Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Merger???

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Merger???

Postby NC » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 pm

Okay, someone tell me what you are hearing.

This sound like fun.

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:28 pm

I'm hearing from TELUS that they are not interested in any mergers...

The annual shareholders meeting includes ratifying a "shareholders rights" clause designed to make any takeover bids more difficult (they can't legally stop them, but they can give them more hoops to jump through)
TELUS and Bell have both been very clear in the past that they are not interested in merging (well, more that they just know they'd never get approval for it)

The only one TELUS has ever tried to get cozy with was Verizon, but they pulled out completely a few years back selling all their TELUS shares.

Canadian ownership rules seem to be relaxing a little bit, but that's geared mainly toward new entrants in the wireless business, and doesn't seem to likely allow a foreign takeover of a Canadian company yet.

Maybe this is just more smokescreen from the TWU to try to direct attention away from their own attempts to merge with every other union out there?

(I had a shop steward tell me the other day that TELUS wouldn't dare turn down union demands in the next round of negotiations, because the steelworkers would show up on the picket lines with baseball bats, I love the maturity of union shills...)

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:53 am

I hope that you telus folks realize, and react more effectively to a strike vote this time. You may not be able to get rid of the TWU (or whoever they merge with) but if you never give them a mandate to strike you can sure pull thier crooked inbred teeth.

You had all best start a NO STRIKE VOTE campaign because that is probably going to be where you find yourself at about day 5 of bargaining.

I can see the Steelworkers, or better yet the SEIU slavering at getting TWU's bank account. The SEIU will do anything for money. They whore thier own members out to make dough. You guys and your $14,000,000 per year in dues generated revenue would be an egg just too golden not to pilfer.

It should be interesting, I hope there is better comminication with the rank and file this time around.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:02 am

I hope that you telus folks realize, and react more effectively to a strike vote this time. You may not be able to get rid of the TWU (or whoever they merge with) but if you never give them a mandate to strike you can sure pull thier crooked inbred teeth.
well last time they illegally banned many people from their strike vote, and then the strike mandate had expired many months before they walked out.

This is why they claimed lockout rather than strike, they were not in a legal strike position.

But then again, we're off topic for the thread created because we were off-topic in the other one... :wink:

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:46 am

Ouch!! That was mean. Correct but mean. I figure this thread is going to wander a bit anyway.

If the CRTC lets Telus and Bell merge (and there is nothing that says they want to) I suspect the public and political outcry would be deafening.

Return to “General Discussion”