Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

how long does it take???

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

how long does it take???

Postby green1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:46 am

"negotiations" have been going on since July, it's now November, and not a word from our union as to what's going on.

If everything was going well it should have been done months ago.

If things aren't going well they should be telling us what the stumbling blocks are!

How can they "negotiate" this document for 4 months without any information coming out???

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:22 pm

Well if you were on the twu bargaining team, and you could be put up in a first class hotel while bargaining was going on (if you were from out of town(out of town is up to twu interpretation) and you were getting your regular wages (what is it 10% above the highest paid tech?) and you were getting double time,triple time, vo....add infinitum. Why would you want it to end?? These guys are on the way out and they know it. May as well fleece the flock before you go. Bargaining can't be going that well. They may as well all be planning their escape routes. Buying property in some nice warm place where no one knows them and they can't be found, would be a start.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:00 pm

The scuttlebutt is, is that Bruce Bell (remember 5-6 years ago past pres. of the twu) is responsible for the bad feelings between the company and the twu!! Isn't that rich?!! A guy that most people don't even remember is responsible for the poor negotiating skills of the current bargaining committee! So what do you do when you can't explain your poor negotiating skills?? Why or course you blame a ghost!! It is Halloween after all.
Some of these union reps aught to check out why they are reps. It's not about the blame game. That makes one seem so small. It is about solutions. Or...it is about getting the hell out of the kitchen with your integrity in tact. The time is getting short.
Children blame each other and the past. Is that your legacy twu ??

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:10 pm

I was feeling so depressed that I went and bought myself a pizza and ate it at my desk. then after work I got my wife to circle the block while i slipped out the back stairs. then I dashed across the sidwalk and jumped into the car and we sped away. I got one of my co-workers to take some digital pictures and tonight I am going to send myself a letter and fine myself a thousand bucks. My ex-wife has agreed to call at random times during the night and threaten me (wait, she does that already). tomorrow I am going to borrow my daughters Tim Horton's uniform and sneak back into the building to do another full days work (with overtime).

I think tomorrow is going to be a submarine sandwich day..

TWwho?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:59 pm

alec: I hate to tell you this... there's no strike yet... so you're going to all that extra effort, and all without the gratification of making picketers explode with rage (I don't think I have ever in my life seen anyone as angry as that... people take the death of a loved one much more easily than seeing someone earning a paycheque while they choose to parade back and forth with a sandwich board instead)

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:39 pm

Nov 5th twu-sst hotline:
What a good laugh??

The Telecommunications Workers Union (TWU) Bargaining Committee continues to meet with Telus as we move forward in the process of negotiating a revised Collective Agreement. The TWU Bargaining Committee is comprised of President George Doubt, Business Agents, Colin Brehaut, Lee Riggs and Maria Zonni, and Bargaining Unit members from across the country, Jennifer Bucholtz, Allan Haggstrom, Harmony Jackson, Jacqueline Straw, Lance Trevison and Dave Turcotte. The Committee has completed the first pass through the existing Collective Agreement and is well into the second pass.

There are many issues that the Bargaining Committee must consider such as:
• The Union’s bargaining strength and solidarity
• Business trends and the overall economic climate
• The political environment in which we are attempting to get an agreement
• Upcoming reorganizations or downsizing
• What other unions in similar industries are achieving and the length of disputes they may have faced
• Past proposals from the company and what is likely to be on the table this round.
• The company’s financial health
• The cost of the proposals – both the Union’s and the company’s
• Upcoming mergers, takeovers or new technologies that might affect the Bargaining Unit
• The cost of a labour dispute for both the company and the Bargaining Unit

Your Bargaining Committee is meeting this week to prepare for the resumption of face-to-face sessions with Telus on November 9th. The Bargaining Committee has decided in order to facilitate open and frank discussions with Telus at the bargaining table, it is best to refrain from releasing details pertaining to the proposals at this time. This is a common negotiating strategy and is used to prevent bargaining in the media, on the shop floor as well as discouraging speculation by members and management. We understand that members are curious about the bargaining process and thank them for their patience and support as we move forward in achieving a successful round of negotiations.

The Bargaining Committee and Telus will resume meeting on November 9th and scheduled to meet three days per week until December 10th.

There is only one way to succeed – Standing together!

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:39 pm

It took them 4 months to read it 1 1/2 times??????

Forget bargaining, can we send them back to kindergarten??

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:01 am

I hate reading this stuff... I mean, I laugh and everything but... these are people's live were dealing with.

