Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

This is the way the twu bargains.

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

This is the way the twu bargains.

Postby wimpole1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:07 am

Is this John Carpenter arrogant or what?
This is right on "Invitation to TWU Bargaining Committee" on Facebook
Nothing has changed. The attitude is the same. We have still heard nothing!!

Kody Sebastian Keir Sippel
Hello John, I have read the bulletin posted and signed by yourself and Tamara. I would like to take the opportunity to make you aware that those who were not registered with the site before the COPE incident are left in a conversational black hole where there access and ability to ask questions is limited.

I find your outright refusal to state the issues of bargaining that are currently in contention disconcerting. I must also state that until a clarification of the facts is made it is my honour to support a fellow union even if the support is against my own union. As the facts are currently stated I consciously can not sit by while an employer seemingly acts anti-socially to a union. I must also state that it is the full right of the executive to remain silent and to keep secrets.

Your assertion of "...lot of rumour, misinformation, and inaccurate information floating around out there" has been repeated several times but not backed with evidence of such. Until such evidence is presented, one can only assume that this allegation is false.

Checks and Balances Mr. Carpenter, a democracy cannot survive without it. A free unbiased media would be appreciated, but I will take what is available, and that's the way it is.
over a year ago
Discussion BoardTopic ViewTopic: Invitation to TWU Bargaining Committee
Displaying all 6 posts.

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Not sure what the COPE issue has to do with the current bargaining situation. COPE is old news by now isn't it? Or am I missing something that connects the issues.

Sammy

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:11 pm

It is an old issue that is still carrying on. Do you think it has all been resolved? It is only irrelevant to those who think the way the twu treats its own employees is in any way different than what they think about the membership at large. Who do you think they a bargaining for? Us? Ha!
They're just lining their own pockets at our expense. They're not cashing in you think? Think again.

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 am

I understand your point of view regarding how the TWU treated their own employees who are members of COPE. Haven't heard whether that grievance was ever resolved or whether its still outstanding.
As far as I know, John Carpenter isn't on the bargaining team. Although I suppose one could argue that the attitude towards their workers permeates everything the TWU does, just as the level of apathy among most of the bargaining unit permeates the work force as it views the union. I'm not expecting anything much out of the new collective agreement, just want to have it resolved. What amazes me is the amount of infighting within the TWU executive, as they all continue to battle and sue each other. It must be a horrible place to come to work if you don't align with whatever the party line is.

Sammy

sammy
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby sammy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:51 pm

Wimpole, looks like your wishes have come true. TWU bargaining update indicates the union and company positions on at least some of the issues. Now we know what's been taking so long....I guess. Interesting reading.

Sammy

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:15 am

It is quite lengthy but here is the link:
http://www.twu-stt.ca/en/bargaining-upd ... ril-5-2011

Do you see anything on there that is a strike issue? It's taken 46 meetings and now more? If they brought this to the membership with a raise, it would be a done deal. How much longer are they going to horse around? What a gig!!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:59 am

These things tend to disappear from the TWU site so I have added it here for our readers.

forms/TWU_Bargaining_Update_21_April_2011.pdf

Find - Desiderata - read it

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:15 am

Darren wants this agreement signed by April 15th. Is that possible? All he has to do is have his people give the agreement directly to the members (who's going to stop him?) and say "this is it". Then the members vote and it's all over. Let's hope it happens so we can all get on with our lives. The twu exec should just go home. They've fleeced us enough.

Stewie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Stewie » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:04 am

This is a done deal.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 am

And here you have it:

Telus reaches tentative contract with TWU

By THE CANADIAN PRESS
Mon, Apr 11 - 10:16 AM

VANCOUVER — Telus announced Monday that it has reached a tentative contract agreement with the Telecommunications Workers Union covering approximately 12,100 employees nationally.
No details of the agreement were made public. However, the TWU said it will recommend acceptance of the pact when it is put to the union membership for a vote in the coming weeks.

``We are pleased with the successful talks we have had in partnership with the TWU,'' Telus president and DEO Darren Entwistle said in a release.

``We believe this is a progressive agreement that effectively balances the needs of our customers, our team members and our investors.''

Telus is one of Canada's leading telecommunications companies, with $9.8 billion of annual revenue. Its 12.3 million customer connections include seven million wireless subscribers, 3.7 million wireline network access lines, 1.2 million Internet subscribers and more than 300,000 Telus TV customers.

Why didn't the union just roll over 46 meetings ago? We all knew exactly what was going on. Lining their pockets! This isn't over. Not by a long shot! Wasn't that brave for the union to recommend that we accept it?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:37 am

well... being that we still don't know even a single thing that is IN this proposed contract, we have no way of knowing if it's good or not, nor do we have any way of knowing if those 46 meetings were important or not...

The bargaining committee should be ashamed of itself acting like this in a supposedly democratic organization!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:01 pm

...as lamb to slaughter.

Hope it's good for you folks.

Find - Desiderata - read it

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:56 pm

sounds like the fix was in from early on.

TWwho?

corwin1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby corwin1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:11 am

hopefully members will actually read this agreement before voting. There are some serious issues that have not been addressed. It appears that the TWU bargaining committee has once again rolled over for Darren.

In a nutshell:

Pay increases don't even cover inflation

4 year agreement rather than a standard 2 or 3 year (North american standard is 3 years)

No language to protect jobs (Seniority clause)

nothing addressing contracting out

[/list]

Wake up people! Democracy is dying!

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:58 pm

3 year contracts allow members opportunities to decertify, that is why we'll never have one that short.

As for reading the contract... we'd have to SEE the contract first!

Return to “General Discussion”