Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

TWU applies to the CIRB... Again.

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

TWU applies to the CIRB... Again.

Postby green1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:27 pm

The TWU has filed an application with the CIRB to have LTS and TELUS declared a single employer for the purposes of collective bargaining.

If successfull this would mean that all I&R Contractors in BC would suddenly become TWU members and be under the same collective agreement that TELUS Employees are.

I read the whole application today posted at one of the TELUS buildings, and I suspect it will be posted shortly at all TELUS workplaces, however as it was a thick paper document I haven't included it here.

If anyone is a little more enterprising they may be able to find it by CIRB File Number 27598-C

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:22 am

I can't find that on the CIRB site or on CanLII. the case number you cited was "27598-C" can you confirm that as correct? If you have an electronic version I would be appreciative.

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:38 am

all I have is the thick paper one, if I get a chance I may try to throw it through a scanner if I can, but it may be a challenge to do so as the only copy I have access to is well attached to the wall.

The quoted file number was written on the CIRB "recieved" stamp, as well as on the lawyer's letter.

I managed to find this on the TWU website about it, but so far that's the best I can do... I'll see what else I can find.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:08 am

Here is the document green1 is talking about.

TWU application to the CIRB to include contractors as Bargaining Unit.

It is about 4meg, so a bit big but it is only 20 pages long. If anyone would like me to do a text recognition on it, let me know but the file would be very large then.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:41 am

This is an interesting approach to the contracting out issue, at face value, the claim seems reasonable, and there is some precedent for this. I think what makes the case is that LTS is hiring people to exclusively perform TELUS work, making there very little difference between them and a TELUS employee, I think things might be different if those same people did non-TELUS work as well. Will be interesting to see what the CIRB thinks.

I feel sorry for the LTS people, they may soon have to put up with the TWU as well... :roll:

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:55 am

See, if they were in BC and the union "varied" them into the Bargaining unit, they could vary themselves right back out again. But you poor b**tards are Federal so when they screw the lid shut on freedom to not associate, they use big screws.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:01 pm

The TWU also has a long history of making sure that new members do NOT have a vote before joining, they even avoid card certification drives in favour of CIRB rulings. (If they actually asked they'd have to risk rejection, this way there's no risk)

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:03 pm

green, what is the term of the CA? When does the decert window open?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:10 pm

I think it is November 20, 2005 to November 19, 2010.

So, in an agreement longer than three years you can apply to decertify the union in the last three months of each year after the third year.

By my figuring, the decert window opens on August 20th, 3 weeks from now and stays open until Nov 20 (maybe the 19th).

Decert cards are good for 6 months, so they should have been collecting by now... anyone wanna start a decert drive at Telus? You have three months and 20 odd days to collect half your bargaining unit's signatures on cards or a petition. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

There's a summer project for you green.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:13 pm

If you Google the words - decertify and telus... not surprisingly, you get LabourTalk.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:41 pm

Any idea if there's a way to get an update on this CIRB filing? all I can find on the TWU website is the initial letter, and the notices around TELUS have vanished now...
I have no idea how quickly the CIRB is likely to even hear the case, let alone make a decision, but it would be a really interesting read if we could find their decision on this one....

(though judging from the lack of postings in this thread, compared to some of the others on here, people are much more interested in the backstabbing politics than the actual labour relations issues...)

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:02 pm

On a somewhat related note, LTS (the contractor in question in this case) is in the process of being unionized provincially in BC by Construction and Allied Workers' Union, Local 68 Affiliated with the Christian Labour Association of Canada, As such the TWU filed an application for standing to try and prevent such unionization pending the outcome of the CIRB decision, the BC decision on that subject is available here

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:46 pm

To use the sidereal approach, we may have two in one here but it is very late and I just had to watch Brampton beat New West in the 3rd game of the Mann Cup (Lacrosse for all the infidels out there) so I am tired and angry and have not read this.

Courtesy www.CanLII.org

http://www.canlii.org/en/bc/bclrb/doc/2 ... i37838.pdf

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:24 pm

that's the same PDF I linked to in my previous post, it does tell us that the LTS employees are trying to unionize under a different union, it also tells us that the TWU doesn't like that, but it doesn't really tell us if or when we can expect a ruling from the CIRB about the TWU application regarding the relationship between LTS employees and TELUS. which is the main thing I'm interested in here.

I really don't know which way the CIRB would rule on this one, at face value the TWU claim appears to have merrit, and if granted it would drastically change how TELUS handles contracting out in I&R (and possibly other departments)

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:37 pm

I guess the twu's argument is that if they win and those guys really are Telus employees then they become TWU members at the same pay rate as the union folks who had thier jobs outsourced.

That will definately shake up the contractor business. I think we can expect some changes in the very short term from telus.

TWwho?

Return to “General Discussion”