Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

G'bye

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

G'bye

Postby paulg » Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:57 pm

Just completed my last week working for T, Monday I turn in my tools. keys and ID. It's been interesting working for BCTel/BTE/2S/TELUS over the last 35 1/2 years but it's time to move on. I will probably drop by to see what's happening but it's time to move on.

Cheers ---:-p

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:47 pm

I hear the contractors hire retirees.... ;)

best of luck in whatever you choose to do next.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:39 pm

Yup, the life of a contractor can be a lot of fun.

TWwho?

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:53 pm

Well I have reservations about contracting , but our VP was talking about bringing back retirees to fill in and I was told there are changes coming in the way TELUS hires and deals with contractors.
I do plan on doing consulting work for other clients, network analysis, VoIP troubleshooting etc, the sort of work I did before I moved last year.

---:-p

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:33 am

you know, you don't have to contract back to Telus. There are a lot of other opportunities. Give Presige a call...... or Tek Systems. there is overseas work as well.

TWwho?

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:15 am

I know of Tek, met them at the so called retirement seminar TELUS put on a few years back , turned out to be a hiring fair with half a dozen firms present. That really ticked off a lot of us. The companies were embarassed, they didn't know anything about the program TELUS had advertised. Anyhow, I know a few people working for TEK, haven't heard of Presige. Work overseas could be interesting

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:56 am

Please keep in touch, veterans are valuable. We need folks like you to keep the facts on the Board.

Find - Desiderata - read it

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 pm

With all these people getting buy outs from all over the company it is amazing that the only thing on the hot line from the union is that they need volunteers for Labor Day!!
It is a sad day when some of these people getting buy outs can only think of how they are going to double dip.
I heard that paulg used to be a good shop steward. The stewards/members that are around my shop floor don't think that's ethical, but hey, we all know how ethical the twu has become and they can rationalize anything.
Why are we not being told how many ba's have gone back to their Telus jobs because of the down sizing of members?
Because they probably can't get their bellies out of the trough!!

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:30 pm

I wouldn't come back to do contract work for Telus. there is a whole pile of other companies that need the skills.

TWwho?

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:11 pm

My thoughts as well. I used to do network performance analysis and troubleshooting for T, before that server support. There is a pretty large market outside TELUS for those services, and I don't consider working in that environment to be double dipping.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:39 am

With all the new wireless outfits getting startede in canada over the next couple of years there are lots of opportunities. Dave wireless, Globealive, Shaw, etc. not to mention the vendors: alcatel-Lucent, Huewei etc. etc,

Go get 'em tiger!

TWwho?

WonderWoman
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby WonderWoman » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:37 am

Enjoy your retirement PaulG. I have always enjoyed your contribution to this forum. Your knowledge and your passion has been a great benefit to all who read this forum. Take care and good luck with your future endeavors.

Return to “General Discussion”