Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

East Workers

Add your links here. Could be caselaw or links to other orginizations.
Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

East Workers

Postby Admin1 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:14 pm

I would love to hear how people in the East feel about their position in this dispute. We have a voice too!! I hope that you will post you questions, thoughts and comments!

Number One: How are you feeling about the last few weeks? Does this affect whether or not you support the union?

WorknHardOrHardlyWorkn?

Postby WorknHardOrHardlyWorkn? » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:18 pm

I also work in the East and feel totally left out by the TWU. :( I know it sounds silly, but I don't feel wanted and have tried really hard to find out everything that I could. I called and sent emails and got very little reply. I then gave up and started listening to the company and feel that they are very fair. They told me to make the best decision for myself. The people on V4C screamed and yelled and I admit, I don't want to associate myself with them. I do know that I can dontate my union dues to a charity. I would rather do that until someone I can respect represents me!!

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:31 pm

Absolutely Workin'Hard, for some job classifications, you have to have union dues deducted from your paycheck, but I know many, many, many people that either asked to be RAND (all you have to do is say "I don't believe in unions" and designat ea charity you'd like your dues to go to) or they just never signed their union card and let the union keep the money. Either way, they are NOT union members, and now are NOT subject to scab fines.
Further, some of them, even in BC, had NEVER heard from the union in over a decade since they were supposed to have returned their union cards - it's a myth to think that the union will hastle you or force you to sign... well, maybe times have changed now, they seem to be more desperate - but bottom line, just don't sign. Let them take the dues, ask that they go to charity if you feel strongly about it, or just completely ignore it. The choice IS yours, but you've got to think - what will it buy me if I DO sign up? The right to vote? Well, you already know the union's not going to give you an opportunity to vote on anything unless they fully endorse it, so other than that, all you're buying is the requirement to honour picket lines, and the ability to be charged/fined if you cross those lines.

4bit4

Ontario Chimes In

Postby 4bit4 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:46 am

More than anything I'm amazed at how poorly the union has handled this. As far as teh east goes, most of us came from jobs where we made far less money and in a lot of cases, did a lot more work. Telus Mobility has been a godsent for me in terms of supporting my family. Up until the strike, we really didn't care all that much about what was going on. I know that's insensitive, but it was out of sight and out of mind. Now of course we are all on messed up shifts and there are a whole bunch of people helping out who have not had proper training and it makes us mental (although we appreciate the help).

The fact is that TM (I can't speak for Telus as a whole) was ready for a strike. The Union's actions have had no effect on anything really. The people who were brought in from other departments are starting to go back to work while temps are being trained to fill the holes. Shifts are starting to go back to normal. The only big difference is that TM is giving us free masages and promo crap and fun stuff like that.

I really don't have much developed views of the situation in the west because I have less information that I would like, but as far as the east goes we're pretty much happy.

I agree that a new contract needs to come. I think it's true that people who were under teh BC-Tel agreement are going to lose some things and that blows. I've worked for about 5 companies in my professional life and this is the best deal that I've gotten so far (although I have gotten more pay, but it was a differnt position).

The way the union appears out here is very childish. No were not going to take this offer to a vote because it's not good enough. No we're not going to vote on the offer that was more or less implemented because it was not put forward in the proper way (even though when it was, it was not voted on either). Setting up picket lines when the whole company is not on board was a horrible misjudgement. Talking about coming out east after west employees started going back to work was just plain stupid. The union is completely ineffective and is doing nothing more than keeping the strikers from getting paid. Everyone should go to the table and start with a realistic offer that is comparable to the other companies across Canada.

I'd love more info on the west perspective (which I will be getting as I read through this forum). I'm sure some of my view are more company oriented as that is the perspective I'm seeing it from. I heard that the forum was interested in seeing what the east was thinking and this is the how feelings are with the people I speak with.

rick
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby rick » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:53 pm

Absolutely Workin'Hard, for some job classifications, you have to have union dues deducted from your paycheck, but I know many, many, many people that either asked to be RAND (all you have to do is say "I don't believe in unions" and designat ea charity you'd like your dues to go to) or they just never signed their union card and let the union keep the money. Either way, they are NOT union members, and now are NOT subject to scab fines.
FYI
Being a RAND classified worker still requires that you have to pay union dues to the union. I know because I am one of them. However, if you feel strongly enough in your religious convictions that paying dues to a union is anti-religious to you, you may apply to the CIRB to have a hearing at which time you may present a valid reasons why you should not pay dues. If agreed upon, the union and yourself can agree upon a designated charity for those dues. Note that dues deductions as per the contract would still be in effect. THat would mean you would have dues deducted as per the union rules, including your overtime.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:59 pm

Hi Rick, yes I think no matter what you'll get dues deducted, but RAND employees are supposed to have the choice of having their dues go to a charity of their choice. This is in the TWU charter.

lemonysnickets
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby lemonysnickets » Sat Sep 17, 2005 12:35 pm

So when are the east employees going on strike? lol? I thought that was supposed to happen over a month ago and they were just finishing setting up locals?

Good work TWU.. rock solid.. maybe in BC.. for now.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:07 pm

Well the east workers have to make a decision.

Do they jump on the TWU bandwagon?

I suspect they will be more inclined to just wait for thinks to work themselves out in the west. Winter is coming on and the idea of being told to leave their jobs is probably not to enticing right now. They have set up locals and voted in an executive. However there do not appear to be more than a handful of members interested at each location.

They will not sign thier cards until after this is over and then, then things are back to normal only grudgingly. Perhaps there will be a significant number of RAND employees in the east.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:39 am

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm 99.999% positive that the union CAN NOT ask the eastern members to strike, since they did not partake in the strike vote.

4bit4

Postby 4bit4 » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:45 am

In theory, the Union can call a strike in the east, it would just be ineffective. Over 90% of the people here would just go to work. Insofar as the Barrie location, there is no place to really have a line because the call centre is in a mall. The only place they could have a line is out on the sidewalk away from everything. Since there are a bunch of people who would be going in and out of the mall all day, it would be almost impossible to figure out which cars coming into the parking lot are employees and which are shoppers. And once the cars are in teh parking lot, there is no public property between the cars and the door to the call centre.

darkain
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby darkain » Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:23 pm

I wake up one day and I am told that I am in a union. Ok um that is nice....what is in it for me? Hmm... no immediate benefits from what I can see. A few weeks later the war hits and now this army recruiter, TWU, comes to our little independent village asking us share the cost of war with them. Our little village better join the fight they say, or our firstborn and vestal virgins will be sold as slaves to the Philippines and India. This war can go on for another 6 months before I see any tangible benefit from a union. Hmm... You want me to strike? So in other words, you want me to give up 6 months of good salary (hey wife and kids, does this sound like a good idea?) and for this honor, all I have to do is sign a union card? You know if someone knocked at my door asking for me to go into my bank account and withdrawal half a years salary to give up for a cause I would have some choice words. For some of us this job is just a stepping stone before we move on to another company and we are not going to sign any damn cards...damn it! Maybe we will sign after we see the get to see what being in a union is like during peacetime. But now? During wartime? We aint joining no war if we don’t have to.

Miles
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Miles » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:15 pm

I wake up one day and I am told that I am in a union. Ok um that is nice....what is in it for me? Hmm... no immediate benefits from what I can see
This war can go on for another 6 months before I see any tangible benefit from a union
Maybe we will sign after we see the get to see what being in a union is like during peacetime. But now? During wartime? We aint joining no war if we don’t have to.

Apathy

Return to “Helpful Links”