Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

How fast these things hit the shop floor

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

How fast these things hit the shop floor

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:16 am

Date: Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 2:17 PM
Subject: Memo to: All TWU Local Executive Members, Subject: Call for Special Convention
To: George Doubt <george.doubt@twu-stt.ca>, TWU Table Officers <table.officers@twu-stt.ca>, executive council <executive.council@twu-stt.ca>

Memo to: All TWU Local Executive Members

Subject: Call for Special Convention

This memo is written to you to provide further clarification on why Local 203 has sponsored the call for a Special Convention for May 1st, 2011 re: Internal Conflict at the TWU. This in no way means that a recall can or will happen at the special conventions, as per the constitution there are processes in place to support recall, and signing a petition for a special convention does not mean consent to recall any officer of the union.

Although I do not claim to speak on behalf of everyone who supports the Special Convention, I would like to relay some of the concerns that have been forwarded to me in discussions with other TWU-STT activists:

· Infighting among the officers and the cost associated with these skirmishes (conservative estimates put this somewhere between $ 1/2 million and $700k; examples Anderson, and Hackett litigation)

· Lack of trust and confidence between EC and locals due to secrecy of bargaining and lack of meaningful input from locals, professionals, and members of EC in the administration and operation of the union and bargaining

· Conflict between TWU-STT and COPE (examples: lockout of staff and lay-offs)

· Conflict between TWU-STT and labour community (examples: cutting off labour council dues and booking non-union facilities).

· Potential conflict between the TWU-STT and TELUS (re: public awareness video and associated costs)

· The dissolution of Solidarity/Tactical committee and impact on bargaining preparedness

· The termination of the Membership Outreach Program and its impact on Solidarity

· The impact of the conflicts and associated costs on bargaining.

· The use of 1-2 million dollars of strike fund savings to update the Lane Street building and its potential impact.

Although the above is not an exhaustive list of concerns that have been expressed, many activists believe the union is at a critical point and that these issues need to be addressed immediately before further negative impacts are realized. We realize that there will be an additional cost associated with an early start to Convention but we are far more concerned about what price could be paid (by all of the membership) if these issues are not addressed before more harm occurs. We are, as members may no doubt realize, about to face some serious challenges and we simply cannot continue with the current state of affairs.

I would also like to state that other delegates including myself have expressed that we are more than willing to waive the in-lieu of wages and per diem for that day as this is such an important issue, and perhaps others are as well in order to save costs to the union. This is in no way is a requirement but something to think about.

I hope this provides clarification on the issues of concern and I ask you all to join in coming together to address these concerns and find appropriate resolves for the benefit of all of the members.

In Solidarity,
Bonnie Devine
President Local 203

--

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication (including all attachments) is confidential and is intended for the use of the named addressee(s) only, and may contain information that is private, confidential, privileged, and exempt from disclosure under law. All rights to privilege are expressly

claimed and reserved and are not waived. Any use,dissemination,
distribution, copying or disclosure of this message and any attachments, in whole or in part, by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error; please notify

If more than one person knows a secret, it isn't a secret any more.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:03 pm

Is it possible for me to get a french version of thiis for our new French sister site? I owuld lik ethe STT folks to have acces too. Even a link to the STT site would be good.

Find - Desiderata - read it

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:00 am

There was no French version sent.
This was sent under the heading "UNION BUSTED!" It was evidently posted on the VFCERT site. Do you think the members on that site are scratching their heads about getting sucked in by the scum that they all worked hard to get into power? They were all so self important. So much for the proud 66.
Finian:
I’m not going to post the decision in its entirety but I will quote it and comment on it. Most of the members of the TWU have seen or have access to the decision:http://finiansworld.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... ision.html

Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:12 am

Kronix
This says so much about "Landslide George" and the rest of his a**-worshiping-rim-jobbers.

Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:04 pm
twinkletoes
Quoting Finian:
"You can’t get any clearer than that. Sherryl was never terminated from working at TELUS. As an employee at TELUS she is still entitled to run for office. Page 24 of the Ready decision states:

“I find that high-handed conduct is a good description for the way in which Doubt and other members of the Executive Council acting on behalf of the TWU blocked Anderson’s right to a fair hearing. .. the physical and mental distress Anderson experienced as a result of the Decision of Final Resolve was prolonged and worsened by the continuing injustice perpetuated against her.â€

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Is it possible the request for a special convention has been denied? Has the executive (george,tamara,betty,john, etc...) decided not to put it out to all convention delegates? Who knows? Maybe someone can enlighten us.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:17 pm

I want a copy of that decision... anyone?

nc@labourtalk.org

I will make sure it is squeaky clean if I post it.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:18 am

Thank you...

Anderson v Doubt & TWU

...enjoy.
The TWU will pay to Anderson:
1. nominal damages in the amount of $1,000.00 for breach of contract;
2. $100,000.00 in tort and aggravated damages;
3. $25,000.00 in punitive damages; and
4. all of her actual legal costs associated with this matter.
Your TWU dues at work.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:51 pm

I think the TWU should sue the executive to re-coup those expenses... after all, it wasn't the dues paying members who wronged Anderson, it was the executive.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:15 am

That would never fly, and I agree it would be a nice thing to see but in the eyes of the Labour Board I suspect that because you are all in a "collective" you cannot sue yourself. The action will have been supported by some sort of vote that met your union's constitution or By-laws.

I would so love to see you guys all working union-free, reward people for their worth, not their length of term in office. The TWU could work, but the executive is just too powerful, no matter who holds office.

Alas, that's how unionization works in Canada.

Return to “General Discussion”