Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

CIBC bank on Strike in Sudbury

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Banking sector.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

CIBC bank on Strike in Sudbury

Postby NC » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:45 am

This is so similar to the Lively Seven stuff that I followed for so long that I had to look twice when I read the headline. No such thing. this is the other unionized bank in chain in Sudbury.
Front Page, Monday, January 14, 2008, p. A1

CIBC workers vote to strike
Staff votes 27-25 to reject bank's latest contract offer Sunday afternoon

Bob Vaillancourt

Employees at the five Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce branches in the Sudbury area were on the picket line this morning for the first time since joining the United Steelworkers of America two years ago.

Workers voted 27 to 25 to reject the bank's latest contract offer Sunday afternoon and immediately began the process of creating picket signs.

A CIBC bank spokesman said the bank would close four of its five area branches, leaving only the New Sudbury Centre branch open.

Rod Cumming said that branch would extend its hours, operating 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays, but would be closed Saturday during the strike.

Normally, the branch is open Saturday and is open 9 to 5 p.m. during the week.

Customers can also take advantage of banking machines, telebanking and the Internet, said Cumming.

The United Steelworkers organized CIBC workers in early 2006 and were able to achieve a first contract without a work stoppage. However, that contract expired in November.

Jim Kmit, staff representative with the Steelworkers, said bank employees - mostly women - faced many of the same issues their counterparts faced at the Toronto Dominion Bank, where the workers struck for five weeks last summer.

There are 66 unionized workers at CIBC in Sudbury with 62 casting their ballot Sunday. There are another 20 CIBC employees in Sudbury who are not part of the union.

The key issues are monetary, said Kmit including wages, pensions and benefits. "The bank does not pay 100 per cent of the premiums on medical benefits. The workers are looking for a 'years-in-service' factor on their pensions so they can go on pension at an earlier age. And the wages weren't satisfactory."

As was the case at the TD Bank, wages varied by individual.

"Some of the people got raises in excess of 90 cents over the two years and some people were well below that."

Cumming said the bank's negotiating team is prepared to get back to the bargaining table to discuss the issues and were awaiting the call of the federal mediator.

The closeness of the vote didn't surprise him, said Kmit.

"These people have never been on strike before and this is all brand new to them, but the majority of them feel they deserve something much better than they have been offered. This was a final offer from CIBC."

The deal did not receive the recommendation of the bargaining team, said Kmit. It was offered to the members "just as it was and the majority have said that was not enough."

Had the contract been accepted the base rate of pay would have been $12.73 an hour. The top rate would have been $21 an hour. However, most of the rates are below $15, Kmit said.
I am trying to imagine rationalizing the good of being a member of a group like the United Steelworkers, when I work in a bank. Let's see if the Steelworkers can get more for these people than they did for the folks at the TD Canada Trust.

We had a brief visit from on of the TD Canada Trust group but he never came back. They were trying to decertify. I suspect getting a ground swell of bank workers to become union activists would be challenging.

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:44 pm

I found a groovy little interview with the picketers:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDi ... John+Lappa

They have part two from today.. maybe I'll keep the whole series...

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDi ... John+Lappa

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:50 am

I am moving this thread down into Banking. I have found the collective agreement from the TD Bank group on Negotech and I am hoping the CIBC one will appear.

Let's see who wins the wage escalation wages in the banking sector in Sudbury.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:05 am

Okay, so Negotech pulled through again. I found a TD Canada Trust Collective agreement on line that expired in 2007.

A 12-month first-time agreement effective January 15, 2006 to January 15, 2007, settled in January 2006 at the conciliation stage. Duration of negotiations - 7 months. and here is the whole agreement, I left it on Negotech.

Let's see how the CIBC group does in comparison.

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Re: CIBC bank on Strike in Sudbury

Postby Cat Lady » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:46 pm

I am trying to imagine rationalizing the good of being a member of a group like the United Steelworkers, when I work in a bank.
It's the same as voting for the "Progressive Conservatives." :)

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:56 pm

or (this one is for wimpole1)

Being a member of a Communications Workers Union and they never tell me anything. :D

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:47 pm

The word you are searching for is "oxymoron"... "Country Music", Military intelligence", and "Union democracy".

