Hey everyone. I got some time to do the latest update to the board software, but it meant that all the old modifications and styles wouldn't work anymore. So, here you have the newest iteration of LabourTalk. Please let me know by Private Message if you run into any issues with the new styling. Some new features on the board are:

• Latest HTML5 Responsive Styling - You can now see a new, more modern styling on the board. Along with this, you can resize the browser to see the board change with it. The board is now functional on all sizes of screens, including your cell phone, table and desktop/laptop.
  • Post Sharing - Although you could previously, the new layout means the sharing icons are more visible on the lower right hand corner of each post. Click your favourite social media outlet to share the desired post with them.
  • Multiple Themes - Previously there was only one theme in an attempt to lower the workload when modifications were put in place. Fortunately, the new modification system is much simpler to implement and we now have multiple colour options for you to enjoy. You can change these from your User Control Panel under the Board Settings heading.
  • Announcements - Announcements can now be posted here (where you're seeing this one) and, in most cases, can be dismissed. To dismiss them, please click the "X" in the top right corner of this box.
  • Collapsing Categories - Categories, such as News & Announcements or Welcome (below), can be collapsed to clear up some of the clutter. This state should be maintained as long as you're logged in.

We hope you like the changes!

When unions help to sweep serious issues under the carpet

For posting of generic news and event surrounding Labour Issues in Canada
Hue Jass
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

When unions help to sweep serious issues under the carpet

Postby Hue Jass » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:03 pm

I have been a union member all of my life. In the past few years I noticed a change in the way unions conduct business. Recently one of my fellow union brothers witnesses a sexual assault in the workplace. When he brought forward the fact that he witnessed the abuse he was fired. When he went to the union leadership for help they said he was not a member of the union. There's no doubt in my mind this guy was a dues-paying member of the union. The union based their decision to exclude him on information they received from the employer which also happens to be the man that committed the sexual assaults. The union knew about the assault before they made their decision. I can't believe this has happened. The case is now before the BC Labour Relations Board. I have read that less than 5% of the Section 12 cases (Duty of Fair Representation) are successful at the labour board. The Crown/RCMP have laid criminal charges (sexual assault). My fellow brother is now seeking whistle-blower protection from the provincial government. Any comments would be appreciated.

Cat Lady
Advanced Poster
Advanced Poster

Postby Cat Lady » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:15 pm

What union would this be...?

Your forum name suggests sexual harrassment.

Hue Jass
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Hue Jass » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 pm

Actually, my daughter (teenager) gave me my forum name. It has nothing to do with the issue. Maybe I should have used another name?

It is the CUPE union that failed to respond to the call for help. The case is both sexual assault and sexual harassment. Some of the incidents fall within the Criminal Code and others fall within the Human Rights Code. The assaults and harassment poisened the work environment.

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:54 pm

Nah it's a great name... I laughed mine off when I saw it, keep the name.

Some folks take that sort of stuff to seriously, welcome, and sorry for the delay getting you approved. been a hairy week. Now I'll read your post.

Find - Desiderata - read it

NC
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Postby NC » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:04 am

I would hazard a guess at CUPE... and with a bit of tired digging could look for section 12's in the BCLRB docket and probably come up with a name, but that may not be what Jass wants.

Can you give more details and we may be able to stir or generate some interest from without.

Like, whose hearing the case? Why BCLRB and not Human Rights, where your bills are paid for you?

If you would rather just email some stuff to me, you can do that and we can work out how much can safely be disseminated. There's some pretty knowledgeable folks on this site - from both pro non union so you're in good company.

I may move this thread out of Telus, but it's pretty slow now so I may just leave it too. nc@labourtalk.org

Find - Desiderata - read it

Hue Jass
Rookie Poster
Rookie Poster

Postby Hue Jass » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:40 am

The case is in the hands of Bruce Wilkins. Both the union and company have responded to the initial complaint. My fellow union brother has provided a submission to their response. The company's submission is unbelieveable in a true sense. They went as far to say there were no criminal charges. There's no doubt there are...I read it in the newspaper and saw it on TV. I am not sure what happens next at the labour board.

The case is also before the Human Rights Tribunal. The "company" is actually a public corporation (owned by the people). They are spending big money in lawyers in an effort to get the human rights case dismissed. The woman that was harassed/assaulted was on the board of directors. The man that abused her was the Chairman of the board. The company is saying there was no imbalance of power between the two (they were both directors of the corporation) therefore the issue does not fit within the scope of the Human Rights Code. It is sickening that public funds can be used in this manner. Especially knowing when the issue was brought to light rather than conducting and investigation they fired the guy. The woman that was harassed/assaulted and also another member of the board resigned. She told me she had to put her own best interests first therefore could not properly represent the people.

Return to “National - Canadian Labour Issues”