Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

BC is truly locked out

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
krazytwacy

BC is truly locked out

Postby krazytwacy » Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:50 pm

I often hear about how they have 100% support in BC and people are bragging about it all over the web, however I just would like to remind people that BC is closed to all Union members as it is to dangerous to cross. The only reason why there is 100% in BC because no one is aloud in. I am sure if they opened it people would cross.

minkeymink

Postby minkeymink » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:35 pm

Yes that is true Tracy,

I have had people personally email me in regards to wanting to cross... It will open up once Alberta has its team back. There are many people who haven't crossed because they have listened to the TWU's propaganda. Once they speak to their friends and hear about the lies, they will see the light!

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:16 pm

Yes that is true Tracy,

I have had people personally email me in regards to wanting to cross... It will open up once Alberta has its team back. There are many people who haven't crossed because they have listened to the TWU's propaganda. Once they speak to their friends and hear about the lies, they will see the light!
I have yet to hear something to convince me to cross. I have yet to hear of someone that would in BC. Guess we have higher standards here. I think crossing a picket line of the union you belong to is along the lines of being a drug pusher ...same type of person does it.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:17 pm

Yes that is true Tracy,

Let me also add i dont believe all the twu or telus says ...but wont cross.

minkeymink

Postby minkeymink » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:24 pm

That is great that you have those strong beliefs ... once BC is opened, you will see alot more people cross then the TWU is anticipating. No, probably not what it is here in Alberta, but mre then you are believing. I can easily post the emails I have recieved, but I wouldn't put those people in jepardy because a bunch of can't-think-for-themselves people would make their life outside (and inside) of work difficult...

Crossing a picket line has little to do with morals, or lack of morality. I am a person who beleives strongly in ones own actions. I have crossed the picket line, because I don't feel the TELUS offer is anything to strike over. I work to live, not live to work... this is not the end of the road. I love workng for TELUS, and if something happens in the future where I no longer feel i can work there, I will leave. The world is open to me... I have worked to educate myself to make my own job security. Whether it is here or with another company or line of work.

This is not about morals, or code of conduct... I know many people on the line who are not good people and many who are... Same with inside... This does not shape who I am or where my beleifs come from and how far I would take them. I am a good person whether I choose to report to my job or not...but I refuse to put myself, my family, and the customers that put a roof over my head because a union is telling me what I need to beleive in... I think for myself... If I beleived this contract was as bad as the TWU wants me to beleive it is, I would be on the line too... the fact is that I ... like many of you ... are standing up for what I think it is right...

Wwood
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Wwood » Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:35 pm

I respect the people who have strength in their convistions. Both sides. Just make thoroughly informed decisions and don't tear people down who are on the opposite side of the fence from you, whichever side you are on. I have seen very few posts from people who are working that tear down the people who are picketing. On the other hand however, I can not believe the fear and intimidation from the twu leaders to those that do not buy in to the rhetoric. Talk about Fifo. It's alive and well in the twu.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:20 pm

I know... we are expected to blindly follow, even though we don't feel any conviction to picket... I personaly could not do anything I didn't stand behind

Domino
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Domino » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:58 pm

I respect the people who have strength in their convistions. Both sides. Just make thoroughly informed decisions and don't tear people down who are on the opposite side of the fence from you, whichever side you are on. I have seen very few posts from people who are working that tear down the people who are picketing. On the other hand however, I can not believe the fear and intimidation from the twu leaders to those that do not buy in to the rhetoric. Talk about Fifo. It's alive and well in the twu.
You obviously didn't get a chance to see the ios site before it went down. :D

I agree that people need to make informed decisions. Unfortunately as I've had someone on the inside comment to me all they here is the company point of view and they are bombarded with it the entire time they are inside including the many lies that are floating around in the office which I've disproven. No, the union didn't deduct money from our picket pay. No, the union didn't lie to us about the amount of picket pay.

Phoenix66
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Phoenix66 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 7:06 pm

You obviously didn't get a chance to see the ios site before it went down. :D

I agree that people need to make informed decisions. Unfortunately as I've had someone on the inside comment to me all they here is the company point of view and they are bombarded with it the entire time they are inside including the many lies that are floating around in the office which I've disproven. No, the union didn't deduct money from our picket pay. No, the union didn't lie to us about the amount of picket pay.

