Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

So Sue Me

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Court rules in favour of TWU in decision re M Williams

Postby sammy » Thu May 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Hotline
Posted 2011-May-12
The Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta returned its decision, ruling in favour of the Telecommunications Workers Union (TWU) in the Mimi Williams v. TWU case on Tuesday, May 10, 2011.

The two issues were:

1) Did the TWU wrongfully dismiss the plaintiff after she was terminated by Telus?

2) If it did, is the plaintiff entitled to salary and benefits to the end of her elected term and in what amounts? If wrongfully dismissed, is the plaintiff entitled to aggravated and punitive damages?

Mimi Williams, a former Telus employee and TWU Business Agent (BA), lost her position as a BA in 2007 when her job was terminated from Telus for incidents that occurred during the 2005 labour dispute between the Union and the Company. The 2007 Convention upheld the acting President’s (Peter Massy) decision following her appeal to the Convention to overturn his interpretation of the TWU Constitution when he determined she could not hold her BA position. Mimi Williams sued the TWU for wrongful dismissal and sought to be paid to the end of her term, as well as aggravated and punitive damages.

The May 10 decision determined that Mimi Williams was not wrongfully dismissed and that the TWU did not act in bad faith as she had alleged.

To read the Memorandum of Decision in full, please refer to the following link: http://www.twu-stt.ca/sites/default/files/20110511.pdf

Sammy

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun May 15, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks Sammy, I wil try to get a better copy of it.

Posted a few minutes later:
It is of course too soon, the ABQB file number has not yet reach 314. I will post it as soon as I get it.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Update

Postby Mimi Williams » Fri May 27, 2011 10:54 am

In the interest of only that I'm lazy, I'm just copying what I just posted on VFC:

With time to digest the judgement and a meeting with my lawyer this morning out of the way, I can report that I know 2 things:

1) We are appealing. This decision has implications that go well beyond me and the TWU. It cannot be let stand.

2) If my signature ever finds its way to a confidentiality agreement relative to the TWU, it will have been signed with a pen clutched by my cold, dead hands. I can be beat, bullied and worse, but I will *never* be silenced. That's just not the way I roll.

Solidarity.

Return to “General Discussion”