Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

I found some more of your dues money...

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I found some more of your dues money...

Postby NC » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:21 am

Find - Desiderata - read it

dolphin
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby dolphin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:35 pm

So did TWU win or loose?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:43 am

So... some senior union members applied for a job. some weren't qualified at all for the position, and some were less qualified, but more senior than, the people who ended up getting the job.
The union grieved the action because the most senior people didn't get the job, but because TELUS did take seniority in to account when doing the hiring, they tried to claim that TELUS ignored their abilities and aptitudes instead.

In doing so, the union proved that they can't even read their own collective agreement, let alone understand labour law.

The collective agreement states that Employees must meet the minimum requirements to do the job. The TWU stated that it was unreasonable for TELUS to set minimum requirements at all. The job was for an outside plant engineering technician. The requirements were:
- having a basic working knowledge of computers
- having a valid driver's license
- not being colour blind
- being certified to do the job
(seems reasonable to me!)

The union further contends that TELUS violated the collective agreement by not assessing the skills and abilities of every candidate that applied for the job, even if TELUS knew from the application form that they had no hope of being successful. (I really don't see why anyone thinks that's a good idea, even as a prospective job seeker I wouldn't want to be interviewed for a position which I have already been disqualified from!)

Then the union argued that TELUS is allowed to decide how important seniority is and weight it accordingly when selecting applicants, but argued that TELUS didn't give it a high enough weight.
First of all, chose one side or the other! Secondly, the original arbiter decided that the question wasn't even relevant to the case, so drop it already!

so... quick summary:

TWU lost.

TWU Appealed, while calling the original arbiter an idiot

TWU lost again, and not only did the TWU loose, they had to pay the court costs for TELUS.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:38 pm

Unfortunately it seems that every decision needs to be taken as far as it possible can in the court system. The Union needs to put forward the position that they are doing everything possible for thier members.

In my opinion the members would be better served is the union put the money in the bank to be used in the strike fund.

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:22 am

Thanks for that summary Green. I too got the feeling (made an assumption) that the applicant had close ties to the union. I have no proof of it but I suspect there woudl be a *lot* of these cases if every the TWU took every person at Telus who was turned down for a job.

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:36 pm

Thanks for that summary Green. I too got the feeling (made an assumption) that the applicant had close ties to the union. I have no proof of it but I suspect there woudl be a *lot* of these cases if every the TWU took every person at Telus who was turned down for a job.
Although it is likely that these people have "connections", I wasn't actually meaning it in my post, when I said "senior union people" I simply meant union members with a lot of seniority, not people high up in the union (though these 2 are not mutually exclusive)

for that matter, at this point I have more seniority than 3/4 of the people in my department... I almost qualify (except for the whole union member thing... that'll be the day!)

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:28 pm

I always wonder how much influence the unions lawyers have with all this litigation. If the union is getting bad advice and taking legal action and losing the vast majority of times then it would appear that the advice they are recieving is not so great. I would have expected around a 50% win ratio.

Of course from the lawyers position they collect their fee no matter what the outcome.

Of course the alternative might also be true. the lawyers might be begging the union to please please not take everything to court when there is no chance of winning and being overruled by the executive

TWwho?

Return to “General Discussion”