Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

how long does it take???

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:50 pm

That's a good example green, the TWU has no interest in getting a CA, I think they are much more concerned about their salaries.

Has nayone heard any comment about it form work or the Pro-Union TWU site. Not sure but it used to be called VFCert - it has been a while for me.

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:58 pm

Has nayone heard any comment about it form work
Do to Canada's ridiculous laws it would be illegal for TELUS to say anything at all about it. So nope, they're not saying a word. Only the TWU is allowed to talk, and they don't want their paid vacation to end.

If Canada's laws were sane, both sides would be allowed to talk, and the TWU would be legally required to keep all members informed.

dogoneIT
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Rumour Has It

Postby dogoneIT » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Hearing rumours that its going to be 2,2 and 2% for 3 years
Some concessions for twu but otherwise status quo
Bargaining to end last week second quarter (June) post twu convention not before
Contents to come out at actual ratification vote not before
Sources seem reliable enough but you never really know so take it for what it's worth

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:20 am

Seems like there will be another 6-12 months of bargaining while the comittee and ba's stuff their pockets with even more of our hard earned money. In the end the company is going to cut back hard, so why not just do it and get it over with? Bargaining like this is just like the last time...those involved in the bargaining don't want it to end!!!

Good Day. This is the TWU Hotline recorded on Friday, February 11, 2011.

Bargaining Update #19

Your Bargaining Committee has been meeting face-to-face with the Company three days a week since January 11, 2011; additional days have been added when possible.

The parties are in agreement that the number of appendices will be reduced from the current eight appendices (four in Western Canada and four in Eastern Canada). However, the final number of appendices has yet to be agreed upon.

Importantly, the agreement on structure allows the parties to move onto the resolution of specific proposals and how they will apply to each appendix. The Union and the Company have initialed a small number of agreements on specific articles.

All of this progress depends on an eventual agreement of a finalized complete package. There are still numerous issues of significant importance to the membership that, as of yet, are unresolved. Much work remains to be done.

We will continue to update you as bargaining progresses.

Thank you for calling the TWU Hotline.
Bonjour, voici le message du service d’information de dernière heure du STT enregistré vendredi, le 11 janvier 2011.

Nouvelles sur les négociations – Mise à jour № 19

Votre Comité de négociation tient des réunions en personne avec la Société trois jours par semaine depuis le 11 janvier 2011 ; lorsque possible, des jours supplémentaires sont ajoutés.

Les parties ont convenu de réduire le nombre des huit annexes actuelles (quatre dans l’Ouest du Canada et quatre dans l’Est du Canada). Par contre, le nombre final d’annexes reste encore à être déterminé.

L’entente sur la structure permet surtout aux parties de se concentrer sur le traitement de propositions spécifiques et comment elles s’appliqueront à chaque annexe. Le Syndicat et la Société ont paraphé un petit nombre d’ententes sur des articles spécifiques.

Tous ces progrès dépendent d’une éventuelle entente sur une Convention collective complète et finale. Plusieurs importantes questions pour les membres sont pour l’instant toujours en suspens. Beaucoup de travail reste à faire.

Nous continuerons de vous informer au fur et mesure des progrès sur les négociations.

Nous vous remercions d’avoir appelé le service d’information de dernière heure du STT.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:27 am

In what world is it ok to have issues of signifigant importance to the membership that you refuse to discuss with the membership????

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:28 am

If you were on an "all expenses paid" luxury trip (bargaining) at a high end hotel in Vancouver, would you ever want it to end??
Maybe hit the town for the night life, take in the theatre, fancy restraunts, room service, spas.....oh yes and of course bargaining....

dogoneIT
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby dogoneIT » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:39 pm

I have a tendancy to agree with your thoughts on this one Wimpole.
If we already know what we're getting why draw it out?
Is the company lulling the bargaining team into a false sense of security but planning on soft lockout again?
Or is the union taking lots of time to make it look like they put up a good fight?
Or is the union simply delaying agreement and rat meetings until after convention knowing that the members will be unhappy?
Are we having a repeat experience of the last fiasco?
All good questions
Any answers?

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:59 pm

wtf?? the last 3 hot lines the twu have told us is that we can go to rallies in Toronto or Surrey B.C. but nowhere do they tell us what is going on in bargaining! And we can attend those rallies on our own hook because, Lord knows, we have to save money!! (While they are staying in hotels and getting pampered up the ying yang!) When is enough enough. You can't get anyone to give a s**t anymore. They should all be exposed. Why hasn't the Pres asked to see everyone's cell phone bills (for eg.) Are we being led by cowards? Where is the money going??

corwin1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby corwin1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:57 am

I see a lot of speculation in this thread. I for one have always believed that if you don't like the way things are working out, you can either move on or get involved.
I'm not advocating that the TWU is the most effective Union. I'm also not suggesting that there aren't a list of problems that the Executive is facing.

