Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

What does "subject to subsequent membership approval" mean

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Telecommunications sector.
2008sworks
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster
Employer: U of tT

What does "subject to subsequent membership approval" mean

Postby 2008sworks » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:04 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and would like clarification ,understanding what the following means in union bylaws, constitutions..

"Between membership meetings, the Executive Board shall be the highest authority of the Local Union and shall be empowered to act on behalf of the membership to the extent urgent business requires prompt and decisive action, subject to subsequent membership approval.

In this case what does "subject to subsequent membership approval" mean

Thanking you in advance.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: What does "subject to subsequent membership approval" m

Postby NC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:19 pm

Welcome Sworks... Were I to offer my interpretation I would read this as, "We the executive will be granted the right to seek forgiveness not permission."

I am being tongue-in-cheek but I think the Executive are "languaging" their way through a touchy section that has to say what happens when something urgent comes up and they don't have time to ask the membership. They would/might be in a bad way it the members disagreed, or if said members suggest that the issue was not THAT much of an emergency or the Executive had enacted that clause prematurely or in any way, in bad faith.

I know that union constitutions are seldom read through by the membership and if they were, organizing efforts would be more difficult. Many clauses are written in an ambiguous fashion, whether through ignorance or malice they are then interpreted to the advantage of the writers. This is of course not limited to union constitutions and by-laws but in every day (think political parties) matters.

This practice occurs in the Collective Agreement quite a bit too. Those always make my eye brows go up.

I don't know why you asked the question but it is intriguing, please share if you can.

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: What does "subject to subsequent membership approval" m

Postby NC » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:23 pm

I notice that this language does not seem to be part of the TWU Constitution, correct me if I am wrong, but TWU does not have a "Local Union" for which the "Executive" might have to be empowered, they only have one Local I think.

My point is, I might have to move this post into another area of the site as this one is "Telecommunications" and is so far, exclusively TWU. No harm, no foul but if you can't find this post when you look back here, dig around a bit, it will be somewhere else.

Sworks... can you clarify what industry we might be looking at so we can get this in the right area?

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “General Discussion”