Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Decertify TWU

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I have a bit more time now, that last post was on the fly.

So, we have this thing: forms/twu_telus_collective_agreement.pdf But it says the CA expired Nov 19, 2010?!

So, what happens if the CA has expired? I would expect it to be the same as if the CA was for 3 years, anytime after it expires.

I put an email in to JJ.

Here's the Federal Decertification Instructions

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:36 pm

NC: Unfortunately the fact that item "d" exists on the original list proves that an expired collective agreement won't allow you to decertify UNLESS the agreement that expired was for less than 3 years. Unfortunately unions know this, so they always push for 5 year agreements.

green1: most members that wanted out of the union and made their managers well aware of their willingness to go on the company plan (so far) has been given management professional status or supervisor jobs..
The company can't "give management professional status" only the union can do that. All the company can do is give you a different job within the company, one that isn't within the collective agreement.

The company has offered me management jobs many times. I have turned them down every time. I don't want a different job within the company, I like the one I have now, and I refuse to abandon it just because of a union.

What part of "I like my job" don't you union shills understand? I don't want a different job. I like the one I have, and I plan to keep it. If that's inconvenient for the union... well they should have thought of that before they violated my human rights.

I am not running away from the union, I have never run away from intimidation and I never will.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:28 pm

You may just get your wish. The company, as we speak, is toying with the idea of making certain techs into management professionals. X you fingers.

hawk
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby hawk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:21 am

So did you guys have the same views when the IBEW or what ever union trampling your human rights before the Telus and Bctel merger.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 am

The IBEW charged us much less and provided much more value. However yes, I feel the same way about any organization that I am forced to pay money to for services I don't want or need.

It is no different from mafia protection money, only due to amazing lobbying efforts they have managed to have it coded in to law.

hawk
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby hawk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Well get over it thats the law in this country, if you don't like it get it changed or maybe move to Wisconsin I'm sure Gov. Walker would welcome you with open arms.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:18 pm

It's the law, but it is unconstitutional, and we are close to the only country in the world with such inhumane laws still on our books.

As for your american comparisson, even the most pro-union of the US states don't force you to pay dues that don't go directly to collective bargaining...

hawk
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby hawk » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:18 pm

Do you just make things up as you go along. Of course they collect money for all types of things from political contributions to legal actions to picnics that statement is ridicules!!

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:25 pm

Look it up. The US isn't nearly as pro-union as Canada. We're currently one of the last remaining backwaters of the world when it comes to workers rights. Hopefully our government will fix that soon and stop these human rights abuses.

hawk
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby hawk » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:16 am

Again if you don't like it move on I'm sure Gov. Walker in Wisconsin would appreciate your views. But judging by the number of people that post on this site you don't have that much support here.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 am

hawk; everyone is welcome here. We don't ask people to "move on"because we don't agree with their point of view. That is just childish. You have been here a short while. Obviously you aren't happy with opposition. That is what this forum is about. This is a forum of debate. Join in but "get over it" and the "move on" statements accomplish nothing.

hawk
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby hawk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 pm

I'm sorry if I hurt someones feels, didn't know people were so sensitive. Just assumed that if I can be called a TWU 'shill' and someone that that doesn't know the history or hadn't been around long enough to appreciate the union. I've been around the TWU and its predecessor The Federation of Telephone workers for just shy of 40 years and yes I've seen the ups and downs but at no time would I ever whine that the union was oppressing me or my fellow workers. The fact is that the union has in that time brought the members better conditions and pay then would ever been offered by Telus or BCTel. Our down fall started when the company and union moved across the rockies to areas that are unquestionably more self centered. I am only glad to see that company has no more respect for these individuals then for the unions and is contracting an laying them off with the same thoughtless abandon. I look forward to Telus having to eat its words as it has to scramble to rebuild what it had here in Canada.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:57 pm

Laying us off? I think you're a few years behind... We're in a massive hiring spree right now.

I'm not brand new, I've been around a while now, I know my history, and I know what TELUS is offering, and what the union is taking away.

As for self centred, that's funny coming from a union shill.

hawk
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby hawk » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:43 pm

Ok enlighten us what does Telus offer and the union take away. As for the hirinig spree I'm not seeing it exept for a few people they had to entice back after forcing them to retire and then finding out India couldn't do the job or some things couldn't be moved over seas there was a scramble to get people back.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:48 pm

Ok enlighten us what does Telus offer and the union take away.
Right now the company takes care of it's employees, both union and non-union very well. The fact that the non-union people enjoy better benefits, and better pay proves that the part holding us back is not the company, but the union. Several of the things the non-union people have that the unionized people don't have were offered by the company and specifically rejected by the union. (bonuses for better performance, more flexible benefits, double time for all overtime for clerical positions)
As for the hiring spree, we've added 22 service technicians in Calgary I&R alone so far this year, as part of a very large number being hired across all of Alberta (don't know about BC, but I suspect it's the same story there) we've added 400 positions to Canadian call centres, and are generally just ramping up everywhere, you can see more of the long list of positions being hired right now on the TELUS website under the careers section

Return to “General Discussion”