Do you think that they believe they are doing a good job? I mean deep down, when they are all alone at night, are they chuckling to themselves, or fretting that they should be more effective?

Find - Desiderata - read it

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:52 am

And meanwhile... my strike training continues.

TWwho?

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:33 am

The new hot line tells us that the talks are going to go ahead until March 2011!!! What great planning. By that time all the twu bargaining committee will probably be retirement age, take a huge buy out (paid for by the membership) and the company will have their way with the rest of us. The twu has it's own severe problems with firing the members in the office in Alberta and the bullying tactics of some of the twu hacks. It will be amazing if any of the exec will survive the next convention. Maybe this one will be held in a Telus phone booth.
Anyone know when the next convention is and where it will be held?
Sorry people...there will be no strike!! These guys couldn't get any support from the shop floor and that's where it's got to come from.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:24 pm

Company wide email today confirms that they are breaking for christmas from Dec 9 to Jan 11 (somehow I only get 1 day off for christms, why do they get over a month???)
And resuming talks then with meetings scheduled until at least March 31.

Contract expires day after tomorrow... remember how proud they were to start negotiating BEFORE it actually expired? see how little that meant?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:31 pm

It will be amazing if any of the exec will survive the next convention. Maybe this one will be held in a Telus phone booth.
Gotta love Google....

Find - Desiderata - read it

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:03 am

Call it a hunch but it seems that the s**t is going to hit the fan at the union elite very shortly. "About time!" you may say and you would be right. Let's keep the momentum going. Oh by the way...how is george doubt and john carpenter and the rest doing now adays? Anyone know? How is the anti-bullying campaign doing? How are the staff coping?