Bottom line is we need change. I for one see that the biggest problem this Union faces is apathy. People whine and complain about the things that are not being addressed by Executive council, yet they do little about it.
One individual posted here that the turn out at meetings is proof of a somewhat silent decertification. Again this is apathy.

What makes anyone here think that decertification is going to solve any of these problems?

Every Union has issues. Some bigger than others.

I agree that many aspects of this Union need to be changed, but a call to decertify is nothing short of idiotic. That would only serve to strengthen the company's resolve to lower wages, contract out more work and clean house by firing many employees.

I recommend that anyone here that is unhappy with the current state of affairs, to get involved. Become a shop steward, get elected to committees, run for business agent.

I too am troubled by many of the actions that the current EC has allowed to transpire. I for one believe this tenative agreement that is now in place is an absolute pile of crap. I can't entirely blame the Union for it, but I am certainly going to voice my concerns at ratification meetings and in turn vote to reject it in its current form. Democracy only works if one chooses to participate.

You are the Union

Wake up people! Democracy is dying!

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:55 am

See there you go! Already assuming that members of this site are not already shop stewards or executives of their own locals. Again calling peoples ideas "idiotic" is what you say as a newbie here. Instead of being a twu shill maybe you should ask the members that are paying the ridiculous legal bills, junkets, bargaining (fancy hotels, great big per diems, etc). No one from the twu executive or local exec. has dared come to the shop floor and ask any questions. They just keep their heads down and keep very quiet. Then, voila, they're off on some "union business". That's a great catch all phrase. And we pay for it. Do you think we don't know bulls**t when we smell and see it?

corwin1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby corwin1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:46 am

See there you go! Already assuming that members of this site are not already shop stewards or executives of their own locals. Again calling peoples ideas "idiotic" is what you say as a newbie here. Instead of being a twu shill maybe you should ask the members that are paying the ridiculous legal bills, junkets, bargaining (fancy hotels, great big per diems, etc). No one from the twu executive or local exec. has dared come to the shop floor and ask any questions. They just keep their heads down and keep very quiet. Then, voila, they're off on some "union business". That's a great catch all phrase. And we pay for it. Do you think we don't know bulls**t when we smell and see it?
I made no such assumption. I was merely trying to point out that decertifying is not the answer. You can't fix the problem by ignoring it. all Unions have their issues and I'll be the first one to agree that sometimes mistakes are made.
I know a great deal of the members on the executive council and know for a fact that many of them are honest people just trying their best. There are a few however that need a good smack.
My point being is if you think you can do a better job, get involved, voice you concerns, facilitate change.

Oh and by the way this "newbie" as you refer to me as, has been a shop steward/councilor for 10 years.

Additionally, if you think that funds are being improperly spent, run for a position on the Finance committee or better yet take a trip out to the head office and have a look at the financials yourself. They are available as a matter of public record to anyone who pays dues.

Wake up people! Democracy is dying!

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:38 am

I made no such assumption. I was merely trying to point out that decertifying is not the answer. You can't fix the problem by ignoring it. all Unions have their issues and I'll be the first one to agree that sometimes mistakes are made.
You contradict yourself. Decertifying IS fixing the problem. tou say all unions have their issues, so clearly to fix the problem you must get rid of the union. decertifying is NOT ignoring an issue, it is a LOT of work, sort of the opposite of ignoring it.

Ignoring the issue would be continuing blindly along the union path, knowing that unions cause problems, but continuing to accept their problems without ever doing anything to stop them.
My point being is if you think you can do a better job, get involved, voice you concerns, facilitate change.
Some of us are. Just because our change isn't the change you want doesn't invalidate it. In fact I would argue that you are the one arguing for the status quo, not for change.
Oh and by the way this "newbie" as you refer to me as, has been a shop steward/councilor for 10 years.
That much we could have guessed. Nobody who isn't that deep in to a union is as rabid pro-union as you are. those of us who haven't been drinking the kool-aid have a much more objective view of the blatant abuses of the unions.
Additionally, if you think that funds are being improperly spent, run for a position on the Finance committee or better yet take a trip out to the head office and have a look at the financials yourself. They are available as a matter of public record to anyone who pays dues.
The union has repeatedly failed to provide those records in sufficient detail to figure out what is actually happening. Beyond that, I have a much better way of spending all the funds. STOP. don't collect forced protection money from unwilling participants, don't violate people's human rights, and let us put the money in our own bank accounts where it belongs!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:03 pm

Thanks for the input Corwin, it's refreshingly received but I concur with green. By the time the TWU is reformed and effective, a lot more abuse is likley to have occured.

The union formula needs to be revamped for a modern world. The European model is more workable, but no Canadian union will give up the right to forced dues. There's nothing stopping them from writing it into a CA but none would because they would lose far too much money, so here we stand staring at the "business model" union until one of them steps into the future.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “General Discussion”