Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Do TWU members have the answers they need ?

This group moderates their own board. Notify them of any issues. Is job action the wisest choice? What is our objective ?

Moderator: Koot

Koot
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Do TWU members have the answers they need ?

Postby Koot » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:03 am

:idea: The members on the picketline, should have the right to have a few questions answered.

What is the objective we are trying to achieve with this job acrtion. This has to be a detailed objective, which can be measured to see if we are getting closer.

WWhat are the chances of acttually achiving it

What is the falback position if we can not achieve this objective

If we are being asked to go to battle, should we not know what we are fighting for? And lofty statements just dom't cut it. We do need real practical answers.

Ash
Site Wannabe Administrator
Site Wannabe Administrator

Re: Do TWU members have the answers they need ?

Postby Ash » Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:10 pm

Good questions.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

Ikke

Postby Ikke » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:19 pm

8) We should all request the answers to these questions.
Even though most people do not know the answers, it will force them to actually think about them.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:33 pm

How many people support your cause? What are the options you are willing to take?

Koot
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Koot » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:37 pm

The website www3.telus.net/twudemocrats has over 20,000 hits
From that we can assume that there are a lot of people who agree with the ideas. How many axactly we don't know. At first our idea was to get a different perspective ouit there. Now we want to put pressure on the TWU executive to engage in discussions with their members to determine what the members want.
How far are we willing to go? Well we have turned down requests for interviews from the media, because we are still hoping our executive will give us the time of day, but so far they do not respond to us. We are wondering if it serves a positive purpose to use the media, it can backfire.
So for now we encourage anyone to send a copy of the open letter to Bruce Bell to Mr. Bell. We have mailed our signed copies.

mowerpower
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby mowerpower » Mon Sep 05, 2005 8:25 pm

What exactly are you trying to do? Would you go so far as to secertify them to bring in another union?

Of course Bruce Bell didn't respond, nor did he respond when I sent him emails prior to the Alberta strike.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:06 pm

if that was done legally by the majortity I wouldnt cross your picket line.I would honor it.

polecat
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby polecat » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:41 am

I dont believe there should be a need to cross the picket lines....I think that if we take a different approach there will be no need to cross the picket line.....times are a changing and we need to, as a union, change with the times...

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:25 am

koot

The number of hits on a website does not lead to any conclusions. For you to make the assumption that a lot of people agree with the ideas is stretching things a little thin. Website hits and polls do not necessarily reflect a true picture of things.

Remember 'a** u me' - on old boss of mine taught us that.....

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:24 pm

Most people spend most time listening to others (right or wrong) rather than to do serious research into issues to get answers....

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:08 pm

alec

so true

Return to “Union Members for Democracy”