Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Convention

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Convention

Postby sammy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:37 am

Elections?

The following people are up for re-election:

George Doubt
Betty Lockhurst
Bobby Schneider
Colin Brehaut
Lila Hackett vacancy
Tamara Marshall

I heard that George is running for re-election, as is Colin and Tamara, and will likely be uncontested. The Hackett vacancy will be pursued by one or more of the Alternate Business Agents. Betty will be challenged by someone else out of Calgary, haven't heard about Bobby.

Has anyone else heard any rumours of what's happening?

Sammy

Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mimi Williams » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:07 am

No mention of the Secretary Treasurer position?

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:17 am

Is it up for re-election? I think Sherryl is off on sick leave, but is she leaving?

Sammy

Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Mimi Williams » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:13 am

I have no way of verifying the veracity of the statement, but the letter from the Bellite that was posted here indicates she has been removed from office. I have heard from some members that this occurred after she was charged with harrassment by the President, but, again, have no mechanism by which to verify that. If I were a convention delegate, I'd certainly be asking some questions, but I'm just an interested observer so I just observe.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:36 am

Why is there nothing on the twu website about convention? No one on the shop floor new about it. It started today in Toronto!! They sure kept that quiet! It must be so shameful that the exec didn't want the rank and file (dues paying member) to know what was going on! What do you think this is costing us?

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:38 am

Why is there nothing on the twu website about convention? No one on the shop floor knew about it. It started today in Toronto!! They sure kept that quiet! It must be so shameful that the exec didn't want the rank and file (dues paying members) to know what was going on! What do you think this is costing us? This is only one of the two conventions we'll be paying for this year. No wonder they want to exercise the one days pay to cover their costs, plus an increase in union dues. That better not happen!

ps sorry about the double post.

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:44 pm

It seems like the convention is a well kept secret. In years past they would update their website so the membership was aware of what was occuring. It doesn't appear that communication is a priority any longer.

Sammy

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:08 pm

Remember to ask for Financials and there should be a budget for it, as well as a reporting at the YTD in 2011.

Find - Desiderata - read it

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:11 pm

President Opens TWU Convention in Gatineau, QC

National Telecommunications Workers Union President, George Doubt, opened the 2010 Convention on Monday, February 1, 2010, in front of an eager crowd of 112 TWU delegates and invited guests. This year’s Policy Convention is taking place in Gatineau, Quebec, a short distance from the nation’s capital, from February 1-6.

“It is 2010, a year we have been preparing for and a year which will define our Union.â€

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:38 am

Am I missing something in the nominations? We've moved a new BA position to Quebec, not sure whether that is Bobby or Lila's position as I don't see anyone nominated for either of those. Also no mention of what is happening with Sherryl Anderson, I thought earlier Mimi had mentioned her position would be vacant as well. Has she decided to come back to the union office? I believe she was off on sick leave for a time.

Seems like news from convention has been pretty quiet this year.

Sammy

rameses
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby rameses » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:05 pm

Does anybody know what resolutions are being presented at convention this year?

Nominations come and go, and most people who strive for an elected position are pretty much the same, but Resolutions are what truly affect the the day to day operations of the union.

Are there any constitutional changes being proposed?

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:01 pm

FEBRUARY 5, 2010

Convention Update 

Following the candidate speeches, the Finance Committee continued to present their report yesterday with budget talks and spending reductions taking centre stage. In light of decreasing TWU membership numbers due to Telus' department closures and offshoring activities, the Finance Committee made the following recommendations that were passed by delegates:

#11: Recommend to suspend Financial Policy #16 Social fund.

#12: Recommend to suspend General Policy #35 Federation Conventions and further recommend to fund at 50% or $52,217.00.

#13: Recommend to suspend Minor Sports Sponsorship Policy #1.

#14: Recommend to suspend Financial Policy #27 Political Action.

#15: Recommend to suspend Education Policy #1.

#16: Recommend to suspend Health & Safety Policy #9 for Education.

#17: Recommend to suspend line item 84 Promotions.

The Finance Committee is currently discussing a motion regarding a dues increase and will resume presenting their report today. The Workers Compensation Board Committee began presenting their report yesterday and will also resume at a scheduled time before the close of Convention.

Final Candidates Deliver Speeches

As the TWU Convention in Gatineau, Quebec, comes closer to an end, the remaining nominated candidates delivered their speeches yesterday morning. These also included bargaining nominees and candidates vying for the position of President. This is a very important year as the TWU prepares to negotiate a new Collective Agreement with Telus.

Voting will take place on Saturday followed by the swearing in of newly-elected Officials later in the day. Members can refer to the TWU website at www.twu-stt.ca to access the names of elected Officials on Monday, February 8th.

"This is a very important year as the TWU prepares to negotiate a new Collective Agreement with Telus."

Why doesn't any of these geniuses suggest cancelling all these conventions that amount to nothing but a huge waste of money!!

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:48 am

The dues increase to 2.1 passed 56-46. All 46 registered their negative votes after the chair was challenged because the chair ruled that it was not in order. The chair lost and the negative votes were registered.
It would be interesting for someone to tell us why the chair thought negative registered votes should not be allowed!! Was that to protect the delegates that voted for the dues increase from facing criticism from the rank and file?

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:13 pm

At this point nothing would surprise me! Do we have a new president or any new business agents or is it the incumbents that will lead us again?

Sammy

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:34 pm

george doubt elected pres 57 votes over perry pasqueleto(?) 55 votes. Tells of a really happy bunch of delegates would you say?? (little) yay "landslide" doubt. Lots of confidence in that vote!!

Return to “General Discussion”