Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

THIS IS A FIRST

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

THIS IS A FIRST

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:04 am

Posted 2010-Jul-23
The Telecommunications Workers Union (TWU) is pleased to have welcomed the Minister of Labour, Lisa Raitt, and members of her staff at the TWU Head Office in Burnaby, B.C. on July 13, 2010.

The Minister was accompanied by Hélène Gosselin, Deputy Minister of Labour, Douglas Smith, Chief of Staff and Jocelyne Turner, Press Secretary.

The Minister discussed several issues of concern and commended the Union on all the hard work that has gone into preparing for this year’s collective agreement bargaining with Telus.

The TWU has sent a notice to bargain and will be meeting with Telus on Monday, July 26, 2010.

We will keep members abreast of all developments as they become available
This from the twu hotline

Were the Progressive Conservative members invited or did they just happen to be in the neighborhood??
This is most anti-union political party in Canada and they are commending the twu on their hard work. Makes one want to gag. Besides that the twu is PLEASED that they came!!
What a bunch of yokels!! What a way to show no political savvy!

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:26 am

This is most anti-union political party in Canada
Correction... This is the least pro-union political party in Canada.

Even the Conservatives show more pro-union bias than the most liberal of political parties in most civilized countries.

Canada is a LONG way behind on the human rights front where unions are concerned.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:56 pm

Please give examples of anything the Harper Conservatives did to support or strengthen the trade union movement. How about anything Harper did or said that was pro union when he was head of that labour friendly think tank The Canadian Taxpayers association.
Well at least they're not shooting us (yet).

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:24 pm

It's what they HAVEN'T done that's more telling.

If they wanted to catch up to the first world on labour rights issues they'd have abolished mandatory union membership, removed card certification, and provided provisions for unionized employees to decertify in a practical way. Not to mention forcing unions to make their finances accountable to their membership...

Our current rules for unionization look more like a 3rd world mafia organization.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:15 pm

You are right up the alley of a "right to work" state. You'all know what that is? You must have done your homework. To all the "Civilized World" as you like to call it, it is just another word for "Right to Starve". Look it up and then come back here with an intelligent response. Only those that have never travelled this great world have such a narrow vision as you. Not to be disrespectful, you are among many who just don't have any critical thinking happening.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Even in the states you idolize so much, the non-right-to-work states, they don't have as heavy handed union tactics as in our most conservative provinces. They don't force you to pay union dues that don't go directly towards collective bargaining, something we do all the time here (what percentage of your union dues are used for collective bargaining? I bet it's tiny in comparison to the dues you pay. (for that matter, in Canada you aren't even allowed to find out!))

Canada's labour laws are so pro-union that they are in contravention of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the UN declaration of human rights. and yet the union lackeys decry how they aren't enough... They won't be happy until every man, woman, and child is paying union dues, and even then they'll fight it out over which union everyone should be part of.

Unions are worse than the mob, at least everyone KNOWS what the mob stands for, unions hide behind a mask of legitimacy that they have done nothing to earn.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:11 pm

That diatribe you have sent out isn't even worth a response. Why wouldn't one with your views move to Mexico (great climate, the odd earthquake and maybe a few Mexican Union organizers get shot or fired but on the whole) sounds like it may be just the place for you. There is very few protections for workers at all. That must sound even better and don't forget the cheap beer and accommodations. The Philippines, Cambodia,India, Korea, etc...must be your wish list...hooray for civic pride.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:15 pm

And what exactly has any union done for you in the past 25 years?
they threaten, intimidate, harass and bully, not to mention steal thousands of dollars of our hard earned money. For what? The protections that the law already provides?
I simply want the basic human right of freedom of association, in it's truest form where I am never forced to "associate" with a criminal organization like a union. (and if you don't believe they are criminal organizations look at the activities during any strike, sure they always claim it's not union sanctioned, but an awful lot of illegal activity always happens in their name!)

I shouldn't have to flee to another country to escape union persecution. How dare you suggest I leave my homeland just to escape organizations like that?

Mimi Williams
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Really?

Postby Mimi Williams » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:48 am

Canada's labour laws are so pro-union that they are in contravention of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and the UN declaration of human rights. and yet the union lackeys decry how they aren't enough...
As a keen observer of labour laws and human rights, green1, I am very interested in this statement you made.

Can you please enumerate the ways in which Canada's labour laws contravene the Charter and the UN Declaration? I would be interested to know which specific sections of either doctrine are being violated, and how. Thanks!

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:55 pm

Right to association is the problem. Any job which requires either union membership, or union dues violates both documents.

Th Canadian Charter of rights and freedoms includes a clause on freedom of association, the supreme court of Canada ruled in it's decision about construction workers in Quebec that mandatory union membership violates this clause due to it violating the implied right to non-association included in that same section.
The UN declaration of human rights is more direct, it explicitly states the right to non-association as part of it's section on right to association. This has been upheld in regards to mandatory union membership in Europe if I recall, (I believe NC had some information on this one a while back and may be able to provide more detail here. Sorry, I'm a bit busy right now and don't have time to dig back through his posts to find it, but I know it's there somewhere.)
The relevant sections of the Charter of rights and freedoms is available on the government of Canada website, and both it and the UN declaration of human rights are available in considerable detail on wikipedia.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:54 pm

I too am working too dmn hard right now but will sound in here.

Sorry Mimi, Canada is the last country in the world (not positive about 3rd world) that forces union dues from workers.

1) - We are the only country with Rand style forced dues. Many *had* it but their respective Human Rights codes and the UN Charter denies union's the right to forced dues.

2) - In Canada, if you do not pay your union dues you can be fired from your job.

3) - Some jurisdictions in Canada (BC for example) are the only places on earth where, if your union kicks you out for being in "bad standing" they can demand that you be fired from your job.

4) - There is no requirment for Canadian unions to report what happens to their money, how they spend it, or what the executive salaries are.

5) - This is the big one - Canada is the only country in the world who has citizens that do not have the "Freedom to *not* associate". All other countries acknowlegde that the "Freedom to Associate" has an assumed "Freedom to NOT Associate".

Canada is a signer to the European Charter of Rights an Freedoms, but does not recognize the rights they have signed to be bound by.

Basically, The Supreme Court found that while there was an "Negative right to not associate" (Advance Cutting and Coring) the labour unions in Quebec were so corrupt and so powerful that is was "a justifiable denial of that right" to force construction workers in Quebec to be in a union. You cannot work non-union in construction in Quebec.

I must agree with green1 that Canada's government trails all others when it comes to "Human Rights" versus "Union Rights". Unions Rights trump all and I dont like that.

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:02 pm

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:54 pm

United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Note specifically Article 20 section 2. (Canada by virtue of being a member of the UN has agreed to be bound by this declaration)

*** edited by NC - Made the Link text "Dark Blue" ***

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Wimpole, where have you gone? :?:

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Just in the bathroom upchucking my cookies after digesting all this anti-union bile.
If your type have their way Canada will become a workers paradise just like the sweat shops of Mexico and s.e Asia.
The only group that fights for workers rights are Unions and those unions that have the power to have workers lose their jobs are the most powerful. I.E. The Doctors Union, The Lawyers Union. etc.
Trade unions don't usually have that kind of clout.
In Solidarity

Return to “General Discussion”