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:13 pm

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:57 am

They have a little newspaper forum at www.northerlife.ca that covers the strike in a very left wing manner.

http://www.northernlife.ca/News/LocalNe ... 21-08-CIBC

The Steelworkers leader there - Jim Kmit made this great statement which I think explains why unions should not exist:

[quote="Jim Kmit"]“They [CIBC] have what you call performance-based culture and they're saying that culture doesn't allow people that don't perform to their standards a raise. That has got to be fixed.â€

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:08 pm

Well, I've been posting to the NortherLifewebsite, and they seem to be taking offense to my posts, or finding them not within the scope of what they feel their readers want to read.

It seems, I want to say shocking but I think "disappointing to find true" that mainstream media does censor public input when it goes against the opinion of an Editor. It's like the whole Wikipedia thing, Editors deleting posts and censoring content because it does not suit their agenda.

I started reading Northerlife as a web news service when the Lively Seven thing rose up, and until now was about 85% certain they did not crop anything but the most vacuous of posts, and given what they *did* allow, even that measure was pretty lax, but I am saddened that they seem to direct, or try to direct, opinion with creative editorializing.

I'm not going to stop reading and posting but.. still, as you all know, I place great creedence in the right to have one's opinion heard.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:35 pm

Surfed back into the Northern Life site...

Thought I might get someone called "Other side of the coin" to come and post here.. let's try.

My comment on their site was:
[quote="NC on Northernlife.ca"]Jim Kmit is quoted saying: “They have what you call performance-based culture and they're saying that culture doesn't allow people that don't perform to their standards a raise. That has got to be fixed.â€

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:40 pm

And since I am taking the time to do this now.. let's give some more perspective. On my same post, "Ronnie says":
man about town needs to educate himself....read up on the NDP. They represent workers not million dollar profit banks. Go France Go and keep up the good work. Women supporting women. All workers deserve a raise. I guess that NC from labourtalk must be a real hard worker and get a real high performance based pay...gee I hope she never gets sick or anything that can affect the performance....The Union will prevail, because the workers are solidly supporting one another....I feel so sorry for the wealthy bank needing to save their money....
to which, I.. in my own humble manner responded thusly:
My performance is very good Ronnie, thank you, but I am self employed so it has to be. I only get to eat what I kill.

I stand with Sam on the issue of what a group like Steelworkers bring to a "Client Service" industry. The CIBC group, like the TD Canada Trust group are being led to believe that being a Steelworker is a license to fully paid benefits and unstoppable earning potential regardless of your performance levels. Unionism is a dieing institution, globally the concept in the genus that is the United Steelworkers, has been proven to not work. I know from our chat forum, and the Lively Seven website that a bunch of the TD folks wanted to get rid of the Steelworkers and I guess they failed so all must not be perfect in the world of Unionized Banking.
If you want to read the whole thing, go here and have a say... they are still on strike.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 pm

Here's today's comment I made:
Not sure this will get "published" but I am carrying this thread, of a sort, on our site labourtalk.org.

I am not against unions, but I am against Unions, with a big "U". The ones that keep people like these CSR's and FSR's and IA's out on strike when with potentially unrealistic expectations, so that the Union can be seen as "Taking the fight to the man" and fighting the fight for the little guy.

The Steelworkers are not what they once were, Champions for the oppressed workers in the dangerous Steel industry. They are a business now, and they are now called the "United Steel, Paper and Forestry, Rubber, Manufacturing, Energy, Allied Industrial and Service Workers International Union". What does that group bring to this customer service oriented group in Sudbury?

The Steelworkers need the CIBC employees more than the CIBC employees need the Steelworkers, by a country mile.

JJ
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby JJ » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:09 pm

The CIBC strike has been going on for so long now. nc made a comment on one of the news threads in sudbury about Jim Kmit (union president) comment about how the CIBC is saying its last offer is comparable to others banks. Kmit says "yes that's true, but all bank employees are paid too low".

to me this shows how the union intellect works and how they are using these women to fight the fight they lost at the td bank up there. these women are on strike now for all banking employees in canada? that seems a bit rough.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:57 pm

I keep up on that topic, the banks that get unionized. it strikes me as suck idiocy (pardon the pun).

One of the people who was involved in the TD Strike a year or so ago was on our site for a bit but no one else from the banks wanted to get involved. I mean, you're living in union central up in Sudbury so taking a stand against them, or coming out at all is likely to get your dog shot, or worse.

Some of the CIBC members are at least make some noise... one call "other side of the coin" joined over here but never posted. I don't think banks are where activists come from.

Return to “General Discussion - Financial”