Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Hmmm, so the twu leadership has no credibility!

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Hmmm, so the twu leadership has no credibility!

Postby wimpole1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:46 pm

Merger
Posted 2013-Nov-15
The official results of the vote in respect of the tentative merger agreement between the Telecommunications Workers Union (TWU) with the United Steelworkers (USW) were:

Eligible ballots cast: 4,294

Votes in support of merger agreement: 2,766

Votes not in support of merger agreement: 1,528

Our nationwide, rank-and-file vote was conducted by electronic ballot over the last two weeks. Final results were released this afternoon after being validated by an independent auditor. The level of support was 64.41%.

Despite the strong majority support by TWU members, the merger will not proceed due to our constitution’s requirements that a merger be endorsed by 66 2/3% of voting members.

“A solid majority of our members support the merger agreement, but our constitution is clear,” said TWU President Lee Riggs.

“We did our best to ensure a truly democratic process, with unprecedented consultation and engagement of our members at all levels of our union,” Riggs said. “It was a productive, dynamic and worthwhile process that will serve us well as we work together to face the challenges ahead. We remain concerned about some of the misinformation that was circulated during the campaign.”

“We will maintain our close strategic alliance with the USW, our bonds of solidarity and our support for a better future for all of our members across Canada,” said Riggs.

The TWU and USW have shared a strategic alliance since 2010. In August of this year our unions reached a tentative merger agreement, which was followed by two months of consultation with TWU members and a rank-and-file vote held over the last two weeks.

“Our work over the last few months has helped build a stronger union, with a more engaged and committed membership,” Riggs said. “The TWU National Executive Council is committed to moving forward in a positive manner and working in the best interests of our members.”

»

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Hmmm, so the twu leadership has no credibility!

Postby NC » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:51 am

Before you chirp at my opinion, keep in mind that to work at Telus you *must* belong to the union, you have no choice.

That said, I take offense at the use of the words "strong majority support by TWU members". I recall that there are about 14,000 TWU members, and of those 2,766 support the motion.

Whose math says %19.8 is a "Strong Majority"?

Find - Desiderata - read it

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 pm

You must be a union member unless you work in India, the Philippines, Nevada, etc., are a manager or a contractor.

The math is puzzling. Could it be that out of all
union members only some 2000 still trust the pres.? He may think they are solid supporters. Could he be listening to his own ego?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:00 pm

You must pay dues, you don't have to be a union member. (us Rand members don't get to vote...) so how many people have actually bothered to sign up?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:45 pm

Green1, you do get to vote on most stuff and from what I can tell, it's the TWU constitution that limits your right to vote on agreement ratifications. That said... I am *not* positive the TWU constitution does limit that vote. Anyone want to chime in on that?

Here's a summary of the legislation on that topic. Vote Provisions Chart - Private Sector Telus is of course "Federal" on this table.

Also, you guys are all union members (of the bargaining unit) because you are paying dues and performing bargaining unit work in Canada. You (green1 specifically) are *not* however Members of the union because you have not signed a union card. As such you are somewhat insulated from union discipline and cannot run for union office. I diferentiate using Member (Card Carrying) and member (BU member).

Is has been a while since I looked at this closely so I reserve the right to be dead wrong. :D

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:38 pm

To avoid confusion I state that I am a member of the bargaining unit, but not a member of the union.

Considering the TWU had no problem whatsoever in illegally barring me from a strike vote, I highly doubt I'd have been allowed to vote on this issue...

I am however impressed that they actually followed their own constitution in conceding defeat on this one though, because I remember an instance when they had another vote requiring 60%, failed to meet it, and went ahead anyway...

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:20 am

Don't you wish you had a buck for everytime a union broke the rules, be it law or internal constitution?

Return to “General Discussion”