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:45 am

You were warned! This was mailed out sometime in Nov/Dec 2010

To President George Doubt, Executive Council, Bargaining Committee and All members of the Telecommunications Workers Union.
It has been brought to my attention that the President of the Union, that represents the members in Alberta, has removed the sole member of the bargaining committee who came from Alberta, which was duly elected by convention. It has also been brought to my attention that this same President has the authority given his position to assign members to a committee, and failed to do so. It is this same President that failed to realize that the members of Alberta are no longer represented on the committee, and in doing, so has again alienated Alberta members from the rest of the Union.
Past practice has had members of the elected bargaining committee remain on the committee even though they did not hold a delegates position (Sisters Foley and Schneider). It appears that this union, through the actions of the President, has shown discord, for the members of Alberta, otherwise, steps would have been taken to ensure representation would be maintained. The idea behind a Tactical Committee is to maintain strength and unity, the action by the head of this committee; the President, has caused a fray in the material and will cause membership to become disenchanted with the union.
I must remind the President, there are more members than those of the Province of British Columbia, and failure to provide equal representation to all members shows the disdain still held to those members who reside outside of that Province. I remember Convention stating the Telecommunications Worker’s Union is a strong independent Canadian Union. We are no longer strong and no longer equally represented which was a requirement of convention through the equalization ratio for delegates to convention.
As President of the 2nd largest Local in Alberta and as an elected member of Convention, I am utterly appalled at the decision that has been handed to the members of this union in Alberta, who now, are no longer represented on the committee. As well as, overturning a decision of Convention, without an article or policy that allows for this. I believe the president used the term ``those were different times`` when approached on the subject of members being kept on the Bargaining previously.
(for information only: the member was transferred to another Local and would not have been eligible to run for office under the Locals bylaws, however prior to any election being held and much discussion the member was reinstated to their original Local )
It also my understanding that the member was returned to her original Local and was elected to the position of President and is a delegate in the Local to which she had been a part of and to my knowledge is still a part of, yet that election has been ignored.
I would have hoped that the President with his authority would have realized that Alberta is now going to be even more upset with the current affairs of the union, now that they are no longer represented.
It is time this union stood up and stood by its overt statements, instead of giving lip service when it appeases it. Alienating the province of Alberta, puts this union in total disarray and puts the commitment, of strong union members, in question.
The way in which the sister would not have been allowed to run for her position in the Local that she had been forced transferred to, has caused more damage to this union (after much discussion she was
transferred back to her original Local prior to elections). The by-laws of the Local are in contravention to the Human Rights that this union quickly throws out there when it is convenient, but forgets about when it is even more convenient. I should remind the President that membership in this union is not through the Local, by simple TORT law. The contract is with The Telecommunications Worker’s Union, as to complete a contract, there must be an exchange of money. This is the reason for the five (5) dollar fee charged to each signing member. This money is given to the National Office not the Local therefore a member of the TWU is a member as long as they are in good standing. No By-law can exclude an existing member of the Union. The bylaws must abide with those of rules of the constitution and those policies of the Union as duly passed by the Policy Convention of the Telecommunications Worker’s Union.
Under Article IV 4. The Locals of the Union shall conduct their affairs in accordance with this Constitution, and any Local By-laws they may adopt which do not contravene any provision of this Constitution or stated policy of the Convention.
As well I direct you to Article V part 4
All applications for membership must be accompanied by either a signed authorization to deduct
Initiation fees, or by an amount equivalent to the initiation fees of the Union or by any such other amount as may be required by legislation.
You will notice that deduct initiation fees of the UNION not the LOCAL. Therefore members are members of the UNION always and of Locals only for the purpose of organization, in accordance with Constitution and Policies of the Union, unless membership is removed in accordance with the Constitution of the Union.
Application for membership shall be made on a form prescribed by the Union.
And
Membership in this Union shall be open to all workers in the communications or related fields except those excluded by legislation.
The only reference made to Locals in this section is
All applications for membership with the exception of those who resigned under the Collective
Agreement maintenance of membership clause and with the exception of those who become
Members due to an organizing drive at an unrepresented employer, shall be referred to the
Membership Committee of the Local for approval.
The bylaws of Local 213 Violate
Article 5 para 12: An Associate or Honorary Member shall be entitled to attend Local Meetings. They shall have a voice but shall not be eligible to hold any office or be entitled to any voting privileges.
By its omission in the above clause, a regular member is not excluded from any of the rights above, therefore by excluding a signed member from election is in contravention to being eligible to hold any office.
It should be also noted that executive council under the Authority of the Constitution can
Article VII para 4 (e) Suspend the provisions of any by-law or rule of a Local which is inconsistent with the terms of this Constitution subject to appeal to the Convention.
Article 8 Precludes any membership under the constitution.
The authority of the Locals shall be:
(a) To adopt, repeal or amend by-laws and rules to be consistent with this Constitution.
(b) To administer the affairs of the Local within their jurisdiction in accordance with this Constitution and policies of the Union as established by Convention.
(c) Prepare and submit policy recommendations to Convention.
(d) Prepare recommendations for negotiation to Convention or to the negotiation package meetings for the Bargaining Unit or Units represented in the Local.
(e) To do all other things necessary for the proper disposition of all matters, which may come before the Local for consideration.
Nothing more! By excluding properly signed members they have in fact violated the constitution.
I would remind the President of the following Clause of the constitution:
5. Bargaining Committees
The Bargaining Committees shall consist of the President and a structure determined by the
affected Bargaining Unit, subject to approval of the Convention or the Executive Council in the
case of a newly organized Bargaining Unit.
R 91.01.16 R 00.06.01 R 07.07.12 R 00.06.01R 00.06.01 R 97.11.16
I believe in electing the committee, as was done with the approval of the Convention and the Bargaining Committee was set in accordance with this clause by the Bargaining Unit, there is nothing in the clause that says you can remove a member because they are no longer a delegate.
I would also refer you to the following clause in the policy NOMINATIONS and ELECTIONS
D) The Bargaining Committee for the TELUS Bargaining Unit shall consist of the
President, a minimum of three (3) members of Executive Council and a minimum of
six (6) Convention Delegates nominated and elected by Delegates of that Bargaining
Unit. Any increase to these numbers shall be included on the Agenda that is put
forward by Executive Council and approved by Convention.
I note there is not any provision for the removal of a member once elected. So as you can see the removal of any duly elected member of the bargaining committee, in fact, violates the Policies and the Constitution, which I might remind you that you swore to uphold as part of your initiation in February of 2010 after being elected by the same convention.
The actions taken by the Union to remove the member from Bargaining Committee constitutes Harassment under the TWU Harassment policy, Article 2.2
b. Denies the right to representation, or to represent.
c. Detrimentally affects members within the Union Organization.
I would expect that you would consider all of the above
It would be in the best interest of the Union and the members that the duly elected member of the Bargaining Committee, be returned to the Committee and that no Vacancy be declared.
Democracy is the soul of this union and democracy elected the Bargaining Committee. It is not the will of one person that should decide who gets to sit and who doesn’t! Convention spoke, you are obligated, in your position to follow and implement the decisions of Convention as per the Constitution.
Ronald Palmer
President Local 207-Edmonton
Telecommunications Worker’s Union

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:24 pm

followed by a long period of silence from Union Headquarters.....

TWwho?

Return to “General Discussion”