Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Why are The Union Leaders Sabbatoging our Future????

This group moderates their own board. Notify them of any issues. Is job action the wisest choice? What is our objective ?

Moderator: Koot

polecat
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Why are The Union Leaders Sabbatoging our Future????

Postby polecat » Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:48 am

Is it just me or is it kind of like biting the had that feeds you when our union Leaders go out and ask Telus customers to cancel their calling features and go to other service providers? Do they not realize that the majority of people out there will cancel their features or swich their providers and not return? So now we have all of these people jumping ship and a huge loss of revenue for the company, why would the company want to bring all of us back. Sure if you have 20 plus years of service you might make it back, but what of those who are low on the senority food chain? Is this going to cost us our jobs because there wont be as large of a customer base as there was when we went out? There is more competition out there today then there was 5 years ago, let alone 25 years ago. Maybe it is time that our Union executives take some business courses and educate themselves on competition...job security....what is that? I havent had a secure job in the last 20 years and I am still doing all right. Let's get back to the table and discuss a competive contract and keep the competitors out of our neighbourhoods.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:22 am

I agree.but perhaps the union hopes they can have these people transfer back when this is all said and done. They are not taking into consideration most people will go for a deal which usually includes a contract of some length. Maybe they all expect this to go on that long.

polecat
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby polecat » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:45 am

it is not just the lengthy contracts that they are signing....most people dont care to have to go through the whole hassel of switching and then swithching back again...its human nature....there are other important things keeping us busy...and alot of people dont even no what calling features they have and even the ones that do alot of them dont know what they are for they just came with the bundle that our talented csr's have sold them. Do you really think that they will ask for a feature back that they havent even used????

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Tue Sep 06, 2005 11:07 am

i would hope the TWU would make some kind of a plea when this is over. If not we will have to be very creative.

Wwood
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Wwood » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:27 am

i would hope the TWU would make some kind of a plea when this is over. If not we will have to be very creative.
You're damn right we will have to be creative. It only serves to illiustrate how misguided the union is to think that they could ever make a plea for customers to bring back their service and it will just happen.
"OK you can all come back now, we got our deal" "Come on everyone, we are the TWU and we now say bring your services back to Telus".

We can not do new home installs right now. Those people are going to Shaw. Those people are getting Shaw email addresses. Those people are buying cable modems, and setting up routers in their homes. They are not going to switch back because of anything short of Shaw messing up terribly and so far they have not had much of a track record of doing that!
OMG. THIS IS NOT 1980 ANYMORE. WE HAVE SERIOUS COMPETITORS THAT WOULD LOVE TO BREAK OUR COMPANY.

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:53 am

Just got a TELUS cell phone for my daughter.

Doing my part......

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:28 pm

TELUS is doing its part to lose customers. How come a new ld subscriber can get a whole lot better deal than an existing, long-time customer? How come a customer can't change to a new and better cell package until the existing subscription expires? Just two examples. The competition is fierce out there yet TELUS appears unprepared to change their policies and show some concern for existing customers. Been to Shaw for their high speed until TELUS finally brought in DSL in our neighbourhood. At this point in time I have all my telco services with TELUS (retired employee loyalty) but that will quickly change if they break the union and shaft all my friends that still work there. I know I'm just one customer but I'm sure there are lots of others out there.

The request by the TWU is designed to put temporary financial pressure on TELUS. I can tell you in no uncertain terms that the TWU has always encouraged their members to 'shop at home' and would do the same if a fair negotiated settlement is reached.

boob
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby boob » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:53 pm

goatdancer it is their company not yours, if they loose their own customers ok. they are at fault, but you have no business doing it for them and it means our jobs that you say you care about. You are loosing our jobs! you are an EMPLOYEE and you applied for the job.

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:19 pm

boob

I am not an employee, please read the entire post carefully. I am just a customer now. This is a customer perspective. When a company treats a longtime customer badly, the customer will leave. I am not trying to lose work for any of my friends. You say its ok for the company to lose their own customers due to their own unwillingness to be proactive? Doesn't sound like good business sense to me. And doesn't sound like it will help stem job losses just because they do it to themselves. I sincerely hope that this BS is over very soon and instead of job losses there will be growth. The younger generations need good jobs too.

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:32 pm

boob

I am not an employee, please read the entire post carefully. I am just a customer now. This is a customer perspective. When a company treats a longtime customer badly, the customer will leave. I am not trying to lose work for any of my friends. You say its ok for the company to lose their own customers due to their own unwillingness to be proactive? Doesn't sound like good business sense to me. And doesn't sound like it will help stem job losses just because they do it to themselves. I sincerely hope that this BS is over very soon and instead of job losses there will be growth. The younger generations need good jobs too.
boob stated that IF they lost their own customers, then that is their own fault. No, it doesn't make good business sense, that's why the company is not trying to lose its customers. However, the union, which is supposed to be supporting the company in order to further its own agenda, IS trying to make customers leave the company. That is wrong.

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:40 am

JD

'if they loose their own customers ok. they are at fault.' Boob's comment.

'You say its ok for the company to lose their own customers due to their own unwillingness to be proactive?' My comment.

I understood boob's statement to mean that it was ok by him if they lost their own customers. As I see the comment now, maybe the punctuation marks didn't indicate the actual sentiment of the message. I just took it at face value. My original post cited two examples of concern that would cause loss of business. TELUS's refusal to address such issues would indicate that they aren't concerned about losing customers.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:22 pm

Of course Telus is concerned about losing customers. However they have had to accept that there will be some fallout from the labour disruption.

I expect that Telus is focusing a lot of attention on business customers and the bigger the more bandwidth. Many residential customers are a net loss dollar wise anyway.

Tough call for Telus to make but they have been placed in that position. However they are inproving their communicaitons position with new call centres...... so they can at least phone and apologise...

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:15 pm

Pretty sad when the residential customers are considered a net loss dollar wise. If a land line customer gets poed at the testment they get, who will they go to for a cell phone or ld or high speed internet? That amounts to big money loss. If TELUS is only interested in big business, then all the ads to entice John Q Public are just lies.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:46 pm

I believe that Telus does care about all of their customers large and small. They have had to accept that something was going to give with the labour action. Unfortunatly local subs had to take it on the chin this time.....

Wwood
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Wwood » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:08 pm

I respectfully suggest that anyone who thinks TELUS does not care about individual consumer customers is just plain wrong. Virtually all of Telus advertising is aimed at the consumer, versus the business. After all businesses are made up of consumers anyway. Get them at home, treat them well and you have a much better chance to get and keep them at work.
ADSL, POTS, Telus TV, mobility, all of the addon extras, music, games, ringtones..... are all aimed primarily at the consumer.

From a distance you look like my friend, even though we are at war.
From a distance I just cannot comprehend what all this fighting is for. Bette Midler

Return to “Union Members for Democracy”