Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

So Sue Me

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

So Sue Me

Postby Mimi Williams » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:54 am

Just posted this on VFC and don't feel like retyping:
So Sue Me
I was confused when speaking with a delegate last weekend who informed me that a delegate attempted to move an emergency resolution at convention that was to instruct Executive Council to drop its' lawsuit against me. I thought the delegate telling me this was confused since I have sued the TWU for wrongful dismissal and, to my knowledge, have not been sued by the TWU for anything. As it turns out, both the delegate at convention and the delegate on the phone with me had it right. From the Executive Council's January meeting minutes:

Whereas the labourtalk website in an anti-union forum; and Whereas membes of the TWU EC have been publicly defamed on that website by a former member; now THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED that the TWU fund a legal suit that will be brought before a former member for defamation of character M/S

MOTION to go into closed meeting per 2c 1:52 p.m.
M/S/C Unanimous

MOTION to come out of closed meeting 2:32 p.m.

On the main motion
M/S/C Opposed - Sister Schneider

So, apparently, Bobby is the only person who understands that speaking the truth is a compete defence to defamation. Maybe the Union's lawyer explained that to them when they tried to launch the lawsuit. Apparently, this great use of the members' money (suing me) was in response to this post that I made on labourtalk. I repeat it here because I know many of you don't go to that site:
quote=
Posted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:24 pm Post subject: I am pissed

During the first part of the examination for discovery in my lawsuit against the TWU, John Carpenter declared several "undertakings". This is quite normal and I will probably do the same when I go through my examination. Basically, what it means is that you undertake to get back with information that you don't have available at that instance. So, it might be that you need to consult some other person or consult a document. Whatever. Like I said, apparently it's quite normal for this process. At any rate, we had scheduled the resumption of the discovery (which had commenced on December 1st) for January 19th. John Carpenter indicated that he would have no problems fulfilling his undertakings by that time and we could get on with this lawsuit.

One would think one could fulfill such a commitment, given that's over seven weeks to do what one said one was going to do, right? Well I guess not if the "one" is one John Carpenter. The union's lawyer e-mailed my lawyer after 4:00 p.m. today to advise that his "client" is having difficulties completing the undertakings before January 19th and requested that the process be delayed until "sometime in February." Unfortunately, the union's lawyer is on vacation through the month of February. My lawyer has suggested March 4, 5 or 6th as possible dates. I have advised him that this would fall during the TWU Convention. I have also advised my lawyer that maybe we should just suggest to the TWU lawyer that his "client" do what he said he was going to do.

Apparently, the union's strategy on this lawsuit is to drag it out as long as is possible. Or maybe that's just John Carpenter's strategy. At any rate, it is infuriating. The December 1st date had originally supposed to have occurred on November 14th. It was delayed to accommodate John Carpenter's busy schedule. John Carpenter's busy schedule also precipitated his own lawyer sending a copy of a letter to my lawyer in July wherein he "again" (by cc) asks Carpenter to call him to discuss this matter.

I invite anyone on this site that is still connected to send this information to delegates with the hope that someone will have the balls to stand up on the Convention floor and ask the TWU Executive just why they wish to drag their heels on this matter. I am more than willing to share all documentation that I've got with a delegate or delegates for that express purpose. I am sure that there might be some members of the Executive who recognize that whenever I get to testify (let's hope it's in this decade!), it is not likely to be pretty for the TWU. I hope that there's at least a couple smart enough to recognize that delaying this matter endlessly isn't apt to make that testimony any prettier. To compound matters, I have a case before the Human Rights Commission that has been accepted which also keeps getting delayed because all parties agreed that we would wait until the discovery portion of the lawsuit was completed before proceeding with the human rights complaint. I agreed to that, of course, before I knew that the discovery portion of the lawsuit was going to take a year to complete. As an aside, the union is using a BC lawyer to defend itself against the Alberta Human Rights Commission complaint, a different lawyer than they are using for the lawsuit. What with all this and asinine Supreme Court challenges, it appears that the union has an unlimited legal budget. But I digress....

