Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

TWU joining the United Steelworkers of America??!?

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:47 am

There you have it!! It was voted on at the Executive Council meeting for the twu to affiliate with the Steelworkers union!! It is going to be brought up at convention.
These incompetents have destroyed a once proud twu completely. They must be full of pride for their accomplishments.
This is one of the black days in Labour History. I wonder what positions the exec have secured for themselves. How sweet is the pot?

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:42 pm

Are you kidding me? I thought they had passed a motion at convention that they would retain their independance and not pursue mergers?

Sammy

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:30 am

Ah, lies and deceit...who cares what was so passionately touted at convention...Some people will say and do anything to get into positions of power. Only trouble is once they get it, it is like the Peter Principle....they rise to the level of their incompetence. We are seeing the height of incompetence in action. As we have been saying all along...There is no twu and hasn't since these guys snaked/entertained/bullied their way in. (On our nickel)

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:55 am

Welcome to the big leagues kiddies! You will soon be represented by one of the most infamously inept unions in the country.

United Steel, Paper and Forestry, Rubber, Manufacturing, Energy, Allied Industrial and Service Workers International Union (United Steelworkers)

If you recall, these are the guys whose union hall burned down in Sudbury last year and they discovered that all of the files (anything newer than 1964 ish) were burned up too. And the computer files, though all safely backed up, were also stored in the same building as the fire - so they are gone too.

Think of how much fun lies before you now... (I chose "lies" on purpose)

What am I saying? You will all get to vote in a calm democratic way. These are the same ones that unionized the Lively Seven, who then had to swim upstream through the entire federal court system to un-unionized themselves two years later.

Find - Desiderata - read it

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:28 am

George Doubt and Leo Gerard have signed a letter of agreement? Well if you check out Leo's credentials (regardless of what you think of the Steeleworkers) you have got to scratch your head if George really believes that he is in the same league. It's astonishing!!
The members on the shop floor already have a poor opinion of George and he is living up to that opinion. How many months did George collect money from both the TWU and Telus?? Why has Sheryl Anderson been so quiet? Could she be under a gag order from George? If so why? Maybe someone can clarify this for us. Is George pissed at members in Alberta? Is he trying to get them for harassment??
Is Lee Riggs just standing by with Ivanna by his side, waiting for George to be kicked out so he can take over??
Convention is going to be fun!

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:37 pm

Ohhh this is going to be so good!! Once ythe Steelworkers are in they will feel obliged to "bargain hard" for the 2010-2015 contract. We could have a wonderful labour action. I have started hoarding granola bars and juice boxes in my spare filing cabinet....

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:04 pm

I have started hoarding granola bars and juice boxes in my spare filing cabinet....
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Man... this could get interesting. Someone should tell the other 15,980 TWU members (I figure 20 or so read here regularly) that they are getting the strike happy Steelworkers as bed mates.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:49 am

Now that those scum bags have been caught and yes they lied to us when they said there was nothing going on between them and the Steelworkers......

"Possible Strategic Alliance between TWU and United Steelworkers Union
2009-Oct-29
On October 21, 2009, the Telecommunications Workers Union (TWU) Executive Council voted to form a strategic alliance with the United Steelworkers Union (USW) in order to build solidarity and a closer unity of purpose between the two organizations, subject to the approval of convention."

Note the Date that this was put on the hot-line!! They voted on the 21st, admitted it to us on the 29th!! That means they've been having meetings long before. What a bunch of bull shippers! They haven't got a clue about trade unionism. The membership is taking all this in. The totally worthless union executive must be so ashamed that they were caught at this or they are extremely stupid. Probably both.
"Liar,Liar pants on fire/hanging from a telephone wire"

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:02 am

my only worry is, that with all the contractors available now, The company might not let me cross the picket line this time, and that would be a real shame!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:54 pm

I split this into its own thread. It seemed important enough.

I also started a Twitter user called TelusTWU.

I LOVE technology!! https://twitter.com/TelusTWU

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:32 am

Wouldn't it make more sense to merge with CEP? What's with merging with the Steel workers? Inside perks maybe??

"Bell Mobility workers to vote on union representation

MISSISSAUGA, ON -- The Canada Industrial Relations Board (CIRB) yesterday ordered a unionization vote of almost 1,600 Client Care workers at Bell Mobility in Mississauga.

Canada’s largest telco union, the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers Union has been assisting Bell Mobility workers to form a union since November 2008. The campaign moved into high gear in April of this year as hundreds of Bell Mobility workers began signing cards in support union representation.

On October 27, CEP filed an application for certification.

The company argued in its submission to the CIRB that the Board should only consider a bargaining unit consisting of all Bell Mobility workers across Canada including those working at call centres in Montreal and Vancouver. The Board, however, ruled that the Mississauga location, with almost 1,600 workers, was an appropriate bargaining unit and that CEP had enough support to warrant a vote to determine if a majority supported union representation by CEP.

The vote will take place at the Creek Bank Campus of Bell Mobility next Wednesday and Thursday, Dec. 2 and 3.

Bell Mobility is the mobile phone division of Bell Canada, one of the largest telecommunications companies in Canada. CEP already represents almost 25,000 Bell Canada workers. "

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm

You might want to think twice about CEP, they did a nasty to some of their members a few years back. The skinny, CEP cut a deal with BELL without the members knowing, The techs wages and benefits were cut and the techs screwed. They sold the company back to BELL a few years later and there was a nasty work stoppage.

---:-p

http://www.techsolutions.bell.ca/QuickP ... enDocument

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:Wh ... =firefox-a

Two years ago, the CEP and the Quebec Federation of Labor's Solidarity Fund set up a new company, Entourage Technology, to take over Bell's inside wiring operations. As part of the arrangement, the new union-owned company imposed wage and other concessions on the inside technicians who left Bell to join Entourage.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:54 pm

... As part of the arrangement, the new union-owned company imposed wage and other concessions on the inside technicians who left Bell to join Entourage.
...nice, talk about brotherhood eh?

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:41 pm

Well yes, and "they" didn't really leave Bell, from what I understand, they were Bell employees moved into the new company without their prior knowledge or consultation, in other words it was a secret deal. There used to be stuff on line but can't find much anymore

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:49 pm

What is your recommendation, paulg?

Return to “General Discussion”