Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

CIBC bank on Strike in Sudbury

Talk here about issues with unions or companies in the Banking sector.
Other side of the coin
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Other side of the coin » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:12 pm

Tell me please why you feel a CEO should make MILLIONS of dollars a year? The women of CIBC are not asking for MILLIONS, only a fair DECENT wage. In my eyes to justify ANYONE making this kind of money, be it hockey players, baseball etc is just unreal, given the fact that we have people living on the streets, the poor etc..

It's time that someone stands up to these big corporations. The union allows the workers to stand up for what they believe is fair without getting fired for it. The union didn't decide to strike, it was us the workers. The union didn't decide what wage was acceptable, again it was US the workers. We knew this wouldn't be an easy fight, but it was one that is LONG OVER DUE in the BANKING INDUSTRY.

The UNION didn't make us go on strike. The years of poor management in the banking industry amoung other things did. It's the people on the picket line (our fellow employees) that make us strong.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:22 am

OSC - first - Welcome.

Second. Having a union represent you is not going to take away the millions that that bank Exec allegedly makes. The TD Bank people ended up making less than their peers at other TD Banks because they have the same pay scale, but they pay union dues now. This is the piece OSC is speaking about.

Jim Kmit (Steelworkers of America Rep for the area) said the offer was competitive among banks in the region, but all banks workers are underpaid so you were all staying out on strike.

Does that not concern you? You are on strike to support the United Steelworkers of America in their bid to unionize the bank workers of Canada when they have proven they can't even get better than scale for the TD? How long do expect it to take the Canadian banking industry to kneel before Jim Kmit?

I mean this respectfully OSC, it has to have occurred to you, what do you tell yourself?

Find - Desiderata - read it

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:37 am

interesting article.

The comments are not very supportive of the Union.

Let me rephrase that: Every one supports that poor girls who are out on strike and thinks the union exec are jerks (I am paraphrasing of course) :roll:

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:04 pm

I am reading some online new stories in an effort to better understand the mess. It's this sort of quote that is not going to win public support for the picketers:
Currently, if an employee doesn't meet the target number, and fails to improve over three months, they are either demoted or fired, said Ms Levesque.
http://www.parrysound.com/market/1207144338/

Presumably suggesting that regardless of ones performance you should be kept on and left to drag the whole thing down?

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Yes Ms. levesque has left that statement open for interpretation...

If the standards they have to achieve are difficult to reach (or unreachable) then, yes, the CIBC are big meanies.

However, if a reasonable standard has been set then the CIBC has a right to expect it's employees to work to that standard in order to provide consistent service to their customers.

Is it just me thinking this, or are Union Leaders reality bad at producing quotes to the media?

:roll:

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:43 pm

Is it just me thinking this, or are Union Leaders reality bad at producing quotes to the media?

:roll:
From my point of view, they EXCEL at making quotes to the media.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:21 pm

Kind of like going to visit ol' grandad and listening to him talk about the old days when labour was king......

TWwho?

Other side of the coin
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Other side of the coin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:19 pm

Thank you for the welcome. Your comment NC that " the union is not going to change what the CEO is making" is likely very true. Does a CEO deserve to make more, of COURSE. Does he deserve to make that much, I DON'T BELIEVE SO.

We didn't vote in a Union for that purpose. A union as I see it, gives us the right to question and have a voice within the banking industry. It gives us protection and the backing by way of funds and resource's if we feel there is a need for a "third party"(unpartial) by way of arbitration. I don't look at it as some have stated as " holding the bank hostage". It holds the bank and the employee's BOTH responsible to come forth with a fair contract for both parties. There must be give and take on BOTH SIDES.

It is not fair that some employee's have been at the same WAGE for periods of 3 to 5 years with satisfactory performances. Does the bank have a right to rate their employee's. OF COURSE THEY DO. But since this is done by a rating system and a manager (who is human) and therefore may not always rate "fairly" in the eye's of some employee's, why wouldn't it be acceptable to have a third party look at it? This wouldn't happen if we didn't have the union. It just makes for a more even "playing field" per say, I think.