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the matters discussed during the examination for discovery are confidential. I do not believe the confidentiality extends to the antics surrounding just trying to schedule the meetings to do the examination.

Speaking of antics, if I was a member paying my hard-earned union dues to the TWU, I'd be asking what Ivana Niblett was doing in Edmonton on December 1st and checking to make sure she didn't file a per diem. Why would you ask this, you say? Well, my lawyer received a phone call from the union's lawyer a short while before the examination was set to begin asking if it would be okay if Ivana sat in and watched. We declined the offer. As I said to my lawyer that day, I always found Ivana's field trips with John to be an irritant when I was in office. Surely to God, the members in Calgary might have concerns that needed to be addressed. Or maybe the Education Committee had some work that needed doing. Whatever. Do either John or Ivana consider that before they jump in the car and drive off wildly in all directions?

If I were a member paying my hard-earned union dues, I'd be questioning the value the TWU got that day as Ivana sat in the Edmonton office waiting for John. Or what value they would have gotten having her sit in my lawyer's office staring at our proceedings. Or what sort of value they are getting from a Vice President who can't seem to honour his work commitments.=unquote

Here's the irony. The last portion of discovery was scheduled for April 7th. We scheduled that at the end of the January 19th meeting where I underwent my examination for discovery. On March 20th, I received an e-mail from my lawyer advising that John Carpenter had requested this be rescheduled because "a CIRB commitment has come up that creates a conflict for John Carpenter." I responded to my lawyer that John Carpenter created his own conflict because he would have been fully aware when booking his CIRB commitment that he was already booked for April 7th. I suggested that my lawyer tell the TWU's lawyer that John Carpenter is not the only person who can represent the TWU at the CIRB, nor is he the only individual that can represent the TWU in the proceedings regarding my lawsuit. The response we got from the TWU lawyer was that John Carpenter had to attend the CIRB hearings. He didn't explain why John didn't bother to indicate he was already booked for the 7th on another matter when the CIRB meetings were being scheduled. We indicated we wished to proceed on the 7th. The response we got was that nobody else could represent the TWU at the CIRB and that John would not be attending the meeting we have scheduled for the 7th. It has been rescheduled to the 27th.

Now, if me complaining about the endless delays in this matter triggered Executive Council passing a motion to sue me for stating what is all completely true, I can't wait to see what this post today generates.

It occurs to me, also, that the TWU has taken a page out of the corporation's (pick any corporation - Telus, Canada Post, etc.) handbook. If someone is saying something you don't like, even if it's true, sue them. It even has a name: litigation chill. Sadly, though it should really come as a surprise to nobody, I am not afraid of being sued for recounting facts. Not in the least. I also think there's some sort of provision in the court system to hold TWU account for any frivolous or vexatious lawsuits. They might have been warned about that by their lawyer, also, when he explained that you can't successfully sue someone for defamation when the individual is telling the truth. And has documentary evidence (including above-mentioned letter from the union's lawyer) to back up their statements.

I'm sure that everyone would agree that this is a fantastic use of members' hard-earned dues money. Not.

*** quote box added by NC ***

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:47 am

WTF!! What has the TWU got about spending money in court?

Someone has to get hold of the most recent financials and find out what the disbursements to legal are for your union, it must be astronomical. You have to spend the millions you make each year in dues somehow I guess.

Every time I do this I get mad that the membership of the TWU can NOT decert or raid in another union, it is not logistically possible to gather the requisite what... 6,000 - 8,000??? signatures necessary to apply for a vote, much less *have* the vote. The TWU is completely safe, insulated from retribution by their membership unless *thousands* mobilize.

What a racket.

