Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Employer Resistance Drives Down Union Membership

For posting of matters relating to international labour issues.
Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Employer Resistance Drives Down Union Membership

Postby Cat Lady » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:47 pm

The United States has the lowest level of union membership and collective bargaining of any industrial nation—and now the oppressive culture that deters workers from freely forming unions here is being exported around the world.
http://blog.aflcio.org/2007/12/11/globa ... und-world/

Employee Free Choice

Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:37 am

I would suggest that employee free choice has driven down the unionization levels in the world.

The greatest decline has come in Europe where it has been made illegal to have forced membership. Suddenly everyone started leaving the union, because they were allowed to do so easily. It has been stabilizing through increased efforts by Unions to be attractive vehicles for better working conditions. in short, unions are back doing what they are supposed to do, represent workers, not political goals.

Australia is an excellent example, the employees are getting a better deal now because the unions are trying to work for the members, not the executive.

I am working today but I have a lot of research available about this CatLady, it is *very* interesting and it does *not* point to employer involvement, it points to employees who use the courts to fight their way out of Unions.

The AFL-CIO is not the bastion of moderation when viewing such news at reduced global union density.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “International Labour Issues”