Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

People who cross are going to get fired

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
Olive
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

People who cross are going to get fired

Postby Olive » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:10 pm

I heard that if you cross the picket line, the union is going to fire you.

I also heard the union will fine us $1,000/day

I also heard we're going to be banned from "EVERY SINGLE UNION JOB" in canada.

Can anyone help with some answers??

TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: People who cross are going to get fired

Postby JohnDoe » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:15 pm

Last I checked I didn't work for the union, therefore, they can't fire me.

They can indeed fine you, but good luck to them in collecting that fine.

As for the last point. You could be turned down by every TWU job, but your member in bad standing doesn't transfer to every union you try to get a job under. Therefore, you're pretty safe. They have no more power over your job situation as, say, Jane Random out on the street.

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

Olive
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Olive » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:29 pm

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to make sure :)

TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS

Ash
Site Wannabe Administrator

Postby Ash » Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:08 pm

And you can bet at the next convention that there will be an constitutional amendment put forward to change the $1,000 maximum fine to $1,000 maximum per charge that results in a guilty verdict.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

whatmeworry
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby whatmeworry » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:51 pm

As JohnDoe stated, the union cannot hire or fire you. Only TELUS can do that. The union can recommend that you be let go, but that's all it would be: a recommendation, without teeth.

Fines are possible. In order for them to try to collect, however, I believe they have to first find you guilty in a tribunal (aka kangaroo court), and then file a case against you in Small Claims court. IF a court will even hear the case, they would still have to prove that you were guilty of breaking one of the rules of membership you agreed to when you signed your union card.

Chances are that the court will not mandate the entire fine the union is looking for. You didn't rape someone, murder someone, or sell drugs to someone, and traditionally in Canada, white-collar crime has not been punished severely at all.

The threat about being banned from any union job in Canada is akin to the threat you heard in high school, where everything you did there would follow you on your "permanent record" -- hell, after my first month at university, no one gave a rat's a** about what I'd done in high school, so why is anyone going to care what happened during the labour disruption?

Just my opinion, of course.

urbanscab
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby urbanscab » Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:24 pm

Hey Olive! Take it easy. Do you really think DE is going to let go several thousand of TELUS' best workers in favour of Dumb Bell and Hope Going? Not likely.

A while back the union approched management about having me terminated. The response the company gave was :thumbdown: (I was looking for something more offensive)

Keep in mind that these are the same people that thought TELUS would be brought to its knees.

"Don't forget to have your union spayed or neutered!"

Olive
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Olive » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:20 pm

incase some of you havnt noticed, I was being sarcastic about my original post. thats what the sheep outside were baaaaahhhing about and now that we all know its not true, I figured now would be an excellent time to post

whatmeworry
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby whatmeworry » Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:40 pm

incase some of you havnt noticed, I was being sarcastic about my original post. thats what the sheep outside were baaaaahhhing about and now that we all know its not true, I figured now would be an excellent time to post
Oh, uh, yeah, I totally knew you were being sarcastic! :oops:

Sorry, I'm new to this board and haven't got a feel for everyone yet.

Ash

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:16 pm

No worries whatmeworry. We'll go easy on you :wink:

PS: Welcome to the board.

Ash

Olive
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Olive » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:26 pm

I'm evil. :twisted:

Ash

Postby Ash » Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:32 pm

I'm evil. :twisted:
Gimme some sugar, baby.
Last edited by Ash on Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ash

haiduk
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby haiduk » Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:30 am

[quote="whatmeworry"][quote="Olive"]I heard that if you cross the picket line, the union is going to fire you.

Can anyone help with some answers??[/quote]

As JohnDoe stated, the union cannot hire or fire you. Only TELUS can do that. The union can recommend that you be let go, but that's all it would be: a recommendation, without teeth.

Fines are possible. In order for them to try to collect, however, I believe they have to first find you guilty in a tribunal (aka kangaroo court), and then file a case against you in Small Claims court. [b]IF[/b] a court will even hear the case, they would still have to prove that you were guilty of breaking one of the rules of membership you agreed to when you signed your union card.

Chances are that the court will not mandate the entire fine the union is looking for. You didn't rape someone, murder someone, or sell drugs to someone, and traditionally in Canada, white-collar crime has not been punished severely at all.

The threat about being banned from any union job in Canada is akin to the threat you heard in high school, where everything you did there would follow you on your "permanent record" -- hell, after my first month at university, no one gave a rat's a** about what I'd done in high school, so why is anyone going to care what happened during the labour disruption?

Just my opinion, of course.[/quote]

This thing with being banned from every union type job in Canada makes me laugh. What the h..., the Berlin Wall was put down (or broken) some... fifteen years ago! Here is the Free World where everybody has an opportunity! I grew up with fears like this (the Union will chase me down... type thinking) back home, but to hear local people, in the 21st Century, in Canada, being afraid of their past / future work record makes laugh with tears. You are free to do whatever you want in your life just because you were borne or a Citizen here! There is no union that can take away your right to work or associate, from you! I love my job here at Telus, but if somehow, later on, I have to apply for a job somewhere else and the hiring company decides to drop me after the interview just because I was a scab during this labor dispute at Telus, I will sue that company's a** to any court imaginable on Earth! This will be a very strong case of discrimination. And let's keep it at this level. Probably would be many other reasons on my favor, but so far ...I'm not a lawyer. And if there is a Government that would endorse such action from a Union to take against you, then... we are all wrong because the majority voted for it.

Believe in yourself!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:47 am

To take Haiduk’s excellent post a step further, I think you will find that being a union member in these days is more, far more, of a bar to entry than being thought of as a scab.

Remember that (depending on who you talk to) 80 to 85% percent of private sector jobs in Canada are non-union. The Public sector jobs have a MUCH higher unionization rate, and when you consider the efficiency and cost of the public sector and you can see why unionization rates are dropping, the model is outdated.

santina
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby santina » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi Olive:

The Union does note hire people (duh) TELUS does.
Read the Constitution. Max of 1,000 fine.
I like your outfit. cute. :twisted: :P

boob
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby boob » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 am

I was told it is up to a $1000 per incident!

Return to “Rumour Mill”