Jim Kmit comment that the "offer was competitive among banks in the region, but all banks workers are underpaid", I believe to be a very truthful statement. The workload in banking has doubled if not tripled, as I am sure it has in many industries. The cost of living has continued to go up. The banks continue to make "BIG PROFITS" which is great, because if they didn't what customer would want to deal with them and therefore there would be less jobs, but that being said they also have to pay fair wages to the employees on ALL LEVELS of the business, NOT JUST THE TOP.

We are staying out on strike because we feel the bank hasn't put forth a FAIR OFFER. We didn't stay on strike because ALL BANK WORKERS ARE UNDERPAID. If there are workers in the Royal banks, Scotia banks etc. that feel the same way we due, then they need to take a stand, and we will support them but that is their chose.

The quote that Mrs Levesque made about the target numbers I will elaborate on. Tellers must sell so many products per week. Example, Visa's, Overdraft protection etc. They must also refer clients on to what we call FSR2 (Financial Sales Represenative) for new account openings, loans, MTG's etc. The FSR2 also has individual targets in dollar amounts that must be met each week. These targets are the same for all 5 branches in the Sudbury region ever though the geographical area's can be VERY DIFFERENT, therefore the clients needs are very Different from one area to the other. These targets go UP EVERY YEAR. Also the bank calls the targets "INDIVIDUAL" Targets yet some are
far from individual and one has no control of the outcome. So yes, if an employee isn't pulling his/her weight they should be demoted or let go of course as long as they have had SUFFICIENT TRAINING (that's another topic in itself) but all this being said, YES THE TARGETS ARE VERY AGGRESSIVE for the amount of time in a day and support we receive.

The Canadian banking industry should not kneel down before Jim Kmit, just as I shouldn't have to KNEEL down before them. I should put in a HARD DAYS WORK and be PAID FAIRLY for it.

The ideal situation would be in the future that all bank employee's have their own LOCAL, as the needs for the banking employee's are very different to that of the mining industry. The one need we all have though is to be PAID FAIRLY and I believe everyone deserves that was well as the employer having the right to manage their business and having it profitable BUT NOT AT SOMEONE'S EXPENSE.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:40 pm

OSC you captured a point right at the end that I noted to address on my pad beside me as I read your discourse at the start.

I will proviso the following with the statement that these are my opinions, based on my experiences, which you being new to our group, know little of, but I consider myself knowledgeable so correct me if I am wrong.

You used the word "Impartial" to describe the involvement of the USWA. They are impartial in as much as they care no more nor less about the banking industry in Sudbury than they do a retail store in New Brunswick. Now that's not necessarily a negative statement, it is an endorsement of the complete lack of concern they hold equally for all trades.

I would heartily endorse a coming together of you and your peers to better you working environment if it were indeed, *you and you peers*, but it is not. It is 66 of you and a multi billion dollar business that makes more money if there is conflict between workers and employers and in an harmonious workplace they make nothing, they are out of a "job".

If this strike settled today, Kmit has lost his war. In fact when your bank settles for less than $1.00/hr raise, Kmit has lost the war.

You will settle for something and it will be the same something that all CIBC employees get across the country, and the Steelworkers of America will cry victory, though your employer will be in no different spot than had you never unionized. Meanwhile 44% of your dues will continue to flow to the United States International machine that is the United Steelworkers of America and the world will continue to spin on in it's greased grooves, while your exec makes millions and you just lost several months of income... for what?

86% of privately employed Canadians fight for the right to deal directly for their advancement and pay, while 14% depend on the union to do it... who is better off depends entirely on who is talking but the percentages speak volumes.

What is strike pay for you guys anyway? Are you all getting the same or do some get more. I recall the Telus thing (the birth place of this forum) there was much noise about Executive claiming to get strike pay but the financials showed the truth... full pay. Are you only paid to walk the line or what happens?

