Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Bargaining

Compare the differences with the different available unions. Which is the better choice?
goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Bargaining

Postby goatdancer » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:09 pm

How were the bargaining demands determined?

lonetag
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: Bargaining

Postby lonetag » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:03 am

Not 100% sure but from what I was told it was down by a survey mailed out to all members. The Business Manager was charged with conducting bargaining with a committee of members of backing them up. However most of the talking would be done by the Business Manager as they undergo training at the International Level to ensure there competency as negoiotaters. It seems interesting they had pretty good benefits in Alberta maybe not quite as high as BC depending on your point of view but they never had to go on strike to get them, they seemed more adept at swimming in the Shark tank.

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:32 pm

lonetag
I notice that you are a poster from BC and don't appear to have any actual experience with the IBEW in AB. I too am from BC and never worked under the IBEW. I appreciate your effort to try provide info. I wonder where all the Alberta people are?

lonetag
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby lonetag » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:07 am

lonetag
I notice that you are a poster from BC and don't appear to have any actual experience with the IBEW in AB. I too am from BC and never worked under the IBEW. I appreciate your effort to try provide info. I wonder where all the Alberta people are?
That's an easy question to answer most if not 99% of the people have gone back to their regular lives. You can see it in the posting rate on the forums, it's slowed to a trickle as it has also on VFC (a little busier there). I suspect eventually this will disappear from lack of use.

lonetag
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby lonetag » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:12 am

lonetag
Just so you know I supported the IBEW in the bargaining agent vote what was it 5+ years ago now. So I had a good oppurtunity to see how they operated and asked them a lot of questions. That is where my information came from. I still think we made a huge mistake back then, many people didn't think the agent that was chosen would ever be able to negoitate a contract with the company. Guppies should not try to swim with sharks. To swim with sharks you need another shark.

niceguy1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby niceguy1 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 7:20 pm

I was never a union person. I come from a long line of non-union people. I see corruption deeply in both the union and the companies. Which one is better, I believe their both just as bad. The IBEW, couldn't negotiate with me let alone an big corporation. The TWU could negotiate, only they decided stubbornness and bold face refusal would work. So again what who is better, none they both would have lost.

lonetag
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby lonetag » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:10 pm

The IBEW, couldn't negotiate with me let alone an big corporation.
Your post provides no evidence and thus make no sense.

niceguy1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby niceguy1 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:25 pm

Well of the old Agreements between TELUS/BCTEL, which one gave TELUS the ability Contracting out. Answer IBEW. Ask any Member that is part of the IBEW, there only members because it's hard to get work without it. They actually don't trust them, because there lack of strength in regards to Bargaining. Heck the CLAC negotiate better then they do.

lonetag
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby lonetag » Fri Dec 30, 2005 8:00 pm

Well I guess one of the VFC Rattleheads has now joined us on this thread.

It is very typical of the commie loving pinkos that populate our ranks out here in B.C. that they abhor anything truly democratic like the IBEW. They want to mindlessly cheer for their demigod dictactors that lead them down the broken path to the worker's paradise and obilivon where they can sit sucking their thumbs and reading from their little red books.

goatdancer
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby goatdancer » Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:34 pm

lonetag
Lets try keep it civil and focussed. I wanted this thread started to try get good information. There were some posters that were glorifying the IBEW and I am trying to get a perspective of their operation in AB. The one discussion I had with an AB IBEW guy left me with some serious concerns. However, that was only one individual.
So please cut the rhetorical 'commie pinko' 'little red books' comments and just concentrate on facts. That is how we learn.

niceguy1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby niceguy1 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:28 pm

Thx's Goatdancer, We may not agree, but name calling and retoric is uncalled for. Normally when I'm directly insulted such as the "Commie Pinko" I fire back 10 times harder. People have a right to there opinion and i respect that. I was part of the union, ran for position in an election. Rubbed shoulders with direct supporters of the union president. I have Friends who are high up in the IBEW, and what they tell me is very disturbing. I know how IBEW works and they cannot be trusted. They work more for the companies then the employee's. Why else was Darren Entwistle trying to get them as the union representing the employee's? He can control them a whole lot easier. the TWU are volatile and unpreditable, That is their greatest flaw and ultimately their down fall.

lonetag
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby lonetag » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:00 pm

Niceguy your posts reak of paranoia and you are obviously one of the sheep that follow the TWU blindly so perhaps if you don't have any more evidence than something made up you heard 14th hand you could keep it to yourself. The fact is the IBEW is one on the most respected unions around, and considered to be one of the most democratic.

niceguy1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby niceguy1 » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:09 pm

Well lonetag, since your posting are someone rude and Extremely illinformed there is no value. I guess you can say From nothing comes nothing. Since your postings are fillied with nothing and nonsense, Your postings are nothing and nonsense. :lol:

Pants On Fire
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Pants On Fire » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:00 am

Well I guess one of the VFC Rattleheads has now joined us on this thread.

It is very typical of the commie loving pinkos that populate our ranks out here in B.C. that they abhor anything truly democratic like the IBEW. They want to mindlessly cheer for their demigod dictactors that lead them down the broken path to the worker's paradise and obilivon where they can sit sucking their thumbs and reading from their little red books.
Well, Lonetag, I'd have to say this is the "ONE" post you've made that actually makes sense! Not that I agree with your "commie loving pinkos" description but then I guess that's the best you can do for someone who isn't totally leftist.

Sounds like you're more left wing - NDPish than you think! The IBEW is a very strong supporter of the NDP.

I also agree with your summation of niceguy1. He's a sick lone wolf seeking refuge in any habour! VFC won't have him. And you've already identified him as a flaming troller here. What will the mods do with him now?

niceguy1
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby niceguy1 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:17 am

Well the mod's did nothing since at no time did I slander anyone. But the two of you did, so I suggest you watch what you say as personally I might get some gratification at seeing you too censored or banned.

Return to “TWU vs. IBEW vs. ?”