Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Union Members for Democracy

Add your links here. Could be caselaw or links to other orginizations.
krazytwacy

Postby krazytwacy » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:42 pm

democracytwu@telus.net

August 30, 2005

Mr. Bruce Bell

President T.W.U.

5261 Lane Street

Burnaby B.C.

V5H 4A6

Dear brother Bruce

We, members of the TWU are concerned about the course of action taken by the executive committee, without consultation of the membership. An impasse occurred after 4.5 years of trying to get Telus to bargain based on the existing contract between the TWU and BC-Tel, while Telus wanting to bargain based on a different contract. In our view, it is clear that the industry has changed to such an extent that the old contract, even though it has served us well, is not realistic under the present economic circumstances and hence it will never be accepted by Telus. We are of the opinion that it would have been better if the Union executive committee had consulted the, membership as to what course of action to follow, before taking job action. For example, in stead of resorting to job action the TWU could have

Accepted the Telus offer as is
Reported to work under the new contract, while indicating at the same time that this does not constitute acceptance of the contract in its entirety
Bargain with Telus on the basis of the Telus offer.
These options should be put before the membership and the pros and cons debated by the membership, so as to decide which action to take.

Furthermore, we are concerned about the projected length of time this job action may take. We suggest that the majority of the members can not economically sustain a nine month job action and that members will be forced by economic reasons to abandon job action. This would severely weaken the Union�s bargaining position. Given the fact that our industry has changed in fundamental ways, business as usual is no longer an option. Hence, we are of the opinion that generally speaking the Telus offer is reasonable and indeed the wisest course of action would be to negotiate using the Telus offer as a basis, identifying concerns and negotiate remedies to these concerns.

In closing, we wish to stress that the aforementioned opinions in no way constitute a criticism of the Union�s executive committee, rather we wish to make our opinions known in the hope that they may serve the interest of the Union�s members

Sincerely,

majohnson

Postby majohnson » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:50 pm

C'mon guys. You have to realize that the only way you will change the union is to do it from within. Attend meetings and make your feelings know. This union is you and me whether you believe this or not. You have to get involved to change it. Writting a letter to Brother Bell will not effect change. Everything that the union does is decided at convention. Convention is attended by delegates and these delegates are there to serve the members. Frankly I find that most of you're beliefs are the minority of what the members of the TWU believe. IF not attend a meeting and change our minds.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:30 am

I am afraid that I agree somwhat with Maj.....

It is a well crafted letter and says some good things. However, unless there is a tremendous groundswell of support brom both BC and Alberta supporting the letter it is unlikely that the Union will pay any attention.

The TWU have their way of doing things. Always have. They are unlikely to change.

Sad really......

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:34 am

I was under the impression this was written by people already inside. If so it has less credibility to me.

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

no

Postby Admin1 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:55 am

I am Pretty sure that this is Written by people who don't want to cross but don't agree with what is going on either. It is like there are three groups evolving from this.
1 The people who crossed
2 The strikers who are fighting for what they believe in.
3 Strikers who don't agree but don't want to cross.
Interesting. I hope you all have a say and prove your points well.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:00 am

Time will tell. I cant qualify this right now, but know for a fact lots of them are at work.

majohnson

Postby majohnson » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:49 pm

The TWU have their way of doing things. Always have. They are unlikely to change.

Sad really......
Now Alec....the TWU is a democratic body. Are you saying that democracy is bad? There is politics involved in this union and unless you who think the way you think become the majority....well I think you know the answer. Leaders do as the majority asks....PERIOD!!!!

Stewie
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby Stewie » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:59 pm

Sad really......
Now Alec....the TWU is a democratic body. Are you saying that democracy is bad? There is politics involved in this union and unless you who think the way you think become the majority....well I think you know the answer. Leaders do as the majority asks....PERIOD!!!!
...and the fact of the matter is, that the VAST majority of TWU union members DO NOT wish to vote on this "contract", Period!, regardless, of the wishes of a handfull of scabs....

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:39 pm

Well yes, the TWU is on paper a democratic body.

However, it has been demonstrated in Union meetings that opinions contrary to the position of the executive are not really tolerated. It is common for individuals to be shouted down to the point where an individual is not heard. This has been a method of operations for Unions the world over and does not seem likely to change in this day and age.

Most freedom of speech issues begin with the words or one or two individuals being suppressed.

JohnDoe
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby JohnDoe » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:18 pm

Similar to the whole "We don't intimidate, etc." and then you have some employee following you in your personal vehicle while you just want to go home (Note: since the injunction this has stopped). But you can't tell me that isn't a threatening action. I completely agree with alec's post. I've been to a few meetings and voiced my opinions to other union members only to be shot down for thinking differently.

Have a great day everyone!

JohnDoe

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

V4C

Postby Admin1 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 6:32 pm

Voices for Change would be a good example how many have been banned from speaking there? I could just image what they are like in person.

majohnson

Postby majohnson » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:57 pm

C'mon all of you....suck it up...You think I haven't been persucuted by Telus for my beliefs. You want change get in , get dirty, and get it done. Otherwise....well I be polite...please be quiet.

majohnson

Postby majohnson » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:59 pm

Well yes, the TWU is on paper a democratic body.

However, it has been demonstrated in Union meetings that opinions contrary to the position of the executive are not really tolerated. It is common for individuals to be shouted down to the point where an individual is not heard. This has been a method of operations for Unions the world over and does not seem likely to change in this day and age.

Most freedom of speech issues begin with the words or one or two individuals being suppressed.
Alec...as I've said before. You talk the talk about this big majority of people that are against the union....get at er buddy and walk the walk. Poor Alec...someone booed hem. People die every single day for their beliefs in parts of the world and you can't handled being shouted down. Get a backbone bud...

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Admin1 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:04 pm

C'mon all of you....suck it up...You think I haven't been persucuted by Telus for my beliefs. You want change get in , get dirty, and get it done. Otherwise....well I be polite...please be quiet.
I doubt they told it to you that way and that is what an Employer is suppose to do. I thought?

Wwood
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Wwood » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:06 pm

People on both sides are voting with thier feet. The words on this and other sites are just that; words
What really counts is the unprecidented people that seem to have issues with the twu leaderships current stance, tactics and track record.
People are "walking the walk". Right into the building and working.

Return to “Helpful Links”