Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

TWU applies to the CIRB... Again.

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:27 pm

I have a feeling that whether the twu wins or loses they will ultiately lose since there is no way that LTS and Telus will leave the agreement in place to have a bunch of twu members doing this work. the contract will be cancelled and new terms that sidestep any possible twu involvement will be put into place.

TWwho?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:39 pm

NC: According to the PDF of the application to the CIRB it is being handled by:
Shortt & Arsenault
Barristers & Soliciters
210 - 1201 West Pender Street
Vancouver, B.C. V6E 2V2

Attention: Morley D. Shortt, Q.C.

Tel: 604-669-4447

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 am

Uhhh... he's the TWU's lawyer. I am guessing I don't want to try to deal with that one. Stay tooned.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Big Al
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Big Al » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:06 am

If the TWU wins, and LTS falls under the TELUS/TWU collective agreement, they would then have the same Job Titles and Wage Schedules.

It would also mean LTS would be subject to requiring their employees to be Communication Technician Apprentices or a Journeyman?

Most of their technicians have been hired off the street, so would that make them all unqualified for the job.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:15 pm

One of the guys who knows about this stuff just emailed me and the CIRB is not ruling on anything yet. They are, right now, doing what the CIRB does the most... "considering".

How long will they "consider"? As another friend puts it... "how long is a piece of string?"

I do know that the LTS guys will not have much to say at this level of the process. I suspect it best if those people just keep their ears to the ground and watch for postings in the workplace.

If the CIRB decides to hear the TWU's case then the employees should make some noise... unless they *want* to join the TWU.

There's a lot of people reading this thread so hopefully a few LTS guys know what is going on and can react if they need to.
Last edited by NC on Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:25 pm

Thanks NC. I am usually a casual observer. However, I am close to people who work for LTS.

There is a lot of misinformation out there. As per usual, the union has bitten into it, and is squandering member money on another wild goose chase.
Hey Midnyte, I know you are not a frequent poster but I get the feeling, quite obviously, that the TWU is doing the "misinforming" can you, or anyone reading give me some idea of what they are claiming versus what the truth is?

As in, is Telus in charge of hiring and firing these LTS employees as the TWU claims? There are other things the TWU claims that cannot be verified and I would like to know and so would a few readers.

Thanks ahead of time.

Midnyte
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Midnyte » Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:27 pm

Hey NC.

The application to the CIRB is based on mostly on what the TWU has picked up via the grapevine.

LTS does not use telus stock, telus buildings, telus equipment or anything else. They are an entity unto themselves. Some telus systems are accessed thru a proxy server. How else would they get their work?

They do have to conform to telus training standards, and performance levels. Telus work practices must be met or exceeded.

If someone is not performing to the level that is expected (this is detemined through rigorous, inspection performed by another telus contractor) recommendatons are made for either more training, or release.

With the LTS model, there is no problem cutting loose a non perforer in a heartbeat.

Telus /twu model calls for a performance plan, extensive rehab, and or maybe relocation .

Hope that helps

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:55 pm

LTS does not use telus stock, telus buildings, telus equipment or anything else. They are an entity unto themselves. Some telus systems are accessed thru a proxy server. How else would they get their work?
I can't speak for LTS, but their counterpart in Alberta (ATI) DOES use telus stock, and telus buildings, equipment, not technically, but they drive vans that TELUS sold to them...

The bigger issue though is who hires and fires these people? who does their performance managment? LTS? or is LTS just a puppet for TELUS?
If TELUS says "fire that guy!" does he still have a job?

Midnyte
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Midnyte » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:46 am

It may have been that way in the early startup period, when everyone and their brother was running out west to contract for ATI, Aujulon,Tricrest et al.

Now that the process has stabilized, the contractors are getting better, more qualified people on board (including a fair number of ex telus people)

If a person isn't working out, they would probably be released before a telus request to deal with the situation.

Telus does not hire or fire, however, if you are unable to clear telus security, you would be restricted to other non telus projects

rameses
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

CIRB hearing date set

Postby rameses » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:33 pm

So the CIRB has set a date of Dec 2-4 to hear the TWU's argument.

http://www.twu-stt.ca/en/lts-contractin ... heard-cirb

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:58 am

I hope someone we know can make that hearing. Are the LTS guys allowed to attend? Looking pissed off and aggrieved?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:54 pm

I don't suppose anyone has any update on how the hearing went?

Midnyte
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Midnyte » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:09 am

I believe it has been carried over into January

Return to “General Discussion”