Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Union Members for Democracy

Add your links here. Could be caselaw or links to other orginizations.
rick
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Re: V4C

Postby rick » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:16 pm

Didn't the admin for PicketCricket get banned for asking the wrong type of questions? At least demoted to reader status?

Voices for Change would be a good example how many have been banned from speaking there? I could just image what they are like in person.
i would be interested to see what was posted that got people banned in VFC. I know that site is watched constantly and Dave has to watch what goes on there or go back to court.

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:20 pm

what was asked. I see lots of opposing ideas in there and I find Dave is fair.

JustMe
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JustMe » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:32 pm

Why is this a sticky? We don't know who wrote it, and there is no signature. Anyone could have written this. If the admin can prove who wrote it and signed it, them by all means, stick it.

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Admin1 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:37 pm

I know who wrote it that is good enough for me and until your name has ADMIN on it don't tell me what I can and can't put on this site. It was a request from a member. If you have anything constructive to add then type away.

JustMe
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JustMe » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:41 pm

So if I wrote that the world was coming to an end in 10 days and asked you to stick it you would?

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Admin1 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:44 pm

Sure if I thought you were credible. Prove you are.

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:06 pm

what was asked. I see lots of opposing ideas in there and I find Dave is fair.
Dave is under a lot of pressure - not only is the future of his site, and future court action on the line, but so is his job. Since signing the agreement with TELUS he has done a really great job of QUICKLY getting rid of offensive posts. It's unfortunate that he's promised to monitor that site 8 hours a day 7 days a week (that's gotta cut into the personal life...), but his efforts do not go unnoticed.

For instance, on August 11th at 11:58 AM, in a threat about the Prime minister visiting Alberta, Kronix posted a picture of a high powered rifle, and suggested that if he were to assassinate the prime minister during that visit, that would in some way help to bring an end to this labour dispute. By 12:16 Dave had found, and removed all traces of that post, including followup replies and quotes. Obviously, that's the kinda post that could have the RCMP on your doorstep in a heartbeat and it's obvious why it was trashed, but the point is that Dave's really keeping on the ball - and quickly too.

I've got lots of other examples, like when RBH explained how to destroy a SAC box, or detailed the violence he was ready to perpetrate against scabs... there were also references to late night walks with an axe that obviously would be harmful to the membership if he had allowed the posts to remain, so it works both ways - protect the union, protect yourself, maybe even protect the company while you're at it. Oh, that reminds me - when confidential company documents were posted, they were deleted as well.

CandyApples
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby CandyApples » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:15 pm

I hope you are keeping these posts to show later if needed.

proudpicketer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby proudpicketer » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:01 pm

I know who wrote it that is good enough for me and until your name has ADMIN on it don't tell me what I can and can't put on this site. It was a request from a member. If you have anything constructive to add then type away.
Kinda going to your head isn't it Admim....or should that be Mr. /Mrs. Admin?

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby !(a.scab) » Tue Sep 06, 2005 2:13 pm

I hope you are keeping these posts to show later if needed.
Oh yeah... I know loads of people who watch that site (not sure if any actually post) and wherever possible they get printouts of the nasty stuff... mostly to pass around and laugh at ... I don't think it's the big 'AFI is watching us!" conspiracy that VFC claims it to be, but who knows... maybe those security guys are doing the same thing too... all I know is, we've got quite a collection on the bulletin board - the 'hall of shame' we call it.

cellgirl123
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

I was banned from V4C

Postby cellgirl123 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 6:11 pm

I was banned from V4C. I guess that I asked too many questions. They were not rude or disrespectful in nature. Just direct and honest. I then received an email from the admin, questioning my motivations. He even called me at home!

I do know however that some of the people on that website are the extreme and some are just passionate. Hopefully, the TWU will prove to be democratic. They should be contacting the people crossing and asking "Why do you feel that we are not representing your best interests?"
Maybe understanding why they are continuing to work instead of joining the picketline, more people in Alberta would support their own union?

!(a.scab)
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Re: I was banned from V4C

Postby !(a.scab) » Sun Sep 11, 2005 8:39 pm

I was banned from V4C. I guess that I asked too many questions. They were not rude or disrespectful in nature. Just direct and honest. I then received an email from the admin, questioning my motivations. He even called me at home!

I do know however that some of the people on that website are the extreme and some are just passionate. Hopefully, the TWU will prove to be democratic. They should be contacting the people crossing and asking "Why do you feel that we are not representing your best interests?"
Maybe understanding why they are continuing to work instead of joining the picketline, more people in Alberta would support their own union?
Dave called you at home? And you're in the East? Wow - I hope he doesn't do that for every person that he authorizes or bans... since he's not picketing (spending 8h/day 6 days a week moderating VFC as per the TELUS agreement) I doubt he's making enough to cover all those long distance bills - then again, he's probably got some kewl plan with a competitor...

I've still got post privs on VFC, but I'm a good boy - I'm very subtle in my questioning of their logic - not at all the persona I use here where I don't have to worry about censorship, but you DO have to be careful over there on the other side of the Iron Curtain, don't you!

Bob_Loblaw
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Bob_Loblaw » Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:56 pm

I have been to a TWU meeting and can tell you, I was too intimidated to voice my opinion. The pro strike members will not listen to opposing thoughts and talk over you.

I wish I could bring up the questions, without fear of my "co-workers" giving me dirty looks, or worse.

What options about getting representation within the meetings are there?

And a comment about voting with their feet: People have not chosen to picket out of conscience. They are picketing to get the pay. I wonder how many would cross if the company opened the doors in BC?

All I want is clear communication and information. Maybe even a hint of a plan other than more rallies and cancelling services. I want to feel secure with the unions plans and at this point I do not. Telus is clearly continuing to service it customers, still making money, still advertising. What has been the impact of this labour dispute other than lower they payroll and put more money in their pockets!

care
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby care » Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:54 pm

just want to say It is hard here in AB to have any respect for the TWU because of the TWU Reps I work with, they have a history of doing as little work as they can and get pissed off when somebody does a good job.

And yes I have thought about joining them and trying to change it from the inside but the ones I work with are way toooooo negative and you are not allowed to have an opinion that they haven't given you

Just my thoughts

I do care

jorver
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby jorver » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:35 pm

I agree. But I cant whine now. I didnt even try to get involved to change things before.

Return to “Helpful Links”