Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

What is the job of a Business Agent?

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

What is the job of a Business Agent?

Postby wimpole1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:54 am

"Member Outreach Committee
Robin Arndt, Business Agent
Isabelle Miller, Business Agent
Ivana Niblett, Business Agent
Lee Riggs, Business Agent
Michael Thompson, Business Agent
Tricia Watt, Business Agent
Alyson Williams, Business Agent"

(These are paid Business Agents that are supposed to be the experts on reaching the membership and organizing the masses. What the hell are they doing?)
Why did they have to hire another person to do their job? Because they are inept? We are paying them for this???)

"Hotline
Posted 2009-Aug-7
The Telecommunications Workers Union (TWU) is more dedicated than ever to improving membership satisfaction and increasing solidarity within its ranks. In order to help accomplish these goals, the Union has hired organizer Mike Thomas, who works out of the Edmonton office and is active province-wide. Mike’s primary focus is to help Locals organize their members internally and grow the Union by signing up new members from our Rand colleagues"

Below is the job description of a B.A. (out of the constitution, on line)

"Business Agents
(a) The Business Agents shall be full-time officers of the Union and shall be elected by
Convention. They shall perform day to day servicing of the Membership and such other
duties as assigned by the President.
(b) Should a vacancy occur in the office of Business Agent, an elected Alternate Business
Agent shall serve until the next Convention, at which time a successor will be elected. In the
case of a temporary absence, an elected Alternate Business Agent will be assigned to
perform the duties of Business Agent.
(c) Receive an annual salary and expenses established for the office by Convention"
Read into that, that they don't have to do anything!!! What is their job description!! Get paid bid bucks??
You should go on line to the twu site and read the job description for Pres and vices? What a laugh!! No trade union or company would have such flimsy job descriptions.

*** all cleaned up... Wimpole, you have a funny setting on your posts that stops you from using quotes... not sure how to change it. ***

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:44 pm

what I see written into this situation is that the executive is not happy with the way the BAs have been acting in alberta (read: lack of effectiveness) and have brought in someone to help things along. this is required since they can't get rid of the BA's they have.

TWwho?

rallyman1122
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby rallyman1122 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:35 pm

Given the treatment I received from Ivana Niblett long before the event, she has a lot to learn about reaching out to people in the union. Her only ability is to antagonize and attempt to bully anyone who might have a thought other that the narrow union propaganda she spouts.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:35 pm

I don't imagine that wandering through life with that handle would foster a kind and giving nature. It's like the old song "A Girl Named Sue". I think of Austin Powers every time I hear that name.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mimi Williams » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:37 pm

:? I don't get the Austin Powers reference; the song I know was
"A Boy Named Sue" by Johnny Cash.

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:43 pm

Remember the villian, Ivana Humpalot, in the Austin Powers movie, well Ivana Niblett sounds like she could have been a charater as well. It's a great name!! :D :lol: :oops:

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:44 am

As a BA wouldn't a more appropriate name be Ivana Ignoreu?

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:29 pm

As a BA wouldn't a more appropriate name be Ivana Ignoreu?
Now THAT'S! funny!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mimi Williams » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:54 pm

Okay. NOW I get it.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:59 pm

All that natural talent. Good thing i'm not a manager.

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:15 am

Okay. NOW I get it.
As my son likes to say of his older sister's ability to "get" the joke:

"... and the last horse crosses the finish line"

This comment is usually accompanied by quiet, very slow clapping.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:30 am

How about Riggs,Ruggles & Niblett? Sounds like a shady law firm, eh?
And they get about as much respect as a shady law firm. Maybe there is Hope for them yet. Watt's that you say?? You Doubt it is possible?

Return to “General Discussion”