Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Can the company issue an ultimatum?

This group moderates their own board. Notify them of any issues. Is job action the wisest choice? What is our objective ?

Moderator: Koot

Ikke

Can the company issue an ultimatum?

Postby Ikke » Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:54 pm

:!: Two years ago one of our members, who used to be a plant councilor, very knowladgeble in labour law, informed us that he had gone to the Union head office in Burnaby and laid out a series of events, he expected to happen. Although they did listen to him his advice was ignored.
He explained the steps to us at our local Union meeting. Very scary, especially because all the steps so far have come true.!
One of the steps was that the company would be legally in a position to impose any contract they wanted. Exactly what happened. Also his advice to the Union Executive was not to go the route of the courts and the CIRB.
Another one of the steps he informed us the company legally could take is even more worrying. :!: According to him, the company may have the legal right to issue an ultimatum to us. " Any one wishing to come to work is more than welcome, any one not wishing to come to work will be deemed as to have resigned their employment.
If the company would take that step, which I think is the next logical move on their part, what would we do? Have faith in the Union that somehow the court approach will call the company back? We all know that is an incredible risky approach. Going to court is a very big gamble and the Union's track record is not great

Is there any one out there who has more thoughts on this scenario?

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: Can the company issue an ultimatum?

Postby !(a.scab) » Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:51 am

:!: Two years ago one of our members, who used to be a plant councilor, very knowladgeble in labour law, informed us that he had gone to the Union head office in Burnaby and laid out a series of events, he expected to happen. Although they did listen to him his advice was ignored.
He explained the steps to us at our local Union meeting. Very scary, especially because all the steps so far have come true.!
One of the steps was that the company would be legally in a position to impose any contract they wanted. Exactly what happened. Also his advice to the Union Executive was not to go the route of the courts and the CIRB.
Another one of the steps he informed us the company legally could take is even more worrying. :!: According to him, the company may have the legal right to issue an ultimatum to us. " Any one wishing to come to work is more than welcome, any one not wishing to come to work will be deemed as to have resigned their employment.
If the company would take that step, which I think is the next logical move on their part, what would we do? Have faith in the Union that somehow the court approach will call the company back? We all know that is an incredible risky approach. Going to court is a very big gamble and the Union's track record is not great

While your story is entirely circumstancial and reads more like an urban legend than reality, (sound like a part Jeff Goldblum should play... the frantic scientist running into the executive office with the proof of impending doom, but nobody will believe him!),
I must admit that there appears to be some merrit behind the 'next step' speculation... Darren already has said that by the end of September, when they have Alberta back to 100% operating capacity, they're done with offers in Alberta and they open the doors in BC. Once they're confident that B.C. is at operational capacity, all the offers are off the tabe save one: The final offer. Vote on it, or tender your resignation because the company is now operating just fine without you.

Ikke

Postby Ikke » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:25 pm

I am trying to find the piece of legislation the plant councelor was referring to. No success yet though. He used the term "PAKAR" could be spelled differently. But I agree with you scab that once they have Alberta sown up, they can work on the BC people. Of course I am in B.C. and I wish I had the chance to vote with my feet. I even hear from some of our staunch Union members that they expect that Joe Fontana will get involved but not the way they want. They figure it is al ikely scenario that Joe Fontana will order the vote to take place. We all know that the offer will pass. Lets hope Joe Fontana does this quick

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:59 pm

scab

That link doesn't say anything. There has to be some sort of legislation in the Federal Labour Code. Anybody know how to find it?

Wwood
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Re: Can the company issue an ultimatum?

Postby Wwood » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:10 pm

Altogether a distinct possibilty

From a distance you look like my friend, even though we are at war.
From a distance I just cannot comprehend what all this fighting is for. Bette Midler

Return to “Union Members for Democracy”