Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

CAW sell-out of workers spreads

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

CAW sell-out of workers spreads

Postby Cat Lady » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:00 am

"Rogue organizations funded by CLC affiliated unions like the CAW are now
using its transaction with Magna as a calling card to employers. When these
'company unions' trade on these sorts of regressive deals to block workers
from lifting themselves out of poverty by joining a legitimate union, workers
across the board suffer. This deal with Hallmark represents the spread of
'company unions' and has to be stopped." said Sharleen Stewart.
Link:

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/arch ... c9179.html

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:31 pm

". . . remember always your duty of enmity towards Man and all his ways. Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy. Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend. And remember also that in fighting against Man, we must not come to resemble him . . . All the habits of Man are evil. And, above all, no animal must ever tyrannise over his own kind. Weak or strong, clever or simple, we are all brothers. No animal must ever kill any other animal. All animals are equal." --Animal Farm, from Old Major's speech

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:24 pm

okay I let it sit for a day. I just watched a documentary on flamingos. The baboons are hunting them in Africa while they feed and breed in a lake. Tigers, polar bears and grizzly bears love the opportunity to eat people. Many animals will eat the offspring of their own. (reminiscent of the twu). So tell us what was the point of that last quote from Animal Farm about? I'm at a loss. Do you wish to be an animal in some imaginary place where they are all equal? I'll stick with the human race, even with all its foibles, but good luck on your quest.

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:25 pm

Sorry W1, the quote was to suggest that Canada's "New Labour" as we're seeing in the CAW, bears a strong relationship to what George Orwell was commenting on in AF. The pigs became human, much as the CAW and Buzz seem to have taken on the role of employer, or employers agent. In the story posted by CL, the CAW's "rat union" appear to have cut a deal that excludes another union that has been attempting to organize the janitors. That deal puts the workers under control of the CAW, with no real union rights. I guess it wasn't really that clear.

---p

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:45 pm

In AF there was also the status of "first among equals." Much like what we have at all unions with regards to their leadership. The wages and the perks that are awarded with the job/position within the union, creates a sense of entitlement. An entitlement that is so rich that it makes it very hard for a union official to return to the shop floor.

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:32 pm

If we paraphrase
And, above all, no union official must ever tyrannise over his own kind. Weak or strong, clever or simple, we are all brothers. No union official must ever kill any other union member. All union members are equal.

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:57 pm

What we see here is more than just raiding another union.

CAW, with the co-operation of the company, has violated the the rights of workers to choose their union.

I hear the train a coming, it's coming round the bend, Clickity - CLAC.

wimpole1
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby wimpole1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:04 pm

p---or cl, or any of you, ever met and talked to Buzz? Have you ever seen what Ontario looks like now that the companies have closed down and left the province? I'm just asking, because I would like to know what your solution to the Auto industry is, or is this, again just spewing and festering for some past issue? Come back and look at our town and you, with all your intuitive knowledge of this place, tell us the answers to the workers in the Auto Industries problems. Dig deeper and be critical of the media that is sending you this information. Call the CAW personally if you can. Don't swallow the whole enchilada at first whiff. Maybe you guys are really trying to slaughter every union in Canada. Give us the name of a better union. TWU? I don't think so.

paulg
Experienced Poster
Experienced Poster

Postby paulg » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:37 pm

W1, sorry we're out in BC an no I haven't met Buzz Hargrove, I just have to live under the current TWU contract, which was brought about with help from Buzz. Who knows, perhaps it would have been worse if the membership hadn't accepted this thing? BTW I don't blame the CAW for the TWU's problems, they were very supportive during the lockout. I just get fed up when I hear of the back room dealing and fighting within the organizations that are supposed to support their members.

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:45 pm

How would I fix the auto industry.

First off I would get Buzz (if I had his ear) to stop with his "no concessions rhetoric" - I hope that it’s not a hill to die on. The US has made concessions and now it’s Canada’s turn if we are to remain competitive. I don’t want to see the Canadian workers taken to the street just to end up with a “best we can do under the circumstancesâ€

green1
Veteran Poster
Veteran Poster

Postby green1 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:04 pm

it’s Canada’s turn if we are to remain competitive
so why do you think that the auto industry has to remain competitive on the global market, and yet you don't think that the telecom industry should do the same? isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:32 pm

it’s Canada’s turn if we are to remain competitive
so why do you think that the auto industry has to remain competitive on the global market, and yet you don't think that the telecom industry should do the same? isn't that a bit hypocritical?
Do I?

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:39 pm

Beware of Phony "Unions"
AFL warns workers about Company Unions & CLAC

Alberta Federation of Labour President Gil McGowan is warning workers in the province to take a careful look at some of the "unions" that are supposed to represent them.

"Anti-union employers have always used a variety of tools to try to prevent workers from exercising their democratic right to union representation," says McGowan. "One of these tools is the 'dummy' union - established with the cooperation of the employer to block the formation of a real union representing the workers' interests."

Provincial union leaders have long argued that Alberta's labour laws put obstacles in the way of legitimate unions trying to organize workers. Employers can use loopholes in the law to threaten and intimidate workers, refuse to bargain with the union, and employ professional strikebreakers.

"But the dummy or 'rat' union," McGowan points out, "comes into the workplace with the full cooperation of the boss. Workers are encouraged to sign up, and the employer will either help the 'union' win the certification vote or offer 'voluntary recognition', eliminating the need for a vote by the employees."

Read the rest here:

http://www.afl.org/campaigns-issues/Pho ... efault.cfm

alec
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby alec » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:24 pm

I had a chance to talk to Buss a couple of weeks back. It was very interesting. I got the impression that he not only belives in the path that he has chosen but he belives that he has very few options and this is the best way to keep the union alive. It was sort of a "sacrifice some of the flesh to keep the core alive" sort of thing.

He didn't sound very happy about it. I was inpressed in that he comes accross as a man of very deep passion towards his job. I didn't agree with him much and told him so. He was polite andf respectful to my point of view which I appeciated. One of his entourage was very impolite to me and buzz told him to knock it off.

A very fascinating experience. How much of what happens is just unions reliving the past. How tough is it to change directions?

TWwho?

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:11 am

Sounds like a recent conversation i had with Vince Ready. Respectful but wary.

Find - Desiderata - read it

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”