I agree about IOS.. i admit even i got a bit overzealus in the beginning on there, but mainly becasue most of us used to go to VFC to get answers and all got banned in the process.. so the fact of having a voice again was a bit over the top.. but i agree with the post at the top.. ifyou believe in what you are doing and can subtantiate it without bantering the company / union line.. then i respect you .
I also have spoken directly with a friend who is picketing.. their pay was $8.. maybe they voluntarily agred to pay their back dues ?.. dunno..

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:29 pm

Everybody knows that B.C. employees got mailed their 'come back to work' offers this week, right? Well, from what I'm hearing, support for it is much, much lower than in Alberta, and lower than the company expected as well - however, it looks like between 10 and 15% in BC have 'expressed interest' in returning to work... of course, that's not to say that they actually WILL - that just means they either initiated, or answered a call with their manager, regarding coming back to work.

Now, from what I hear, even after the doors are "opened" BC employees probably won't be asked to cross any picket lines - it really is too dangerous there... at least, that's what they keep saying... so the plan supposedly, is to allow people to work from home where applicable. This poses as interesting dillemma though! Theoretically, a union member could walk the picket line twice a week, be all full of solidarity, etc, collect their picket pay, any yet still be working from home 5 days a week... how would their brethren ever even know, until after the whole thing is over?

When given an enticing offer like that, I think there will be some interest - of course, having said that, it's still a strong union province, and I'd be surprised if more than 15% to 20% took the deal.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Tue Sep 06, 2005 8:58 am

Update to the working from home thing ... apparently if the company allowed employees to VPN in to work from home, then their house becomes their place of employment, and it can legally be picketted ... therefore the company has nixxed the idea... gotta protect the employees after all!

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:20 am

even 15 to 20% that would then be a company truly divided. I am glad they will not let the people work at home at least if you are going to have to cross let there be saftey in numbers. Although would like that option when this is over..

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:33 pm

MM
This is about morals and ethics. No matter how you spin it, scabbing is all about greed. If you don't agree with picketing you should stay home. When you sign up for a union you don't betray your brothers and sisters.

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Fri Sep 30, 2005 6:43 pm

MM
This is about morals and ethics. No matter how you spin it, scabbing is all about greed. If you don't agree with picketing you should stay home. When you sign up for a union you don't betray your brothers and sisters.
I heard a joke once. Don't tell me that I'm implying anything about one side or the other, I'm not. Anyway, it went along like this.
There was a large group of people. On one side of the group stood a man, Jesus. On the other side of the group stood Satan. Separating them, running through the group, was a fence.

The scene set, both Jesus and Satan began calling to the people in the group and, one by one - each having made up his or her own mind - each went to either Jesus or Satan.

This kept going. Soon enough, Jesus had gathered around him a group of people from the larger crowd, as did Satan.

But one man joined neither group. He climbed the fence that was there and sat on it. Then Jesus and his people left and disappeared. So too did Satan and his people. And the man on the fence sat alone.

As this man sat, Satan came back, looking for something which he appeared to have lost. The man said, "Have you lost something?" Satan looked straight at him and replied, "No, there you are. Come with me."

"But", said the man, "I sat on the fence. I chose neither you nor him."

"That's okay," said Satan. "I own the fence."
The point I'm trying to make here is someone always owns "the fence". In this case the union does. By staying home, I am supporting the union, not the company. By continuing to go to work, I am showing support for the company and their actions. I do not in any way support the union's actions, and therefore I will continue to report to work and show my support for their decisions.

This has nothing to do with money or greed. It has to do with integrity of my own decisions. If I were to ignore my own integrity by not showing up to work when I have a contract with the company which states I will do X amount of work for X amount of pay then my integrity would not be worth anything. Integrity is something which everyone should indulge in. I have chosen to take my contract with the company, which I signed first and foremost, over the contract with the union, which was signed secondary.

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:53 pm

People are working for many reasons: some are motivated by greed however I think the greate number have been motivated by a sense of duty as well as a sense of responsibility to thier families.

A great many people have examined the facts, as they are available, and have made a decision to continue working or to return to work.

Return to “Rumour Mill”