JJ
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby JJ » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:07 pm

This battle is very close to home and while the union always paints the picture that the community is rallying around the strikers you can tell that not everyone does.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:33 pm

The other thing to ask yourself... how many dollars an hour wage increase do you need over the course of a standard 5 year contract to compensate for the time off work...
keep in mind that a $1.00/hr raise is equal to about $2,000/yr or $10,000 over the life of the contract... (assuming 40 hr work week and the usual 5 year union contract)
how much does it cost you to be on strike earning ZERO...
I don't know how much a bank employee makes, but for the sake of argument on here I'm going to use $15/hr (adjust your figures accordingly) at $15/hr you make just over $30,000/yr, this means that if you are on strike longer than 4 months it wasn't worth it for a $1 raise, in fact you would have lost money (it would have cost you more to be off work for the strike than you will make in extra sallary in the entire length of the contract)
If you make more than $15/hr the strike needs to be even shorter to make a $1 raise worthwhile...

Simple financial sense, the company has thought about it... have you?

Other side of the coin
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Other side of the coin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:30 pm

NC..When I was using the word "impartial" it was not referring to the union. The "impartial" view would come if there was a grievance between the company and the employee which couldn't be settled. It would then go through the grievance procedure which could end up with an arbitrator hearing the case( which would be your "impartial" person).

The union does collect dues, but they also put out Thousand's of dollars in fighting cases for the workers. This would not be possible for the average worker to due without the union. Therefore the company would have "free reign" on any situation that might arise in the work place, right or wrong. With a contract they are accountable for some things.

Your statement about "Jim Kmit losing the war". This strike is not about Jim Kmit. It is about the 66 employee's of CIBC and their future and those to follow.

You don't give the employee's enough credit, they are not puppets on a string for the bank or the union. They are average people who have found the strenght inside them to stand up for what they believe in and to look beyond. I have to laugh when people comment about the lost wages and that we will never make them up. Do they really think we are that stupid? We are well aware that the money will never be regained back. This is not just about money as so many people would like to think. This is about having a voice in the workplace, about having a decent pension and benefits, fairness in the work place etc.

When we settle will it be the same something that all CIBC'S get across the country? Yes because we set the standard and CIBC will give it to the other CIBC'S just to keep the UNION OUT, but that's alright because we will have made a difference. Our first contract we settled was for more then they gave the other CIBC employee's, so they raised them again to what we had bargained for. A raise they would not have gotten had we not be able to bargain.

Will the CEO continue to make outrageous money, as you stated? More then likely but in the end they will know as I am sure they already due, that we will not be held "hostage" either. This has not been an easy fight against a multi billion dollar corporation but the easy path in life isn't always the right one.

We all get the same strike pay. One doesn't make more then the other. As long as you put in your time on the line you are paid. The first three weeks we received ZERO pay. Then we started off at $150.00 and now we make $300.00 weekly.

JJ- you are right not everyone rally's behind the strikers but we draw strenght from those that believe in us and respect the views of those that don't, even though we may not agree with them.

green 1- A contract is not usually 5 years. An average contract is usually 2 to 3 years and this is something that is bargained between the two sides to agree upon.

Once again I say we are well aware that the money lost will not be recouped. You have to look at the bigger picture.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue May 27, 2008 6:01 pm

You guys still out OTC? The media has been a bit quite.

Freelancer
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

freelance columnist wants to talk to CIBC strikers

Postby Freelancer » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:39 am

It's been a lengthy strike and i'm wondering how strikers are able to manage it....and how the issues may have changed since the beginning. Any strikers who want to talk to the media should contact me at freelancer444@gmail.com .... i'm willing to come to sudbury to buy you a coffee!

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:00 am

Welcome Freelancer, I must assume you are a writer? It's nice to know that people are reading our humble little site.

Other Side, you should send this guy an email and set up a visit.

Return to “General Discussion - Financial”