Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Accenture

Help dispel some rumours about unions or companies in the this sector.
bob marley
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Accenture

Postby bob marley » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:19 pm

Telus is exploring the possible outsourcing of all customer service/call centre jobs to a global company called Accenture.

Accenture pays around 12 bucks and hour.

Telus would simply sell the call centres (and their employees, it's a package deal), and then contract Accenture to provide these services on a long term basis.

Much as they have done with most of their real estate: sell it, and then lease it back.

Telus reaps a big, big profit with the initial sale, reduces costs, and unloads a sizable chunk of their workforce all at the same time.

DE's dream come true.

You've been warned folks, take your blinders off, and I ain't whistling dixie.
Enjoy that kool-aide, for now.

Olive
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Olive » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:20 pm

Sweet, hopefully this is true.
Getting rid of ALL union jobs would be awesome for the company

But yet again. more union propaganda

TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS TWU SUCKS

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:27 pm

accenture is the company that took over bchydro( customer service and meter reading)...i have freinds that work there and they said this company is so shady they dont even let them in in the united states. they are based somewhere in the bahamas.
most of my buddys got their pensions out to administer themselves when the switch happened. This happened about 3 years ago..quietly...now they are closing the call centers.

bob marley
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby bob marley » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:46 pm

The Foffer will allow Telus to do just this.

Darren has threatened, initially, to move all these jobs to Alberta, a more scab friendly environment.

What a deal for Accenture!

They won't have to deal with a troublesome union, when they take over.

That's probably part of the condition of sale.

Darren has to get rid of the union or, at the very least, remove any roadblocks before the deal goes down.

former telus
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby former telus » Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:56 pm

I found this, "If I work really really hard I wont loose my job" :roll:

B.C. call centres closing
Last updated Aug 12 2005 08:30 AM PDT
CBC News
Bermuda-based Accenture Business Services is closing three of its call centres in B.C. – laying off 112 people.

Accenture runs call centres for B. C. Hydro in Prince George and Nanaimo, and one for Terasen Gas in Kelowna.

The company says the move will cut costs and make operations more efficient.

Canadian Office and Professional Employees Union spokesperson David Black says the union is concerned about the future of its members who are losing their jobs.

"We're also concerned about the towns where those jobs are very important. Those are well-paying jobs that support a number of other businesses in the community."

FROM FEB. 28, 2003: Hydro jobs signed over to multinational
Black says the B.C. government is partly to blame – for privatizing part of B.C. Hydro's operations to Accenture two years ago.

At the time, Hydro said the $1.5-billion deal guaranteed it $250 million in savings over 10 years – with the savings coming from new business and economies of scale, not job cuts.

lemonysnickets
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby lemonysnickets » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:02 pm

yeah, does it really matter? you're not going to be able to force telus to not be able to outsource... And the government isn't going to say "OH MY GOD, YOU CAN'T OUTSOURCE" unless the federal government passes legislation that publicly traded companies are not allowed to outsource positions.

You're dreaming otherwise Bob... go smoke up some more.

Stuartgg
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Stuartgg » Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:28 pm

The Foffer will allow Telus to do just this.

Darren has threatened, initially, to move all these jobs to Alberta, a more scab friendly environment.

What a deal for Accenture!

They won't have to deal with a troublesome union, when they take over.

That's probably part of the condition of sale.

Darren has to get rid of the union or, at the very least, remove any roadblocks before the deal goes down.
To be very sure......,

Following the mind set and advocated actions of people like yourself (including staying on Strike); will virtually guarantee the "moving and outsourcing", of TELUS Jobs!

*you and your like-minded *, are a * within TELUS and the TELUS Employee Body.

I am, saddened and sickened, reading your, "GARBAGE" and having to realize, that some people will actually take you seriously!

*edited by JohnDoe - No negative comments towards each others, pick on the ideas, not the people making them. Warning 1.*

Stuart G Gilbertson

Izaya
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Izaya » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:26 pm

To be very sure......,

Following the mind set and advocated actions of people like yourself (including staying on Strike); will virtually guarantee the "moving and outsourcing", of TELUS Jobs!

