Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Corporate Responsibility at it's Best

I don't intend that this be filled with daily news items but feel free to put things in here that you think will interest us, or generate discussion.
Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Corporate Responsibility at it's Best

Postby Cat Lady » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:36 am

Read this story in "The Economist" magazine - thought I would share it with you. It's worth while read.

======================

Cocoa farming

Fair enough?
Jan 31st 2008
From The Economist print edition

Cadbury hopes to secure its cocoa supply with a new scheme

TIMES have not been sweet lately for Cadbury Schweppes, the world's biggest confectioner by sales. Nelson Peltz, an American activist investor, is waging a campaign for more influence over the management of the British company. Prices for raw materials are at record highs. Policymakers are stepping up their campaigns to warn consumers about the dangers of obesity. And Cadbury is uncertain about how to proceed with its plan to demerge its fizzy-drinks business, given the turbulence in the financial markets.

So the company's announcement of its “Cadbury Cocoa Partnershipâ€

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:01 am

It is good to see Cadbury stepping up to the plate here, this really is a good move for everyone involved.

Congratulations to Cadbury for this one.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:51 pm

These days one has to think way outside the proverbial box.

Find - Desiderata - read it

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:59 am

Good for them.

How about TELUS loaning it's corporate jet at no cost to deliver donated organs to hospitals in BC when the regular transport was unavailable. :D

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:25 pm

grudey: you don't understand... when TELUS does something like that they're evil and self centred... don't try to make any sense of that it's just the way it is, the pro-unionists say so!

We could also mention the TELUS SafetyNet stuff... TELUS operates 2 sattelite based cell sites on light trucks (SATCOLT) that can be moved to disaster areas quickly by either road or millitary aircraft, they can link existing radio networks along with "mike" handsets (of which they carry 300 on board) to provide communications where none are otherwise possible, and can operate completely self sufficiently for a week without refuelling. these trucks cost over a million dollars each to build, and cost many thousands of dollars a day just to keep in storage (unused satellite air time alone) let alone deploy. TELUS has used these to assist with the large forest fires in BC, as well as helping out at hurricane katrina in the US, among others.

But I'm sure that too is the evil and self centred company...

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:48 pm

:( Oh, I'm sorry, I quit forgetting. I don't know what's wrong with me..... :cry:

wonderer
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby wonderer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:35 pm

Color me confused, but did someone tar and feather TELUS in this thread?

How did we go discussing a story about Cadbury to possible negativity about TELUS?

Maybe LabourTalk should be changed to TELUSTalk as it appears that even the most innocent of threads get twisted into being something about TELUS.

Really, I do not get what's going on here.

There is more to the world then TELUS, no?

BTW, thank you to Cat Lady for posting this story up.

The wonderer

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:49 am

It's just that cat-lady never has anything good to say about TELUS, and the thread was about corporations stepping up to the plate so we were just citing a couple of examples closer to home. Sorry that it offends you.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:32 am

Sorry that it offends you.
Web forums are a place of only truth and honesty. We should ban you for lying - :lol:

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:04 pm

NC, no, you are wrong, I AM sorry it offends wonderer, I just thought it was a great story. :D

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:06 pm

Ahhhhhh, sorry, forgot about your sarcasism. :shock: :lol:

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:09 pm

Now *I* am sorry. Recall that I was banned from VFCert for allegedly lying on their forum. You recall that website... the bastion of truthfullness?

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Given that this thread was originally about Cadbury and the dangers of obesity I think sugar coating pretty much anything is fair game.

:D

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:47 pm

GROANER.....

Return to “Some News Items”