Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

Larry Hubick's blog

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Larry Hubick's blog

Postby NC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:12 pm

I found a Blog by a guy called Larry Hubich - President of the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour.

Needless to say Larry and I have differing view points on such topics as Democracy, Human Rights, and Secret Ballot Voting.

As he does not support secret ballot votes, favouring card certification instead, I asked him if he would support card Decertification too? That is, if more than half a work force sign cards saying they want rid of the union, should we be able to then boot the unions... I am waiting to see if he answers?

Some seem to suggest he just deletes posts he does not like so I snapped a shot of it, let's see how he anwers.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:58 pm

In this same area do you (NC) accept the fact that a company can voluntarily recognize a union with out allowing the emloyees to vote?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:38 pm

No, of course not.. .

If you want a Union, you vote, secretly.

If you don't want a union, you vote, secretly.

Why should it be legal to get a union without a vote if it's not legal to get rid of a union without a vote? There should never be neutrality agreements unless the employees vote for that Union.

That is something about the Magna deal, employee have a secret ballot vote.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:53 pm

Mr. Hubbick greeted me kindly, but then thought I was from LabourWatch.

Seems like a nice fella, to bad he's the President of the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour. He will have some interesting viewpoints on the importance of being able to fine union members though.

Hopefully I will find the time to drill into that topic with him.

Here's the thread over there.. those "Blogs" are a Biyatch" to navigate.
https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogI ... Popup=true

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Mon May 19, 2008 12:30 pm

Well Mr Hubich is crying in his unionized coffee this morning as Bill 6 passed.

He was upset because it gives employees the right to a secret ballot vote, which Mr. Hubich claims is undemocratic, and it moves the level of support for certification vote UP from 25% to 45% and move the level of support required to get a vote for decertification DOWN from 50% to 45%.

To save you the math, in Saskatchewan it used to be that if you wanted a union you had to have 25% support to get a vote and if you wanted rid of a union you had to get twice that, or 50% to get a vote. As an aside, if you git more than 50% for a certification your union was in, no vote. There was not such provision for getting your union out, even if 100% of people signed decert cards.

Mr. Hubich says that was fair.

Also, they have removed card based certification, so there will always be a vote. Larry says that is undemocratic because union drives (Card Signing drives) are democratic but having a secret ballot vote opens the door to employer coercion and intimidation.

So, the President of the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour thinks employers coerce and intimidate and Union card cert drives (Union door knocking campaigns) are democratic.

Sort of gives a great Union style perspective eh?
Last edited by NC on Mon May 19, 2008 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Mon May 19, 2008 7:49 pm

it does indeed

TWwho?

JJ
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby JJ » Wed May 21, 2008 10:34 am

I actually met this guy once, he's a bright fellow. I do not like his politics because he is so skewed, and he is indeed really mad about this. I saw your post (NC) on his blog, and his terse reply. I notice he did not answer your question, which should come as no surprise.

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”