*you and your like-minded *, are a * within TELUS and the TELUS Employee Body.

I am, saddened and sickened, reading your, "GARBAGE" and having to realize, that some people will actually take you seriously![/quote

There is no doubt that is already happening, but are you saying the TELUS offer does not allow for such?

*edited by JohnDoe - Removed negativity from previous post*

chucklet
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby chucklet » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:40 pm

Mr.Marley,
I think you are on to something here. If a consumer could single source utility service providers for moves, new connections etc there are economies of scale.
One call does it all...

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:47 pm

LetsVote
'*, you and your like-minded *'. Do you know something we don't know? These kinds of posts do nothing but decrease your credibility.

The head office for Accenture is in Bermuda. They used to be known as Anderson Consulting, the consulting arm of Arthur Anderson, the accounting firm implicated in the Enron scandal. Wonderful company.... The head office is based in Bermuda for taxation reasons only. Very few people work there.

lemony
It's very disheartening that you appear to show such callous disregard for fellow employees. If we all give up the fight, everyone loses.

chucklet
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby chucklet » Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:56 pm

Accenture Business services and TELUS have been in ongoing discussions for over 3 years. The model that Hydro adopted is one that could EASILY be ported over to TELUS and provide greater economies for utility type customers ( Low value, High touch type customers).

This is not idle speculation, and like it or not, this could well be part of the TELUS future mode of operation, now that the TA is trash.

bob marley
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby bob marley » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:31 pm

Accenture Business services and TELUS have been in ongoing discussions for over 3 years. The model that Hydro adopted is one that could EASILY be ported over to TELUS and provide greater economies for utility type customers ( Low value, High touch type customers).

This is not idle speculation, and like it or not, this could well be part of the TELUS future mode of operation, now that the TA is trash.

Exactly, and this is why the TWU needs to get Telus back to the table (and they will).

I fear this Accenture deal could happen regardless and the proud picket line crossers in Alberta are going to be in for a very rude awakening, finding out rather abruptly that they are no longer even employed by their beloved Telus.

Overnight, they will have become employees of the mulinational Accenture with NO union representation.

$12 @ hour
Very few, or no benefits at all.

And that is only if Accenture decides to keep the call centres in Canada.

Regardless, it won't be any concern of Telus (and neither will you).

As long as Accenture fulfills their contract, and delivers the cost savings, Telus will not give a rats a** what happens to their former empoyees who had loyally crossed picket lines (with their personal integrety and responsibility).

DE will be happily driving around in his Hummer in the USA, happy with his new position with Verizon.

*Stuart, I don't appreciate being called *, simply for telling the truth.
Particularly by you.

I initially replied to your post and it wasn't very nice, (thank you Admin 1 for deleting it).

Let me just say that it is the *'Stuarts' of this union that, (in my mind), are largely responsible for this dispute dragging on so long, not the so called * members of the TWU.

Now,
be nice.
:wink:

Edited by Ash. Why is it that so many people have trouble spelling Stuart?????? Please spell the name of the person you addressing CORRECTLY.

*edited by JohnDoe - Removed reference to previously deleted name-calling. Hey Ash! 8) *

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:38 pm

chucklet
The Accenture model is to provide a pretense of customer service. They don't care about customers. They have call centers for all kinds of different clients. Terasen Gas customers have had a taste of the back east mentality. Now they will be subjected to it full time. It's not a pretty picture. If TELUS goes that way they will lose a lot of customers.

chucklet
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby chucklet » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:39 pm

I'm betting this horse is leaving the gate. The TA turndown was the last straw. You will see a new TELUS structure after this. The 50.3 % blew it by betting they could strongarm DE.

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Sat Nov 05, 2005 4:47 pm

chucklet
That's really sad to hear. Customer service will go down the tube, customers will leave to other competitors, and the great growth dream will go up in smoke. I guess that will mean all the clerical jobs moving to AB will be toast.

Return to “Rumour Mill”