Find - Desiderata - read it

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:48 pm

Never seems to get any better does it Mimi.
Take care and good luck

---p

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:44 pm

Mimi: Good luck to you. A few of us have endured the bullying of Ivana Niblett, Lee Riggs, et al.....no less than the two faced accusations by the pres of past officers.....John Carpenter. well he just likes to help us shopping and showing us the sights!! Not bad for a Bar Huckster. Good for him to get his friend "other John" a position. It really was due him.
What a team!!!
Do you have any idea how may delegates we are going down. Canada wide, in convention delegates?
We are tired of paying these bastards to work against us. When it's for us they hide behind the Federations of Labour...
We hope you get your day in court...

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:37 pm

I guess they can add Wimpole 1 to the defendants list eh?

Stupid bastards... oops.. that's three.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:50 pm

Such a sad situation. Best wishes Mimi!

TWwho?

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:59 am

Mimi, any update? Hearing lots of rumours about Lane St and some reorg of BA's, not sure those are tied together with your situation or totally unrelated but sounds like things are more interesting than usual.

Sammy

Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mimi Williams » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:27 am

There's been lots of talk about bullying over recent years and I know how to deal with bullies. You stand up to them and tell them to bring it on. It usually makes them go away. That was the purpose of my "So Sue Me" post, which I posted here, on VFC and on facebook. I have not been sued

As to the problems going on at Lane Street, the only comment I will make is that maybe some people need to read my three sentences above about bullying.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:25 am

You are correct Mimi. However, the trouble now is the people that were involved with bullying or witnessing and doing nothing about it, in the past are now finding themselves in the uncomfortable position of having it done to them. I have noticed that they seemed to believe that the main people that threw out the last batch were actually going to treat the "old school twu" with respect. Come on! These leopards aren't going to change their spots. George weaseled his way to the top slicker than rat guts on a railroad track and is using the same slimy tactics to maintain control. He is a real piece of work. Betty is a party animal and wherever the party is she's going. (Chicago,Alberta....) John Carpenter? Well what can we say!! Ivanna Nibblet? Lee Riggs? The real hard core psychcopaths will remain and everyone else will go on sick leave. Unless you're Maria Z. Oh what fun!
Now that is your union truly working for you!! and they are asking for your support. What a bunch of b.s.

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Any update to your dispute Mimi? This seems to fit with the issues being raised about JC and the approach to bargaining with COPE in that scare tactics or perhaps even bullying might be perceived. As I recall that's what the TWU thought of the approach TELUS used in bargaining and the similarities are many.

Sammy

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Thought I'd use this thread to respond as this describes some of what was the original issue. Be strong next week Mimi, many of us will be thinking of you.

I don't know if anything ever came of the motion from the TWU to sue you, or if your HR complaint was ever heard, the battle next week will no doubt be difficult.

Sammy

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:35 pm

Does *anyone* other than the current executive support this suit?

Mimi, keep us appraised.

I will lose faith in Karma if this goes against you.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:12 pm

From Mimi's previous posts it seems apparent that john carpenter, (vice-pres. handling this) is the only one who is vehemently trying to delay Mimi's day in court. If anyone can clarify this it would be most appreciated. As we know the twu does have it's share of bullies.
Good luck Mimi.

Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mimi Williams » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, of course, I can't speak to who is motivated by what but there will be no more delay as the trial proceeds Monday morning at the Court of Queen's Bench in Edmonton.

My lawyer anticipates I will be on the stand all day Monday. He doesn't fully realize just how much I have to get off my chest, so I suspect I'll go into Tuesday as well. It is anticipated that the Defense will begin to present their case late Tuesday or Wednesday.

I am advised observers are welcome, although I do not have a courtroom number to provide.

Thank you for your well wishes. They are most appreciated after this long and difficult journey. See you on the other side of the trial when I'll be back to present numerous reasons why voting Conservative is a bad, bad thing to do. :P

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:10 am

Hope things went ok and you "had your day in court" so to speak.

Sammy

Return to “General Discussion”