WAR OF THE LETTERS

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

THE WAR OF THE LETTERS

Postby Admin1 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:19 am

Whilethe people who are crossing are getting fine letters, The members who are striking are getting termination letters. I have put this in rumer mill because I am not sure on the termination letters but that is what it sounds like they are recieving to me. Can someone please confirm the Termination Letters. I believe the violent ones will not return however I don't think Telus can just send out Group terminations.
Feelings please
Thanks
ADMIN

BellaCoola
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby BellaCoola » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:02 am

Has anybody said they got their FINE letters yet?? VFC posters said that they went out like 2 weeks ago?

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:32 pm

There are at least 16 ex-employees that will not be coming back to work after their terminations. Also, of the 50+ injunction related arrests, TELUS is looking seriously at each case, and where violence, intemidation, or property damage is concern, those people will likely be terminated as well. Of course, people arrested for standing within 3 meters of a driveway will not be losing their jobs, but dozens of others certainly will. As far as I know, there have been no 'group' termination letters - each case is tried on it's own merit.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:38 pm

I do not believe that Telus would be able to terminate any groupd of people. Each case has its own set of circumstances.

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JoePublic » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:19 pm

I thought the letters were for the picketers to meet with security to voice their side of any incident they may have been involved in. If they chose to not go to the meeting they are deemed guilty and terminated. I could be way off base on this too.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:25 pm

I agree JP

The letter was an invitation to a hearing where the individual would be able to plead his/her case. If they did not attend termination would likely be automatic however is is normal procedure to document this type of action with a letter defining the reason for temination of employment as well as to provide info regarding payout of earned vacation days etc etc

Unionrep
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Unionrep » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:53 am

can anybody confirm?

These "meetings" to investigate are behind a picket line :lol: :lol:

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:16 pm

I agree JP

The letter was an invitation to a hearing where the individual would be able to plead his/her case. If they did not attend termination would likely be automatic however is is normal procedure to document this type of action with a letter defining the reason for temination of employment as well as to provide info regarding payout of earned vacation days etc etc
]

no kidding.... that would be scary for someone that was maybe standing in the wrong place...Those guys are pretty scary ( security)and I wouldnt go.From the outside looking in you gotta see these guys to believe them.

I would however go to court.. This would be a mutually safe place to be.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:45 pm

Pretty Scary?!?!?! These guys are pretty scary???!?!?! They have names and we know where they work.. how about someone that follows you to a light theatens you, then drives away?

A security guard is answerable for his actions... union activists are shadows, they answer to no one and the union just says... bad... that is very bad... not our guy, just a vigilante, we admire them.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:14 pm

i do not condone that..they just make us all look bad. There is no excuse for that. We need intelligent picketting.The union office is promoting this....I have seen this for the most part...a few women that yell and look like they could be selling fish is the worst I have seen.But i have heard reports of the violent picketting. I wonder if they would have been different if there were no crossers or if the security were a little less inflammatory.

LazyRedNose
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby LazyRedNose » Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:54 pm

... I wonder if they would have been different if there were no crossers or if the security were a little less inflammatory.
Yeah, it would have nothing to do with Groupthink or Psychopathy. The devil made them do it!

Just so we're clear on my meaning, here you go...

Groupthink
n.

1. The act or practice of reasoning or decision-making by a group, especially when characterized by uncritical acceptance or conformity to prevailing points of view.

2. decision making by a group (especially in a manner that discourages creativity or individual responsibility)

Psychopathy
n.

1. A mental disorder characterised by antisocial and impulsive behaviour, (Antisocial Personality Disorder.) Although criminal activity is not a necessary requirement, these individuals often encounter legal difficulties due to their disregard for societal standards and the rights of others. Individuals with this disorder are indifferent to the possibility of physical pain or many punishments, and show no indications that they experience fear when so threatened; this may explain their apparent disregard for the consequences of their actions, and their lack of empathy when others are suffering.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:23 pm

The truth is that the history of labour unrest byt unions and companies is well established. this is the way it is done out there...

Return to “Rumour Mill”