Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Decertify TWU

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:55 pm

Corwin, to provide you with some context:

Europen Convention on Human Rights (Canada is a signer)
ARTICLE 11
Everyone has the right to freedom of peaceful assembly and to freedom of association with others, including the right to form and to join trade unions for the protection of his interests.
No restrictions shall be placed on the exercise of these rights other than such as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society in the interests of national security or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals or for the protection of the rights and freedoms of others. this article shall not prevent the imposition of lawful restrictions on the exercise of these rights by members of the armed forces, of the police or of the administration of the State.
In Europe it was decided by 3 different decisions that this right (association) had a natural extension that if there is a right to association there is a right to non-association. This one explains it in a fairly straight forward way.

Young, James & Webster

Unions in Canada think this is wrong, they (and most Labour Boards in the country) think that unions are the best and only solution, and that forcing association, and more importantly, paying for this "honour" is a requirement.

The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms states:
2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:
a) freedom of conscience and religion;
b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication;
c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
d) freedom of association.
Now, we too have the perceived right to non-association but, to digress, the Supreme Court of Canada felt that in Quebec Advance Cutting & Coring unions were SO corrupt and SO dangerous and SO powerful that the Quebec Polilce could not enforce the rule of law, so they imposed Section 1 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, which says:
1. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms guarantees the rights and freedoms set out in it subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society.
This is NOT a Quebec decision, it was the Supreme Court of Canada. It is not, as you say "unique, to say the least." It is a ruling against of all Canadians rights. Corruption, violence and intimidation should be met with force and crushed, not pandered to.

Corwin, you are telling green, and other readers that if you do not like the union, you should get another job. green is saying that he likes his job and if given a chance or success would decertify it. He has as much right to decertify a union as you do to certify one. He is also lucky that he is not in BC because such statements can lead to being fired by the "Security Clause" in the collective agreement. Federally he is safe.

As for forced dues, have you every read Rand's decision, the one that started the whole forced dues issue? Rand said that his decision was not for general applicaiton but only for the Ford dispute.

Do you want anything more in regard to "proof"?

I am tired of typing now but will happily explain or prove union abuse of power and misuse of dues that would like to hear. I am always happy for a reason to republish all this stuff.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Find - Desiderata - read it

corwin1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby corwin1 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:52 am

As I mentioned in a previous post, the Company was just as responsible for your reclassification as the Union was, they both had to agree on the reclassification.
was the company also responsible for all the quebec people being unionized without a vote? You know, despite the company fighting the application in court?
You like working at Telus but you know it's a unionized workforce and it has been for decades. You complain about it yet instead of moving on to one of these other jobs you have been offered, you stick around and blame the Union. If your job used to be management or exempt, why haven't you made every attempt at going back to a similar position? Telus management loves anti-Union people and by the sounds of it you are in their favour so I am actually quite surprised that they haven't tried to bring you back into the fold.
I don't know why I bother, you just don't grasp this point... I LIKE MY JOB. Not another job, the one I do every single work day. Not one at a different company, not a different one in the same company MY job. Is that really such a foreign concept to union shills that they just can't begin to wrap their mind around it?
To address your point about the forced unionization, you have a lot to learn if you think that that situation is anything close to the norm in organized labour
Tell that to the Lively seven, the Quebec TELUS employees, and the thousands upon thousands of people forced to pay dues to organizations they want no part in.
Unlike the situation in Quebec, you are not being forced into a Union and you have the right to choose because ultimately you must choose.
No, I can't choose. I have to pay extortion money to an organization that I want no part in, and who actively works against my best interest at all times, an organization which has threatened to sue me, threatened physical violence against me, and actively violated canadian law to prevent me from having any say.
You are one of those people, IMHO, that would rather force others to change, rather than change yourself.

To be honest I have my issues with the TWU as well. I'm no stranger to conflict when it comes to politics. This Union needs a good smack but I'm willing to endure until I can help facilitate change that will make worklife easier for all employees, not just the unionized ones.
You state you have issues, but instead of acting you simply hope they will improve.
At least I am doing something about it. You don't have to like what im doing, but im not sitting idly by while my rights are violated.
You are clearly a person that simply hasn't got the faculty to understand what I am trying to say nor understand the facts that I have provided you. I'm not going to try to continue a discussion with someone who is not listening. I have no patience for people who complain and whine and do little or nothing to improve their circumstances. It's people like you who drag the rest of us (unionized or not) down.
Have fun in your little world, wherever that may be because it certainly isn't planet Earth. Bye!

Wake up people! Democracy is dying!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun May 01, 2011 9:51 pm

We fear most in others that which we see in ourselves.

Wow Corwin, I had hoped you had a bit more intelligence and fortitiude than you have shown. You come here, troll and bit, and leave.

You tried to present a a point of view, an opinion, heard the other side which made you feel bested so you hurl an insult and run from the room.

I had some hope that you might actually provide some intelligent discourse and instead you showed yourself to be the typical union machine head that will hear no other point than your own.

I spent so much time writing that discourse and Corwin went all Sir Robin on us... shame.
Last edited by NC on Sun May 01, 2011 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Find - Desiderata - read it

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Mon May 23, 2011 9:50 am

gonna miss him (snif)

TWwho?

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:10 am

her?

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:54 pm

Sorry. Was fooled by the lumberjack shirt.

TWwho?

Return to “General Discussion”