Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Do you support the coalition?

I don't intend that this be filled with daily news items but feel free to put things in here that you think will interest us, or generate discussion.

Do you support the coalition government

Yes
13%
No
88%

Total votes: 8

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Do you support the coalition?

Postby NC » Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:54 am

Let's spin the top off of this one.

Find - Desiderata - read it

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:23 pm

I think the election was quite representative of what the country wanted, they wanted the Conservatives in power, but they wanted a minority so that they would be kept in check by the opposition.

I don't think that anybody in the country wanted Dion as Prime Minister, let alone in what amounts to a majority government position.

Not to mention what most people think of the Bloc's role in this whole thing.

This whole setup is designed to steamroll the Conservatives, they will be spending money with no regards for the consequences and little to no concern for wether it actually produces any results. Right off the top they have promissed to throw away 30 BILLION dollars on a misguided stimulus package, they will throw money at failing business models which won't help anyone, but ensure that those businesses don't have any reason to smarten up and change with the times. Then in a few years when we badly need to inject money in to projects to help the economy, where will it come from?

The Liberals and the NDP both campaigned in the last election on promisses that would destroy jobs, and increase living costs and taxes. Is this what we want going in to a recession?

I also find it quite interesting that this happened immediately after the Conservatives threatened to cancel public funding for political parties... apparently they're just like our union, the only thing that makes them move is the threat of a cut to their income (historical point, the TWU did not respond at all to TELUS' incremental lockout measures until TELUS got to the point of suspending collection of union dues, the TWU then immediately commenced a work to rule campaign.)

My personal guess as to the way things will go however is the following: I expect that the Governor General will agree to prorogue parliament until January, however at that point the Conservatives will immediately loose a confidence motion (because the opposition doesn't care what happens between now and then, they are more interested in the power than in results) and likely at that point the Governor General will hand power over to the opposition. Due to the very recent election I don't believe she is likely to call another one, though I do wish that she would.

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JoePublic » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:41 am

sadly the twu supports this movement....received this email:

This is the TWU Hotline for December 3, 2008

Support a Coalition Government

Canada is facing the greatest economic crisis in decades. Canadians are
worried about their jobs, their savings and their future. Under these
circumstances, our political leaders should be working together for the good
of the country.

If you agree, we ask you to deliver this message by participating in one of
the
following rallies:

* Ottawa, Thursday, Dec. 4th at 12 p.m. on Parliament Hill

* Edmonton, Thursday, Dec. 4th at 6 p.m., Winston Churchill Square, Downtown
Edmonton central

* Vancouver, Thursday, Dec. 4th at 5 p.m., Vancouver Trade & Convention Centre
Ballroom "A"

* Toronto, Saturday, Dec. 6th at 12 p.m., City Hall (Nathan Phillips Square)

* Montreal, Saturday, Dec 6th at 1:00 p.m., Complexe Guy-Favreau

Thank you for calling the TWU Hotline.

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:52 am

I note that they know better than to even bother trying a rally in Calgary...

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JoePublic » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:23 am

I note that they know better than to even bother trying a rally in Calgary...
there is a rally....the twu chose to omit it :lol:

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:49 am

I also note that the unions are organizing the pro-coalition rallies... but the anti-coalition rallies are being organized by private citizens....

So again, as usual, our unions are working against us, and probably wasting our dues to do so.

grudey
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby grudey » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:53 am

Sickening, what else needs to be said.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:58 am

*If* we have an election and *if* Canadians vote for a Conservative Majority that will be proof positive that Unions have been spending member dues to do things "politically" that members do not support. just like the Stelmach union issue in Alberta.

Admin1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby Admin1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:23 pm

I thought my vote counted for something in this country, very pissed off that they decided to do this. I would gladly pay more taxes for the chance to vote on this. Hijacking the government!!!! should not be allowed.

ADMIN1

Just my opinion and I needed to vent.
Thanks

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:51 pm

We always miss you... welcome back, for however short a period.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:19 pm

It has been a very interesting week. I think that we will see big problems with the coalition by the end of January. There is no way that Dion can lead it. they will have to deal with teh leadership issue in order to keep the coalition alive.

Another thing is around historical precedence. The GG in the vast majority of cases will always take the advise of the prime minister. If the government is defeated then Harper will certainly ask for another election and there is a good chance that he will get what he asks for.

The GG is in a tricky position: Appointed by the Liberals and with questions about her maybe being a Quebec soverentist (her husband certainly is). She will likely take the safe path.

my 2 cents. :?

TWwho?

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:57 pm

Calgary Pro-Coalition rally attendance: 75
Calgary Anti-Coalition rally attendance: approximately 2,000

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:06 pm

Rallies on separate days I trust?

JoePublic
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby JoePublic » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:10 pm

yup the pro- on thurs
the anti on saturday --- I thought I saw that it was close to 3000 on saturday

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:14 pm

Any news items on that? I would like to see it.

Return to “Some News Items”