Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Canadian HR Reporter article on Fines

Discussion about the issue of Unions fining their members.
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Canadian HR Reporter article on Fines

Postby NC » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:23 pm

We're famous.

A very interesting pair of articles appeared on April 24th in Canadian HR Reporter magazine.. One of the writers mentions our humble wen forum, and the Telus TWU issue:
Mortimer: Googling the Internet for more research on fines levied by other unions turns up the Telecommunications Workers Union (TWU). It is issuing fines to Alberta members who worked during last year’s Telus dispute. Thousands of union members crossed picket lines. Some fines are reported to be as high as $10,000 — even though its own constitution says fines are “not to exceed $1,000.”
then again...
Mortimer…union-run trials that have been described by posters in a chat room on www.labourtalk.ca as a “kangaroo court,” where “no amount of argument can change [their] opinion.” One chat room member wisely cautioned those who are hijacked by the TWU tribunals to “avail themselves of the services of the lawyer.”
Both points are posted below in seperate threads if anyone wants to comment. I tried to get these onto VFC... nothing, I am of course not allowed on.

Are any VFC posters allowed to read here anymore? If so, I would love to hear what they have to say about fines over on TWU's VFC site.

finian
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

VFC

Postby finian » Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:21 pm

Are any VFC posters allowed to read here anymore? If so, I would love to hear what they have to say about fines over on TWU's VFC site.
It would appear they aren't allowed to discuss the matter anymore. Many are asking but moderators say they won't post any info about the tribunals. That’s why I came here for a peak. It’s pretty much a given that most are hoping and anticipating fines will be issued. I will concede that the debate seems to be over whether the constitution allows for a one-time fine of $1,000.00 or a thousand dollars per offence.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:13 pm

Yeah, well as tired as I personally am about fines, they have to be addressed. It is tiring to keep beating the damn horse but... it won't die. Everytime one side makes ground the other pushes them all the way back to the start again.

Find - Desiderata - read it

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:22 pm

Just noticed this, but it mentions labourtalk.ca, not labourtalk.org.

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

finian
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby finian » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:55 am

Just noticed this, but it mentions labourtalk.ca, not labourtalk.org.
OK what's labourtalk.ca? The site seems to be disabled.

Ash
Site Wannabe Administrator
Site Wannabe Administrator

Postby Ash » Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:05 am

Its our old URL.

Ash

"Shop smart. Shop S-Mart."

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:33 am

Yup, labourtalk.ca was our previous address.

"The website you have entered is not in service, please check the address and try again, if you need assistance... well... too bad."

(Can you tell I'm a telephone operator? :lol: That's my modified and preferred OOS [out of service] recording.)

Anyway, aproximately November of last year, we changed forum ownership. Along with that came a change in top level lettering. We currently own:

http://www.labourtalk.com
http://www.labourtalk.info
http://www.labourtalk.net
http://www.labourtalk.org

and for those that can't spell:

http://www.labortalk.net

All of the sites are forwarded to our regular address of labourtalk.org. Hope that helps! ... "if you need assistance... well... too bad."

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:45 pm

We have too many names, I lost track sometime in February. Thanks for the refresher.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “Fines - Including PSAC & Telus”